Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Slapfish

1. Default Slapfish

Slapfish Unveils Expansion Plans for Oklahoma City
    Industry News April 26, 2018

Slapfish, a modern seafood restaurant serving up bold, crave-worthy dishes in a fast casual setting, announced its continued expansion throughout the Southwest. This time, the inventive concept makes its way to Oklahoma City, with plans to open two locations in the state’s capital by the end of the year. The 13-unit, chef-driven restaurant specializes in boat-to-plate dining, making this expansion a milestone for the brand and seafood lovers across the Sooner State.

Slapfish Oklahoma City is owned and operated by U.S. Army Veteran and restaurateur, Mechelle Petty, and her best friend, Natalie Neal. Following her success with two Subway franchises, Petty was exploring lucrative new concepts, and after visiting Slapfish in its native California, she fell in love with the brand and the rest is history. An experienced franchisee and Veteran of Operation Enduring Freedom, Petty has always possessed an entrepreneurial spirit, and knew she had to bring the bib-worthy seafood restaurant to her community. As the foremost female franchise partner and first to expand into Oklahoma, the Tulsa native is determined to open three locations throughout the market by the end of 2019 – with the first slated for the Nichols Hills neighborhood of Oklahoma City this fall.

“Oklahomans love seafood, but there is nothing like Slapfish in the entire state,” says Petty. “The brand’s focus on sustainability and commitment to serving the best ingredients, combined with Chef Gruel’s dedication to our success, promises a strong, expansive future. Oklahoma City is also a booming market with a need for quality fast casual seafood restaurants, and I can’t wait to introduce this incredible concept to my home state.”

Known for unique, over-the-top dishes, Slapfish’s menu features original items like Chowder Fries, Clobster Grilled Cheese and Lobster Grinders, as well as a rotating selection of well-managed seafood incorporated into salads, sandwiches and bowls. Originally founded as a seafood shack-inspired food truck in 2011, CEO and Head Chef Andrew Gruel has quickly expanded the concept on an international scale. With 13 brick-and-mortar locations throughout California, New Mexico and Utah, Slapfish has become a household name from coast to coast, with plans to break ground in many new markets in 2018, including Northern Virginia, Maryland, Washington D.C., Florida, and London. The brand currently has over 150 locations in development, catering to the worldwide demand for high quality seafood in a relaxed setting.

“Oklahoma City makes for the perfect next step in our international expansion strategy. Following our success in Albuquerque and Salt Lake City, we are confident that Oklahomans will welcome Slapfish with open arms and stomachs,” adds Gruel. “The community has never seen a fast casual seafood restaurant, and we are beyond excited to share our vision of responsibly-sourced, chef-driven seafood with a brand new state.”

2. Default Re: Slapfish Unveils Expansion Plans for Oklahoma City

Went to lunch at Slapfish in California in February. I really liked it. This will be a great addition to the market.

Default Re: Slapfish

Coming to Chisholm Creek and next to Hopdoddy in Nichols Hills Plaza:

Razzoo's, Slapfish and more coming to Chisholm Creek

Default Slapfish at Nichols Hills Plaza

Next door to Hopdoddy. Still under construction - does anyone know an opening date?

https://www.slapfishrestaurant.com/

Not yet but they have been working in that space for a while.

Also coming to Chisholm Creek.

They are now open in Nichols Hills Plaza next to Hopdoddy.

In addition to the menu shown below, they have a pretty extensive list of fish specials written on butcher paper near the counter.

It's an order-at-the-counter sort of place and they have that annoying thing where after you present your card the screen prompts you with tip amounts starting at 15%. You can opt out but the server is standing there watching the entire tiime. I really, really hate this practice.

I ordered the Ultimate Fish Taco and it was very good. The whitefish was wonderfully fried as the single large piece (no doubt the same item from their Fish & Chips) was light and moist and just right. The sauce and cabbage and other things were quite good but it was almost impossible to pick up and eat. They have regular fish tacos that might be a better choice, but this item was really quite good. And you can order the fish grilled vs. fried.

In addition to Sriracha, Talipa and several other sauces they also had their own bottles of Slapfish Sriracha and Slapfish Habenero. I tried the later but didn't care for it; completely overpowered by the vinegar.

Even though it was only 70 degrees outside, it was uncomfortably hot inside and there was no outside seating. I suspect they'll get that corrected. BUT. It was stupid loud. I know most places are these day but this was almost intolerable, likely because the space is pretty small and all glass on 2 sides.

The food came fast, was tasty and the service was nice and helpful. I'd like to try some of the other items, particularly their bowls. But for a place that lists substainability twice on their menu, they seemed to only have plastic utensils although food is served on stoneware.

The parking here is going to be a problem. This was 5:00 at night and Hopdoddy was yet to start rolling and yet there weren't even spaces in the lot behind the building, let alone in front.

They will eventually open a location at Chisholm Creek but that hasn't even started construction yet.

It's a good concept and I hope they add some outdoor tables as there is room, ala Hopdoddy. Maybe just haven't gotten to that yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    It's an order-at-the-counter sort of place and they have that annoying thing where after you present your card the screen prompts you with tip amounts starting at 15%. You can opt out but the server is standing there watching the entire time. I really, really hate this practice.
    +1

Nashbird does the same thing. How can I tip if I don't know the level or quality of service that will be provided?

I'm almost to the point that I won't patronize places that do this for order-at-the-counter.

Or to put it another way, unless something is very, very good, I'll take my business elsewhere.

9. Default Re: Slapfish

Pie Junkie did this to me for handing me an already made drunken turtle. I didn't leave a tip. Someone somewhere must have stats where the more you make someone uncomfortable, the more likely they will tip something. This has to explain bathroom attendants at fancy places.

Something that just occurred to me, what's the difference of ordering at the counter with the machine vs filling out the receipt? The person at the counter is going to see what you put in regardless. Unless you guys are against ordering at the counter at all, then I don't get the hate behind the machine.

^

It's the same issue. I don't like it when they put a spot for tip on the receipt, either -- unless it's table service or the bar.

But regarding the POS tip prompt, that usually starts with suggested tip amounts which is even worse.

There appears to be an available retail space between Slapfish & Hopdoddy. If so, and with the parking issues mentioned, that'll be a tough spot to fill.

Blog Entries

There are people out there who struggle with figuring the amount of the tip and to them the suggested tip amount at different rates comes in handy. It tends to speed up some check outs. And everyone is still free to use their own mind.

As far as tipping when ordering, as long as I’m carrying cash, I don’t pay up front.. only at the table afterward. I don’t consider taking the order “service”. If I have to refill my own drink and bus my own table, then there still is no service and no tip. I don’t tip for service I don’t get. I tip well for good service provided.

Absolutely agree! I'm sure this format will become normal for many places but I hate it!

I'm almost to the point that I won't patronize places that do this for order-at-the-counter.

Or to put it another way, unless something is very, very good, I'll take my business elsewhere.

Blog Entries

This is a fickle crowd on here. A few months back I had the same criticism for a new place and was roundly rebuked that this was the new norm. Now, it is important enough to quit doing business at establishments that do this. LOL. Guess Slapfish just isn't "cool" or hipster enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    This is a fickle crowd on here. A few months back I had the same criticism for a new place and was roundly rebuked that this was the new norm. Now, it is important enough to quit doing business at establishments that do this. LOL. Guess Slapfish just isn't "cool" or hipster enough.
    Believe it or not, who reads and reponds to a post varies greatly.

I've made this same point several times in the past.

I too, am not fond of the pre-tip or suggested tip gimmick. I can do Math. I tip for the service I receive, not what I hope to get.

As soon as I saw this Thread Title, my mind went Monty Python. If they could place a small still from that routine amongst the "Wall Bling."

This maybe the only reason I could start carrying cash. Seems like more of a hassle I'm willing to put in though. I wish the 0 amount was in a consistent place from vendor to vendor.

I guess I don’t have a problem with it. I always tip even though I don’t know how the service will be and if it ends up being that bad I’ll just talk with someone higher up. I’ve had to do that maybe once or twice in my life. Most times than not I’ll confront the waiter if service is bad and it almost always ends well. I’m pretty laid back when I go out to eat so not a lot bothers me.

Blog Entries

Went to SF today.....interesting. Seemed to be sorta still trying to figure things out. I got the Power Bowl which was actually pretty good but came with a tiny little dab of dressing. I asked for more and they brought me another tiny dab. I should have asked for several i guess. The staff seemed a little unsure about various things. I'll reserve judgment until they have time to get things smoothed out.

I thought the menu was pretty interesting. The lady near us got some sort of lobster grilled cheese that looked pretty dang amazing.

OH, and happy to report the chip reader was broken so no forced option for the tip.

I attempted to go to Slapfish.. they are closed temporarily. even on Yelp it shows temp closed till possibly April 6th. lots of not so good reviews on yelp so it appears they are doing additional training.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post
    I attempted to go to Slapfish.. they are closed temporarily. even on Yelp it shows temp closed till possibly April 6th. lots of not so good reviews on yelp so it appears they are doing additional training.
    I received my food quickly but Dave Cathey of Oklahoman reported he got up and left after waiting forever for his order.

Had a friend tell me pretty much the same thing.

It's an ambitious menu... Lots of items, most involving fresh fish. That's not easy to execute, especially in a fast-casual setting where people are expecting the food to come out relatively quickly.

I received my food quickly but Dave Cathey of Oklahoman reported he got up and left after waiting forever for his order.

Had a friend tell me pretty much the same thing.

It's an ambitious menu... Lots of items, most involving fresh fish. That's not easy to execute, especially in a fast-casual setting where people are expecting the food to come out relatively quickly.
    they put out on social media that they have a water issue and are closed until it gets repaired

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    they put out on social media that they have a water issue and are closed until it gets repaired
    The sign that was on the door said for additional training.. so who knows.

I went this past weekend, and although it took a while for our food to come out we were able to look over it because it’s a new spot and they were very busy. Also, when we got to the counter there was a piece of paper that said half the items on their menu was unavailable.

I did notice a lot of people getting up and walking out after they ordered which I didn’t understand because you pay at the counter.

The food was ok, they were very apologetic for the wait and even offered a free appetizer. I’ll probably go back after a few weeks once they get their processes down, but to me it’s just a knock off Off The Hook.

Thread Information