Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Convention Center Garage

Default Re: Convention Center Garage

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    If you look closely at the "6" if you will, you can see where it connect, there is a pass through that goes to the courtyard. The "G" shows the over head and likely what it would look like if units weren't above the pass through.

Not sure if that makes sense or not...
    It totally does, and I saw the pass through on the 6 under the units. I was wondering if maybe they were toying with two different ideas (units above the pass through and not) and the images were one from each. I suppose looking at the whole package would tell that story.

You guys have me second-guessing my first impression. As I said on the other thread, I'm not always the best at judging renderings, but I find the look of Boulevard Place to be austere and brutal. Some of the comments above reinforce that: "street wall," "imposing," etc. I'm a huge density proponent and avowed urbanist, so I love a good street wall. But I think this city needs more points of interaction along pedestrian corridors as opposed to endless superblocks. With my very untrained eye, Carlton Place appears to have a much friendlier street connection, IMO, and I admit I kind of like Two West, although it seems like it's trying too hard architecturally. I will be curious if I end up liking that one the most or even Boulevard Place, because like I've said I don't always have the ability to decode renderings as well as others. I have no clue what Elliot's design is all about but it looks depressing.
    Last edited by soonerguru; 05-15-2018 at 11:07 AM. Reason: typo

Even though Blvd Place is slightly more intimidating than the others, the fact that it will be taller is a bonus in this instance because it will be visible from the Bricktown side of the RR viaduct. That in itself will help to spur some pedestrian interaction between the two areas. I’m not normally a height over street interaction person, but in this instance I think it’s a fair trade off. Appears there is street retail space too so it wouldn’t be a completely dead sidewalk interaction.

Of the proposals, I honestly think I like Two West the most. I really like how the design emulates some of the architectural features from the convention center, and it does a very good job of feeling fresh and modern - and that it's proposed by a local developer. Love the allowance for patio space for a restaurant on the NW corner too. I do like the amount of green space provided, though I wish the frontage along Shields was better... In something this close to the core, it feels like the building's mass should be up to the street. I'm also not a huge fan of the angled parking along OKC Boulevard, either... those spots look like an absolute nightmare to get out of. I like the amount of access provided to the garage - there are entrances/exits on the Boulevard, Broadway, and 4th - but I think the Boulevard access could snarl traffic here. The Carlton Residential proposal does much better at massing at the street, and I like the wide plaza in front, but something about the design of the building feels awfully... suburban. I don't think this is the best fit for this location, but I definitely would love to see this design get built somewhere else in the metro. The Boulevard Place proposal is pretty great too, and is a very close second favorite. Love the height (8 floors!), the amount of ground floor retail, the designed-in patio space for a restaurant on the north-west corner of the building, and the fact that it's an Oklahoma-based developer. However, I don't think they've done enough to accentuate the north-east corner, as that corner will be super visible from the Boulevard/Shields intersection. That corner just doesn't feel inviting to me, and the rest of the exterior feels more bland than the other proposals... It feels more like a corporate tower vs a residential project. Reminds me a lot of the Oklahoma Tower, actually.

And then there's the Farzaneh/Rand Elliott proposal, which is just breathtakingly... ugh. The design, to me, is reminiscent of either a 60's-era Days Inn (and not in a good way), or a parking garage that's been converted to apartments. The design is downright depressing. I couldn't agree more with the "6th place in a field of 4 contenders" comment. Hard pass.

Blog Entries

All of these projects blend with others in the upper/lower Bricktown district. Two West as baralheia mentioned does blend better among the group with the proposed convention center. Just don't have a preference at this point.

Pete mentioned the submissions by the Tulsa & Dallas developers; they just may have the inside track which may make it a two development race.

The comment from one of the developers about "who would want to leave their kids in a place like this?" was so unintentionally hilarious. Dollars to donuts the speaker of that quote lives in Edmond.

John Rex elementary is just a few blocks away, for crying out loud! People leave their kids there all the time!!

BLVD Place is the best out of those. The height, rooftop pool, solid streetwall. A+

The amount of street level retail in Boulevard Place is a big part of why it appeals to me. The additional floors compared to the other plans are a nice bonus that I think might feel better next to the Omni.

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorTaco View Post
    The comment from one of the developers about "who would want to leave their kids in a place like this?" was so unintentionally hilarious. Dollars to donuts the speaker of that quote lives in Edmond.

John Rex elementary is just a few blocks away, for crying out loud! People leave their kids there all the time!!
    In addition, It would be great to have more areas for children directly adjacent to areas intended for adults so that the whole family can spend an evening out while both doing things they enjoy. Imagine an outdoor patio where you could go have dinner and a drink while you watch your kid play in a playground next door. Downtown should be a place where all people can feel comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    BLVD Place is the best out of those. The height, rooftop pool, solid streetwall. A+
    I love the amount of retail space on this one. My only negative here is the lack of pedestrian oriented frontage on gaylord. Also, I seem to be in the overwhelming minority of people who think Rand's design is interesting. It's not breathtaking but at least it isn't as cookie cutter and cliche as the other designs. Overall I like Blvd place and Carlton the best.

My favorite is 2 West, because I think it's the most interesting to look at. Then BP. Carlton Place is fine. Not very appealing to me, but fine. And let's just all agree not to mention that other proposal.

Blog Entries

I just feel like the scale of BLVD is better with the Omni next door.

13. Default Re: Convention Center Garage

Looking at them again, I do agree that Carlton does seem to have the best pedestrian interaction. I'm not a fan of the main corner with Two West featuring the gym.

I just noticed the 10 foot tall 2W sign. That's impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldFire View Post
    Looking at them again, I do agree that Carlton does seem to have the best pedestrian interaction. I'm not a fan of the main corner with Two West featuring the gym.
    I don’t really understand this point of view. Blvd place has retail and access all along the Blvd. more so than any of the other 3. Plus a day care entrance along shields

Which ever one gives the most retail space should win. I think parking is the primary use, then retail as the secondary need along the Blvd. If we are prioritizing residential over these two -- it should have been a requirement for the Omni to incorporate. The Omni did this in it's new Louisville facility, we could've asked for it here. Two of these proposals are acceptable and really the the latter of the two is just "adequate" IMO. Approve the BLVD.

Blvd Place > Carlton > 2 West ( Only due to my limited understanding of retail space in this one) > the Elliot design is nice, but it isnt right for an entertainment section. Put that in Midtown
    Last edited by DallasOkie086; 05-17-2018 at 03:04 PM. Reason: double post

18. Default Re: Convention Center Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    I don’t really understand this point of view. Blvd place has retail and access all along the Blvd. more so than any of the other 3. Plus a day care entrance along shields
    You are right, I had looked at it wrong. Blvd Place by far has the most retail when looking at the actual plans rather than just the renderings as I initially did.

OCURA is going to name the 'conditional redeveloper' at its meeting on Wednesday afternoon.

They purposely left the name of the preferred submission to the RFP off their agenda items.

20. Default Re: Convention Center Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ...They purposely left the name of the preferred submission to the RFP off their agenda items.
    What conclusion are we supposed to draw from this part of your post?

I think Pete meant if the name had been on the agenda he would have announced it in his post.

Today, OCURA named Bouelvard Place as the conditional developer / development.

See first post in this thread for details.

Fantastic, just what I was hoping for.

Hooray!!

Boulevard Place added a new video and a few new renderings to their website:

http://boulevardplaceokc.com/

Thread Information