Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Uncle Julio's

Far North Uncle Julio's

Opens May 22nd.

Default Re: Uncle Julio's

Pete,
    Funny, I was fast forwarding my dvd while watching NCIS and noticed a commercial for Uncle Julio's. So, I looked it up and sure enough, there it is just East of the Ifly location. Anybody know anything about them. As a disabled person in an old folks home on 178th near Western, a place like this sounds interesting. Has this been discussed at all on OKCTalk? I haven't seen anything about it but the construction apparently is complete and opening in three weeks?
    C. T.

I haven't been here in years, but we used to go in Ft. Worth in college. Their fajitas were some of the best I've had... I hope this location lives up to my memory.

Hey C.T., We're practically neighbors then. I also stop in the Louie's and Upper Crust at that intersection on occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by rezman View Post
    Hey C.T., We're practically neighbors then. I also stop in the Louie's and Upper Crust at that intersection on occasion.
    Rezman,
    Well, Louie's is .2 miles from me and I go there about four to five times a week. I always sit at the bar on the far West end and I go there on a mobility scooter so it's hard to miss me. I've only been to Upper Crust once. I don't eat out a lot since meals are provided here at the former Edmond Mansions that is now Silver Elms. If you come, look for me at the bar and I will buy you and yours a drink.
    C. T.

HA!... I walk my dog around the track at the school right behind there. .....Forgive me for going off topic by the way.

We’ve eaten at a couple of their DFW locations over the years, including one just last week. We really like it. I find it very similar to Pappasitos.

I’m actually looking forward to this as OKC’s Tex-Mex offerings are fairly meager.

My wife and I are very excited about this. Uncle Julio's is our favorite Tex Mex place in Dallas. We eat there EVERY time we go to the Metroplex.

I'm going to a preview on Friday and will be sure take lots of photos.

It's a super cool setting, especially the large patio facing the small lake.

Blog Entries

Haven't been to an U. J. in awhile, but I seem to remember their margaritas and swirls fondly... and their shrimp fajitas.

12. Default Re: Uncle Julio's

Good Tex Mex! Miss it from when we lived in The DFW area. We got a Chueys coming in a few blocks from us that we're looking forward to for a Tex Mex fix

They do have great margaritas and swirls! The fajitas are really great! Very popular in DFW area. Quality food.

Advance look at Oklahoma's first Uncle Juilo's

Set for its grand opening on May 22nd, we got an advance look and taste at Uncle Julio's in Chisholm Creek.

Originating in Dallas in 1986, the company now has over 30 locations in 8 states.

It's a slightly upscale version of Tex-Mex featuring fresh ingredients and many items made from scratch.

There is a large bar area with a wide selection of margaritas and other drinks, and a huge patio facing the lake and wrapping around to the south. The interior is beautifully finished.

We were able to sample from a limited menu and enjoy large portions of savory fajitas, freshly-made tortillas, quesadillas, guacamole, queso, chips and fire-roasted salsa.

Uncle Julio's is the first opening at The Pointe at Chisholm Creek, a collection of restaurants and future retail surrounding a small lake with LED-illuminated jet water features.

There is also a small amphiteather, a fire pit and extensive landscaping.

Soon to join Uncle Julio's is Firebirds, Birra Birra, Hopdoddy and Chalk, with a deal very near finished with Alamo Drafthouse and several other restaurants and bars.

Immediately adjacent in Chisholm's Tract 30, Burn by Rocky Patel will be opening soon.

Uncle Julio's opens Tuesday at 1334 W. Memorial. Reservations can be made through OpenTable.

We were able to sample from a limited menu and enjoy large portions of savory fajitas, freshly-made tortillas, quesadillas, guacamole, queso, chips and fire-roasted salsa.
    But was it any good?

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
    But was it any good?
    VERY

I had never eaten at an UJ's before and was impressed.

Gorgeous spot and I had the carnitas fajitas and they were way more flavorful than standard places. For Tex-Mex, I think this is about as good as it gets but you pay more money for everything they have to offer, but to me it's worth it.

The patio faces east and is about half covered and then later in the day even the open-air space is in the shade. I can see lots of evenings hanging out there.

The Pointe development there (everything around that small lake) has really come together with lots of landscape, a sound system, etc. The other places are coming along fast. That whole development is going to generate a ton of business.

I was able to try this place the other night as well. The fajitas were fantastic the roasted tomato salsa was fresh and full of smoky flavor. We also were able to try the piñata desert which was maybe enough for 8-10. A hard chocolate ball hung on a hook over a tray of whip cream Carmel and chocolate. You bust it open and churros and fruit fall out. It was very good and would make a great group dessert

A reminder that Uncle Julio's opened today.

They take reservations through OpenTable.

I like that this place looks slightly more upscale than a typical Mexican restaurant. I may have to try this out next time I'm on the North side.

They're the ones with the fresh moving guac station, right?

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    I was able to try this place the other night as well. The fajitas were fantastic the roasted tomato salsa was fresh and full of smoky flavor. We also were able to try the piñata desert which was maybe enough for 8-10. A hard chocolate ball hung on a hook over a tray of whip cream Carmel and chocolate. You bust it open and churros and fruit fall out. It was very good and would make a great group dessert
    We got that dessert last year in Grapevine. The presentation and product makes it worth the lofty price so I highly recommend it for special occasions.

We are excited to try it out and will report back. Despite so many restaurants offering “Tex-Mex” items, OKC’s options pale in comparison to those in DFW, Austin and San Antonio. I’m hoping for something that is a better approximation of the good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    We are excited to try it out and will report back. Despite so many restaurants offering “Tex-Mex” items, OKC’s options pale in comparison to those in DFW, Austin and San Antonio. I’m hoping for something that is a better approximation of the good stuff.
    You do realize the irony in your critique, right? 3 of those areas are not like the 4th.

There may be irony in a scholastic sense, but I'm willing to bet that cities such as Chicago or Atlanta have good food that approximates the Mexican cuisine served in Texas.

I tried to go last night with a buddy and wasn't surprised to see an hour wait. I'm going to try again tonight.

Have reservations for tonight. Looking forward to it.

Thread Information