Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Alley Cafe

Default Re: Alley Cafe

Quote Originally Posted by BridgeBurner View Post
    Please tell me it's still Top Cat holding a turkey
    Haha... One can only hope!

There is only one review on Yelp, and here it is:

Please do not let the sanitized Facebook reviews fool you. This place is a disappointment all around. First, a group of four of us went for lunch. Three of us ordered crab rangoons. The server brought out spring rolls, said "We made the wrong thing. You eat this anyway," and left it at that. When she returned, we asked her why we didn't get crab rangoons, and she told us not to waste food. I get being conscientious, but I ordered something else. Oh well.

I went ahead and ordered what I wanted - crab rangoons - and when they brought those out, I popped one open. It was a fried dumpling. With pork and veggies. On any other day, cool, I like friend dumplings, but today _I ordered crab rangoons._ I asked the manager over, and I said, "I'm sorry sir, but we ordered crab rangoons."

He said, "That's what those are."

"Is there crab in here?"

"No, there's no crab. It's just the shape."

Color me educated on Asian cuisine for the very first time ever. When they brought me my check, not only were the non-crab-crab-rangoons on there, but also the spring rolls. Rather than continue this circus, I paid for my tab in full and left a small tip. However, the shenanigans and lack of customer service (they argued with one of my coworkers when she said she didn't want to pay for the mishap) means I won't be back. I don't recommend you waste your time or money on their overpriced, inaccurate menu.

I walk down 23rd Street fairly often and I have literally never seen more than a few people in this place. How is it still open?

They are closed today. I hope it is permanent. Couldn't have happened to nicer people.

They are still operating, as I've been by there a few times and their 'open' sign is illuminated and all the lights are on, although I've never seen anyone in there other than the owner sitting there by herself and texting.

And unfotunately, no swanky Top Cat will be featured on on their sign.

"LUNCH 11AM - ??? DINNER ??? - 10PM"

Oh cool...

That was one of the most honest reviews I have read in the Gazette! Great job!

Quote Originally Posted by schrist View Post
    That was one of the most honest reviews I have read in the Gazette! Great job!
    Jacob Threadgill does a great job and is always honest; it's about the only place in OKC where you get can a real restaurant review apart from social media.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Jacob Threadgill does a great job and is always honest; it's about the only place in OKC where you get can a real restaurant review apart from social media.
    Agreed, he's a great food critic, I had already emailed the previous owners of the Gazette shortly after he came on board to let them know how good he is, but I'll reiterate it here to the current owner.

And just to be clear, even though the Gazette accepts restaurant advertising, our editorial staff (like Mr. Threadgill) and our sales department are completely separate.

In fact, the salespeople are purposely excluded from knowing about paper content until they read it like everyone else.

Also true with 'Best of' winners.

And unlike the Oklahoman, we do not publish paid content.

These seem like small things but are huge in terms of journalistic integrity and principals not shared by the Oklahoman and most local news sources.

From social media...

Looks like it is associated with this catering company:

https://www.reworleanscatering.com/

So is it now Rew Orleans brought to you by Alley Cafe?

There are some things in life not meant to be understood...

It looks like they've reopened with the Cajun concept. Has anyone been?

I've been by there a couple of times.

The first time was 1PM and they were closed. Second time it was about 7PM and there wasn't one person in there other than the owner standing behind the bar. It was so weird and uncomfortable I didn't even go in.

No menu is posted. Interior is unchanged apart from a few mardi gras masks on the tables.

I called the Rew Orleans catering outfit that I assume is now somehow involved, but maybe not. They never returned my call.

There is nothing about this place that looks welcoming. It looks dark and cheap, the amount of money the owners are throwing away with the lack of business has to be huge.

I found an Instagram account - https://www.instagram.com/alley_cafeokc_rew_orleans... No idea if it's the official account or not. I assume it is since there are photos of the old Alley Cafe in there too. Going with that assumption: it looks like there's some additional confirmation that the original Alley Cafe owners brought in the chef from Rew Orleans Catering (Reuben Carey) to run the kitchen. The photos of the food look pretty good, as does the menu - it's all cajun and creole cooking now. Hours appear to be Monday through Saturday, 5pm-10pm. Lunch service will be starting July 5th; lunch hours will be Monday through Saturday, 11am-2pm. No clue if it's any good or not, but I think I'm going to have to check it out - if for no other reason than to try their crawfish and shrimp etouffee.

^

Thanks!

Yes, it is the same chef behind the catering business. Have no idea why he won't call me back.

It looks like he is legit and the food items seems interesting.

I have a pet theory that is some bizarre money laundering front. Like, they connect to the old "underground tunnels" and are doing... I dunno, stuff?

Clearly a joke, but this is a weird story to watch develop.

Went by last night -- a Saturday -- around 7PM and it was open but completely empty.

Tons of people all around, too. At Bunker, Scottie's, and the Tower.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantison View Post
    I have a pet theory that is some bizarre money laundering front. Like, they connect to the old "underground tunnels" and are doing... I dunno, stuff?

Best theory I've heard yet. That or some kind of twisted tax write off scheme.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantison View Post

This place is owned by the Truong-Thana super massage chair grocery Chinese medicine market. I’ve long theorized that it’s a front of some kind. They don’t need the money. Unwilling to sell. Obviously not in the business of being in business. Odd.

Was going to ask if anybody had eaten here yet, we were thinking about going before we see Flying Lotus at the Tower in Aug, but then I saw a couple of pictures on Yelp of a "muffaletta", and wow, just wow...

https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/rew-...INWEYq1I_fhRTg

https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/rew-...INWEYq1I_fhRTg

Thread Information