Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: General Weather Discussion - April 2018

1. Default Re: General Weather Discussion - April 2018

Yep, downtown is a haze right now, I closed my windows

Default Re: General Weather Discussion - April 2018

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    Crazy amounts of smoke in OKC right now from the fires in Western OK. Enough smoke that I can smell it from inside my apartment.
    I was in Norman tonight for the OU softball game, and it started sunny and windy. The smoke rolled in like a thick, gray, acrid fog as the wind turned from west to northerly, and the odor of burned earth was palpable. I could actually feel it in the back of my throat after about an inning. Field lights cast a dusty haze in all directions. You can smell it on the hoodie I wore down there. Can't recall anything quite like that...

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    I was in Norman tonight for the OU softball game, and it started sunny and windy. The smoke rolled in like a thick, gray, acrid fog as the wind turned from west to northerly, and the odor of burned earth was palpable. I could actually feel it in the back of my throat after about an inning. Field lights cast a dusty haze in all directions. You can smell it on the hoodie I wore down there. Can't recall anything quite like that...

Yup the entire south side of the metro is stinky and hazy right now. Smells like burning blackjack oaks.. terrible.

This has been one of the worst starts to spring that I can remember. It seems very unusual to get such wild swings in temperatures this late in April. The wind has also seemed to be really bad this year too. I know spring in Oklahoma means wind, but this year is particularly bad. This could be a rough summer if spring doesn’t kick off the right way around here soon. I’m afraid it’s too late for a lot of the crops unfortunately, i.e. fruit trees and such.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    Wife and I were also at the softball game. Very bizarre look and feel. Especially as it got dark and the field lights started to take full affect.

Models still showing another system moving in next week April 21-22. Right now it looks like a Classic Spring Storm with snow on the backside in Colorado and severe weather on the plains. Hopefully some of the dry areas in western Oklahoma will get some rain out of this one. Parts of eastern OK received some beneficial rains last week.

Quote Originally Posted by C_M_25 View Post
    This has been one of the worst starts to spring that I can remember. It seems very unusual to get such wild swings in temperatures this late in April. The wind has also seemed to be really bad this year too. I know spring in Oklahoma means wind, but this year is particularly bad. This could be a rough summer if spring doesn’t kick off the right way around here soon. I’m afraid it’s too late for a lot of the crops unfortunately, i.e. fruit trees and such.
    This pattern is more typical of late February/early March. It’s hard to believe we are halfway through April.

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    Models still showing another system moving in next week April 21-22. Right now it looks like a Classic Spring Storm with snow on the backside in Colorado and severe weather on the plains. Hopefully some of the dry areas in western Oklahoma will get some rain out of this one. Parts of eastern OK received some beneficial rains last week.
    Hopefully as the week moves on the severe area will get pushed farther NE into Central Oklahoma. I am ready for some severe weather to finally get here..

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby821 View Post
    Hopefully as the week moves on the severe area will get pushed farther NE into Central Oklahoma. I am ready for some severe weather to finally get here..
    Very possible, there will definitely be severe weather somewhere in the region this weekend. And maybe much needed moisture for the high plains! Hope this holds..

Do you say these type of things just to get a reaction?

11. Default Re: General Weather Discussion - April 2018

I blocked this clown long ago, but I can still see him when someone quotes him. As someone who lost 2 close relatives to "severe weather" I don't know how he is not banned from this site. he is reprehensible. Please get rid of him, Pete.

12. Default Re: General Weather Discussion - April 2018

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    I blocked this clown long ago, but I can still see him when someone quotes him. As someone who lost 2 close relatives to "severe weather" I don't know how he is not banned from this site. he is reprehensible. Please get rid of him, Pete.
    I agree. This kind of thinking is not needed in the discourse on this site. In fact it's not needed anywhere. Very insensitive.

13. Default Re: General Weather Discussion - April 2018

I get it, we need the severe weather as in storms & the rain that comes with it. But in no way do we need the severe aspect, damaging winds, hail & tornados. Like above, it just sounds insensitive when so many here have (or know of) such loss.

I think the big story for the near future is going to be the continued shots of cold air. Good news is it seems like these arctic fronts aren't as conductive to causing severe weather.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    I think the big story for the near future is going to be the continued shots of cold air. Good news is it seems like these arctic fronts aren't as conductive to causing severe weather.
    The arctic fronts themselves have no inherent characteristic that makes them less or more conducive to severe weather. If the warm, moist air were in place ahead of their arrival, pushing up dewpoints and building in the requisite atmospheric energy, the lower, drier temperatures in those arctic airmasses wouldn't have any trouble serving as a catalyst for storms. It's the difference in the airmasses that makes the difference. No warm, most air, no storm fuel.

The size and scope of those airmasses make it harder for the warmth and moisture to return, with that gulf flow muted somewhat....

Hey, a zero-tornado April sounds fine with me.

Such a stark difference between the western and eastern parts of OK right now. I drove across the state just last week and it is very noticeable with OKC right on the divide. This upcoming storm has potential to provide some relief.

This cold is just dreadful and I hate it

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    This cold is just dreadful and I hate it
    Monday morning Oklahoma City tied a record low of 31 set in 1921. No lows to freezing for the rest of the month. The latest into the year freezing low in Oklahoma City was May 3.

Oh, really? Is there a storm cellar or safe room available on the property where you live? If not, I wouldn't be talking. I have a safe room, but would much rather not live with the stress of a tornado warning.

Mesonet's forecast has decent rain chances for the western part of OK this week. We REALLY need a few inches before summer gets here!!

Another horrible wildfire day today. 20-30mph south winds will shift this evening to 20-30mph north winds. Basically exactly what happened last Friday.

Models still holding onto decent chances for rain for Fri/Sat.

Mike Morgan is predicting another freeze Friday morning and has removed precipitation chances for this weekend. However, he has a 70% chance of rain next Tuesday.

Massive grassfires going on right now in Dewey County. 20-30 mph winds blasting out of the SW feeding into them. These winds will shift after dark from the NW.

Water bombers are scooping water out of Canton Lake.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DbAkDd5WkAEtOdV.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	74.5 KB 
ID:	14580

Thread Information