Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: General Weather Discussion - May 2018

Default Re: General Weather Discussion - May 2018

Granite storm I mentioned 45 minutes ago now TOR warned. This will be moving towards Hobart.

The cell north of Elk City got obliterated by the one that moved into it. Look for consolidation more to the north east as it recovers.

I recommend joining into Venture's chat @ http://www.wxstuff.com/index.php?r=c...s%2Fview&id=10

I will be joining there later after 5pm. So there won't be a bunch of small annoying updates in here, only more broad updates.

Main focus shifting toward cells coming up from SW OK as we head toward 5pm hour. Including the area between Altus/Lawton.

Tornado watch in yellow until 10pm:

David Payne has been pretty annoying today. They’ll have their helicopter in position with these beautiful shots and as soon as something starts looking interesting, they switch to their new radar. I would rather see these storms than watch him fumble around with all the radar options he has...

Not liking the looks of this storm so far.

Woof. Putting out tornadoes all around Altus right now and heading towards the OKC metro at full tilt. For my sake I hope it will have lost some steam by the time it reaches Sapulpa. These storms aren't so fun when you live in an old house built over a crawl space and no storm shelter. I often think a big enough wind by itself could blow my house over from the way it shakes. I don't have any chance of surviving a real tornado here.

I think the risk of Tornado for OKC are pretty slim to none at the moment. When I made my previous post the "hook" was starting to develop but I don't see the same pattern at the moment at least. Be safe out there!

Storms coming into OKC are weakening and lining out a bit. The cells fought with each other the whole way here so tornado threat is low.

We could have strong winds as the previously high updrafts begin collapsing.

Flash flooding is likely for the entire OKC metro.

Apendage north of Chickasha, nearly stationary is concerning. Heading toward Amber/Bridgecreek.

Tornado on the ground there with brief spinups.

These little apendages could continue and keep occurring along this line. Small tornadoes you cannot see.

South metro and toward Norman need to stay alert. Basically a supercell is embedded into this line trying to get going. With darkness and precipitation everywhere, it will likely be impossible to see. If you have sirens take precaution.

Sounds like more Tornadoes dropping down west of Norman. Just when you think it won't be too bad... it figures out how to spin something up.

Just the classic messy line with apendages after dark hitting Newcastle/Moore/Norman. It is really astounding how this always happens.

Meanwhile all of the metro will be flooding in the next couple hours. Tons of rain.

Will there be a second round of rain later tonight still?

Yes. A second line of rain and storms could/will move through early morning hours. Models are all over the place with intensity and location. But my guess is mostly a southern OK event.

Not bad for a 24 hour drink.

Some really intense lightning during our morning drive!

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    Just the classic messy line with apendages after dark hitting Newcastle/Moore/Norman. It is really astounding how this always happens.

Meanwhile all of the metro will be flooding in the next couple hours. Tons of rain.
    I guess that's the evening strengthening of the low level jet taking effect.

Yes, the LLJ timing was pretty significant. But I was more referring to how that same corridor seems to always be under the tornado gun. It is one of the oddest details of central OK.

I was switching between 4, 5 and 9 last night. I have come to really appreciate the gray maps 5 and 9 use for their radar displays...very clear images. Channel 4 however is a mess. It looks like a paint factory exploded on their display. Too many colors, too many graphics...too much everything. Not neat and easy to look at.

Do we have anything setting up for this evening?

I am new to the weather discussion thread and will be joining in for the next event. I appreciate everyone's input in all the different locations and Anonymous, do you have a crystal ball or something? Awesome Anonymous. You should rename yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by turnpup View Post
    Do we have anything setting up for this evening?
    Mostly extreme SE OK will have a chance for storms later, wind and rain threat is main concern there.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharona21 View Post
    I am new to the weather discussion thread and will be joining in for the next event. I appreciate everyone's input in all the different locations and Anonymous, do you have a crystal ball or something? Awesome Anonymous. You should rename yourself.
    Welcome! No ball, but I have been a weather nerd my entire life and find it fascinating. So if passing that experience and information on to others is helpful, I am happy to do it!

Some day if my life ever permits I would like to go back to chasing the storms. But today with social media and technology, chasing has become a complete zoo and poses a huge hassle and safety risk to all chasers involved. So for now the comfort behind computer screens will do.

Things will probably be relatively quiet for the next week or two. There are signs the second half of May could be more active.

Thread Information