Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: General Weather Discussion - May 2018

Default Re: General Weather Discussion - May 2018

Thanks, Anon!

So very glad we avoided the hail yesterday. We're already doing a roofing project, so that wasn't my concern. I was worried about our plants and trees getting hammered. They (finally) look pretty and I didn't want them to be ruined.

Yes the hail threat really came down once the storms began bumping and merging into each other. For big hail you need really tall, discreet cells.

Did the sun not heating up the atmosphere help with there not being a big tornado? I heard it causes more instability? It was cloudy the whole time, and where I live, there was lots of cloud to cloud lightening.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharona21 View Post
    Did the sun not heating up the atmosphere help with there not being a big tornado? I heard it causes more instability? It was cloudy the whole time, and where I live, there was lots of cloud to cloud lightening.
    There was plenty of instability yesterday. The storms yesterday were monsters. The wind profiles just weren't right for numerous tornadoes. The details have to be perfect.

Rode out the storms in north Norman. Circulation spun up directly over our house along that line and dropped a preliminary EF-1 tornado just a couple miles ENE of us (36th and Tecumseh). Damage survey ongoing.

Well it looks like severe weather season is over. I don't see anything in the forecast as to even rain. Glad I don't have to wait to June 1st to breathe a sigh of relief.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Drake View Post
    Well it looks like severe weather season is over. I don't see anything in the forecast as to even rain. Glad I don't have to wait to June 1st to breathe a sigh of relief.
    Are you sure you were looking for Oklahoma?

Are you new to Oklahoma?

Blog Entries

We are just getting started...

What's so special about June 1? I've had to pull my mattress off my bed before and cover myself with it in the hall on a June 15. The dreaded roar of the tornado soon passed over, but wasn't in the direct path of the tornado, so little damage to the house. However, it uprooted a 50 ft. cottonwood tree and spread it across the backyard, fortunately not on the house.

Correct. Nothing has ever happened on may 20 or may 31st and certainly not in the same year

I guess you've only lived here for, what, maybe 20 minutes?

It's not over until high pressure establishes over Oklahoma.

Besides the storms in the forecast for next weekend, there are signs of activity picking up the week of May 15th.

Maybe we should give Ian some data to look at about Oklahoma weather instead of making him feel bad.

https://www.weather.gov/oun/tornadod...-monthlyannual

There. Isn't that better?

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    It's not over until high pressure establishes over Oklahoma.

Besides the storms in the forecast for next weekend, there are signs of activity picking up the week of May 15th.
    I would say it's more along the lines of whenever the jet stream moves north, placing Oklahoma into a NW flow pattern. That typically happens in early June (hence the reason storm season comes to an abrupt halt most years once June arrives) but can happen earlier or later some years.

The second half of May can be brutal. 2013 was a relatively quiet year up until the third week of May. That year shared a lot in common with this year. It was a spring after a La Nina. Drought dominated the western half of the state. Arctic fronts had continued to rush south prolonging winter unusually late in the year, much like this year. I'm hoping this isn't a year like 2013 tornado wise but so far, the pattern this year shares a lot in common with that year.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharona21 View Post
    Maybe we should give Ian some data to look at about Oklahoma weather instead of making him feel bad.

https://www.weather.gov/oun/tornadod...-monthlyannual

There. Isn't that better?
    My intention isn't to make anybody feel bad, I am 100% legit curious where the information came from that led him to conclude there isn't even a sign of so much as rain between now and June 1st. My only possible conclusion is it wasn't an Oklahoma forecast, as pointed out there are multiple opportunities already in just the next two weeks.

If I wanted to make him feel bad I'd ask why he's so happy about no signs of rain when they've only just gotten the fires out in the western half of the state and almost a quarter of the state is in exceptional drought even after the rain. Over half the state is in some level of drought status.

I'm really hoping that we don't have to re-live 2013. It was not a good year for us. Our trees are still compromised from it and still have a pile of limbs and stumps that we weren't able to be rid of shortly after. We worked with a bobcat and dump truck for a few days, cutting and putting at the roadside for city pick-up.
    That May 20th, 2013 tornado tried to come down in our area before it started to mean business here in Newcastle. It dipped down right over us but was not at full strength until about 1/2 mile east of us. We had damage to the SW part of our house, our neighbor's trampoline was tossed into a wooded area about 600 feet west of us, we saw debris in the sky above us and was just plain strange. Even if we didn't get the brunt of the main tornado, it was a strange experience. It also happened so quickly. Will never forget me saying to my son, "What are those birds doing flying so high up in the sky? He answered "Those aren't birds, Mom, that is debris". Closed the cellar door promptly. A big limb from the maple tree close by slammed down onto the cellar door. Seeing the videos from different locations on Youtube have really helped me to understand what happened that day. The weather we have in this state is beyond comprehension. I know we were not involved in a full blown tornado, but it was intense. I feel for people who have experienced the power and intensity of a tornado more than me, and lived through it. I tell you, it would not be pleasant at all.

It's quite incredible how we've went from late February to mid-June within the span of a few weeks.

Let's hope mid-June stays around for the next three or four months.

Quote Originally Posted by stile99 View Post
    Let's hope mid-June stays around for the next three or four months.
    The whole state might be 1 big flame if that happened.

Quote Originally Posted by jonny d View Post
    With all that rain in the forecast shown above?

Quote Originally Posted by jonny d View Post
    I would take mid June temps over late July temps for the next 4 months.

Hopefully we will get a little bit more rain before mid June. Things are greening up so it's not all bad on the fire weather front.

Quote Originally Posted by stile99 View Post
    With all that rain in the forecast shown above?
    When i posted, that picture showed only 3 days of 20% chances. Go figure. Haha

Next solid chances of rain/storms is around mid-week next week. This weekend looks great. Every day will be insanely windy until about Sunday, which will just be regularly windy.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    Next solid chances of rain/storms is around mid-week next week. This weekend looks great. Every day will be insanely windy until about Sunday, which will just be regularly windy.
    Ha, reminds me of when we lived in the Seattle area and they had high wind warnings and all kinds of problems when the wind was gusting to 30 MPH (trees being blown over, etc.), and we just laughed. They were kinda justified, though, in being spooked because it's usually not so windy there and the trees don't have as deep roots as they do here, apparently.

Also laughed when we lived in the Chicago area and people there were completely miserable when it got up to a scorching and intolerable 85 degrees (of course, I was cold as hell in winter when they were walking around without a jacket).

Thread Information