Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Uncle Julio's

Default Re: Uncle Julio's

OkAtty,
    I'm not a fan of guacamole but I'm also not a fajita fan but the next time I go I will order fajitas with chili peppers (not bell peppers) and a cheesy sauce instead of guacamole. I'm an odd duck. I hate bell peppers.
    C. T.

I have a similar opinion of bell peppers, but I order fajitas quite commonly and just pick the meat out from between the peppers and onions.

On a related note, I particularly like the steak fajitas at Uncle Julio's.

3. Default Re: Uncle Julio's

My wife and I dined here a couple weeks ago. We really liked the atmosphere; enjoyed a couple drinks by the fire on the patio while we waited for a table. Will be nice in the spring with the views of the pond and fountains.

I had the combo enchilada plate and I liked it, but don't remember anything memorable about it. I really enjoyed the queso blanco, and the drinks we ordered were plenty potent. Service was pretty good too. I hadn't seen the chocolate pinata before, but the table next to ours got one. Looks fun.

Food: 7
    Service: 8
    Atmosphere: 9
    Value: 5

Over all, I'd give it a 7. It was a bit pricey for the food we received, but for a nice date-night out it was a fun experience. We probably won't be going regularly, but is a nice once-in-a-while place for us.

And I don't care what the food snobs say, places like Ted's, Alfredo's, etc. are just fine and a better value if you don't require an upscale experience every place you eat.

Blog Entries

We broke in their patio for spring 2019 late yesterday afternoon - you could tell it had not been used much. Food was going to the wrong tables, service was generally haphazard, etc. But with that weather there was nothing material to complain about.

There were quite a few people up on the Chalk upstairs patio as well.

I am in full scale "spring fever" mode.

We tried Julio's and for the money, I don't think we'll be back. Service was pretty slow, it was loud and crowded. The food was so-so. I remember eating at Julio's in Dallas 20ish years ago and it was outstanding. Very spicy, strong flavors, great environment, cost similar to other tex mex joints. They've gone corporate and it shows. Able's is still the best in town.

Blog Entries

I'd take the food at Abel's every time over UJ. Best thing I have had at UJ is the table side guac.

However, that UJ patio, the swirls and some nachos were just fine for that perfect weather yesterday.

Yes, it's way overpriced for what you get. No complaints on the food -- it's good, but we don't think it's worth the cost. Abel's exceeds UJ's in cost and taste. This is not the same Uncle Julio's I used to eat at in the DFW area growing up. I also agree that it's very loud in there with nothing to absorb sounds.

I honestly don't know how they can manage their staff for that massive patio.

When the weather is nice, it's completely full. Otherwise, virtually empty.

I suspect they do their best to call people in to meet the demand but you just have to know the staff gets stretched when you get a particularly nice day and people flock into that big outdoor space.

Blog Entries

^I think that is exactly right. Yesterday they were overrun since it was so nice. By the time we left, every table outside was full. We had at least 4 servers try to give us food we didn't order. It was a nice place to be regardless!

10. Default Re: Uncle Julio's

The problem I see with Uncle Julio's is that they are using an outdated POS system that it creating lag time on the patio. I'm the OKC Sales Exec for Toast, Inc. out of Boston and restaurants are just now noticing how new technology can improve sales and customer service. My Toast Go that is rated #1 and launched in May 2018 is the best in the industry. I allows servers to take orders table side and send drink orders to the bar and food to the kitchen without leaving the patio. This keeps servers where they need to be and food runners getting the food out to the tables. So much time is wasted with servers taking orders on paper and running inside to use the POS terminals to input orders. Until restaurants understand and accept the changes happening with technology and stick with their Legacy POS systems the **** show on the patio will continue and that leaves customers unhappy.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottCole1212 View Post
    The problem I see with Uncle Julio's is that they are using an outdated POS system that it creating lag time on the patio. I'm the OKC Sales Exec for Toast, Inc. out of Boston and restaurants are just now noticing how new technology can improve sales and customer service. My Toast Go that is rated #1 and launched in May 2018 is the best in the industry. I allows servers to take orders table side and send drink orders to the bar and food to the kitchen without leaving the patio. This keeps servers where they need to be and food runners getting the food out to the tables. So much time is wasted with servers taking orders on paper and running inside to use the POS terminals to input orders. Until restaurants understand and accept the changes happening with technology and stick with their Legacy POS systems the **** show on the patio will continue and that leaves customers unhappy.
    toast is a fine product but to say that they can't have great service on the patio without it simple is not true ...

12. Default Re: Uncle Julio's

I say put it to the test and figure it out. Evidently the way they operate isn't happening.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottCole1212 View Post
    I say put it to the test and figure it out. Evidently the way they operate isn't happening.
    currently they are a smashing success .....

they basicly just opened their patio for the season ... i'm sure they will be more than fine

14. Default Re: Uncle Julio's

I never said or meant to imply that they weren't a smashing success. I was there last summer on 3 different times and noticed the same situation. Never said that they lacked in customer service just suggesting how they could improve servicing their customers which is #1 in the restaurant industry. My clients at Chisholm Creek are; Hatch, Sidecar (uses Toast Go on the patio), Chalk and Birra Birra.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    toast is a fine product but to say that they can't have great service on the patio without it simple is not true ...
    Sweet, while we are shamelessly promoting, can I suggest aloha, focus, square up? How about micros, it seemlessly puts servers in a position for customers to pay for their meals. Have I mentioned lightspeed, upserve, or touch bistro? #spamflag

Back to UJ's, they seem to be absolutely killing it at Chisholm Creek.

You can certainly find much cheaper and even better food, but they have a winning combination of beautiful space, great presentation and their prices and food are good enough to attract big crowds.

^^^ Yes they and another place that is amazing and does really well is Yokozuna.

Blog Entries

Went to UJ’s today - they are now using a pay at the table system through a small tablet which does a default 20% tip that you can adjust up or down. We were last there in mid-March and it is new since that time anyway.

They have now reopened.

had uncle julio's last night for the first time in a while and had a very good experience ..

they had the very back closed off (i'm sure because of lack of staff) but had the entire patio open and the rest of the restaurant full ..

we had very good food and service ..

nice to see them back finding their groove

21. Default Re: Uncle Julio's

I don't know why it gets unwarranted hate, but I have never had a bad experience or meal there. The patio is real nice after dark.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard at Remax View Post
    I don't know why it gets unwarranted hate, but I have never had a bad experience or meal there. The patio is real nice after dark.
    I really like it.

It's expensive for Mexican food but sometimes it's great just to go to a nicer place and have a nice evening.

Yeah that's my only real gripe about it is that it's a little overpriced. Food and atmosphere are both very good though.

Uncle Julio's is pretty solid, but there are much better Texas-based Tex Mex restaurants that are fajita-focused that I would love to see here.

El Tiempo in Houston would kill it here: https://www.eltiempocantina.com/

25. Default Re: Uncle Julio's

I'm a big Lupe Tortilla fan too

Thread Information