Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Convention Center Garage

Default Re: Convention Center Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    No, it was not destroyed and, yes, it could have been restored. Have you all seen some of the buildings that have been restored? Just look at those houses on 9th street as an example and they were just simple buildings.
    Exactly this. Look, if the Marion Hotel building at NW 10th and Broadway could be saved, *almost* anything else can be saved too. I don't know if y'all recall, but the Marion was in extremely rough shape before rehabilitation began. The interior structure had to be mostly rebuilt. This is what it looked like before renovation started: http://www.abandonedok.com/the-marion/ (see also: http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=29747)

But the Marion still had some of it's original bones, and was rebuilt within it's original footprint. I see some people calling to preserve the original building facades of the buildings before the OG&E data center went in, but... facadism is just hideous. I mean, just look at these examples from the UK: https://www.theguardian.com/artandde...oric-buildings I wouldn't want that anywhere near OKC. So if the facade hidden under those gold panels is the only original part of the building left, I see little value in keeping the shell just to place a modern building behind the mask. The damage has already been done, the soul of the building is already gone.

The U.K. article... wow. That is awful.

Blog Entries

Had a friend who lived in the basement of the Marion before it was gutted-remodeled; gave him a ride home, he invited me inside, when I went to use the bathroom; quickly decided to put my person business on hold--head for home. The bathroom was such a mess, a cow would have to declined to stand over the commode let alone sit.

I know we've steered off topic; let's keep this thread alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    Had a friend who lived in the basement of the Marion before it was gutted-remodeled; gave him a ride home, he invited me inside, when I went to use the bathroom; quickly decided to put my person business on hold--head for home. The bathroom was such a mess, a cow would have to declined to stand over the commode let alone sit.

I know we've steered off topic; let's keep this thread alive.
    That place had been a dump for years. There were a couple other ones I remember on that same block from years ago. The Lincoln Inn ( I think ) was on the north side of 10th street about 3 stories. I knew the owner and it was a total dump and I think it was finally torn down. There was a little bar (10th st Lounge maybe) down the street and I think most of the folks that lived there and the Marion spent about 90% of their time at that bar.

Blog Entries

^

Yesterday, having seen the agenda item to approve the seeking of demolition bids, I asked Cathy O'Connor about OG&E's move and subsequent demo of their Gold Building next to the Omni.

She said she wasn't sure if they had completely relocated to the new location off Britton, but per their sales agreement had to be out by the end of March and OCURA would be seeking demo bids now so they could be ready to pull those buildings down in April.

The city has to start construction on the parking garage by this summer in order to be finished in time for the Omni opening, which is a contractual obligation.

Update on the convention center garage.

No decisions have been made on colors, lighting, and general materials.

COTPA intends for the public art to be a part of the exterior aesthetics adding dimension and style using 4” x 4” colored glass tiles. I believe the tiles will be similar to was was used in the Arts District Garage by the same architect, TAP.

# Floors: 6 plus basement
    # Spaces: 1,100 plus
    Total Square Feet: 412,645
    Estimated costs: $27,979,172 which does not include the ART 1%
    Timeline: Bid in Summer, Anticipated completion Fall of 2020

By my count last night, there are seven cranes (four in ground, three mobile) at the surrounding area right now. I would assume we would get two or more for the parking garage?

9. Lightbulb Re: Convention Center Garage

garage looks ok but I really wish they would include retail on the first floor fronting Shields/EK Gaylord Blvd and also in front of the Fairfield. Perhaps have another underground floor to compensate.

In fact, Great spot for a grocery and/or CVS/Walgreens.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

A couple more renderings.

They have submitted to design review.

i wonder if the sky bridge connecting the parking garge to the CC is aproved or an Add Alt??

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    i wonder if the sky bridge connecting the parking garge to the CC is aproved or an Add Alt??
    That was my question as well. The top pic doesn't have it on the overhead rendering, but the bottom pic does.

This design really is boring to the eyes. I wish they would atleast do something similar to the new parking garage being built in Tulsa
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DEB47177-2BFD-40EA-9F47-BAB8AC4F89B8.jpeg 
Views:	223 
Size:	73.6 KB 
ID:	15202

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    That was my question as well. The top pic doesn't have it on the overhead rendering, but the bottom pic does.
    The top pic is a plan view and I do believe it shows where the sky bridge would be (left corner) The plan is just cut down to the first floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Sooner.Arch View Post
    This design really is boring to the eyes. I wish they would atleast do something similar to the new parking garage being built in Tulsa
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DEB47177-2BFD-40EA-9F47-BAB8AC4F89B8.jpeg 
Views:	223 
Size:	73.6 KB 
ID:	15202
    There will be a colored glass facade as a part of this that will be approved separately.

They are doing a Call to Artists and will be using 1% of the total budget, which is now required for city projects.

They started tearing down some of the old oge building. Saw the brick!

Blog Entries

somebody get pics!

Blog Entries

So, the convention center garage will cost considerably less than $30 million.

I took these Monday:

From lunch today. Getting busy.

Based on what I have seen from removed sections of cladding, there isnt much left worth saving, if we even did want to keep parts of it. Damage was done several decades ago.

Broadcast tower being dismantled (taken today)

From today:

It will be completely gone before the end of next week.

Sure hope they are careful in saving that gold material. Gotta be a great item to repurpose.

Thread Information