Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Glamour (formerly Banquet Cinema Pub)

Default Re: Banquet Cinema Pub

Just a confusing concept that never found a following.

The Flea directly across the street does okay and Revolucion and Sunnyside are nearby and do well.

2. Default Re: Banquet Cinema Pub

Can't say I agree that the location is the problem is either.... I don't think most people ever really knew what it was and the concept of being a bar/movie theater is just too unique. Especially with an actual bar, that most people know is a bar, despite the non-bar name, across the street wasn't going to help them establish a bar crowd.

Hopefully someone will turn it into an indie theater possibly like what is going in Stockyards and be successful with that and even that may be tough because I just don't know that we have an active enough indie movie scene here.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    Can't say I agree that the location is the problem is either.... I don't think most people ever really knew what it was and the concept of being a bar/movie theater is just too unique. Especially with an actual bar, that most people know is a bar despite the non-bar name, wasn't going to help them establish a bar crowd.

Hopefully someone will turn it into an indie theater possibly like what is going in Stockyards and be successful with that and even that may be tough because I just don't know that we have an active enough indie movie scene here.
    We do, but, like you (not a shot at all, I promise, as you are definitely not alone, and perception is reality), people assume we don't, so no one opens up those types of theaters.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Just a confusing concept that never found a following.

The Flea directly across the street does okay and Revolucion and Sunnyside are nearby and do well.
    We considered it for a date night several weeks ago to watch a movie. The website made it look like it has really small screens and just didn't look nice or comfortable. Ended up going somewhere else even though we couldn't get drinks.

Went with a few friends last weekend and while the bar/lobby area was nice, I wasn't a fan of the actual movie experience itself.

I really saddened by this. I've been here probably 30 times and never even saw a movie. Great place to hit up after hanging at the flea for a late night slice or would just come for dinner and play some shuffle board. Wish it was busier on this side of town so more people would check it out.

Due to the awesome TV's and home theaters in many homes and almost every movie available for immediate streaming, a commercial theater had better be pretty sweet to lure people in. You can't just be a projection screen with some chairs and expensive food and drink.

Way too much tough competition for movie dollars these days.

Due to the awesome TV's and home theaters in many homes and almost every movie available for immediate streaming, a commercial theater had better be pretty sweet to lure people in. You can't just be a projection screen with some chairs and expensive food and drink.

Way too much tough competition for movie dollars these days.
    For me most movies now a days don't make the cut for me to want to go see it in a theater. I have always liked going to the theater, but I want to go and watch something fresh and new, something that is not made just for the sake of money.

Disappointing. I enjoyed going here the few times I went, both to see movies and just to hang out and play shuffleboard. I loved the concept of showing big games on the screens in addition to movies. Too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyShack View Post
    For me most movies now a days don't make the cut for me to want to go see it in a theater. I have always liked going to the theater, but I want to go and watch something fresh and new, something that is not made just for the sake of money.
    It's funny because when VHS first came around everyone predicted the downfall of movie theaters, but that first couple of waves of home vid only helped to increase interest in theatrical releases.

But it seems we've reached a tipping point. I used to go see almost everything in the theater; as of a few years ago I have almost completely stopped going.

Maybe Flix and Alamo Drafthouse will change that.

Wow this is shocking. Honestly I think the location has more to do with it. Yea the Flea does okay, but this place cost way more $ for operations.

Banquet Cenema Pub is NOT closingClick image for larger version. 

Name:	bcp.JPG 
Views:	224 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	15500

Might be changing their concept though.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    Wow this is shocking. Honestly I think the location has more to do with it. Yea the Flea does okay, but this place cost way more $ for operations.
    Tend to agree. The Flea isn't a good comparison (and whether Banquet intended it or not, I definitely got more of a bar vibe than a restaurant vibe from the space so I'm not sure that Sunnyside and Rev are great comparisons either). While Banquet isn't in a horrible location, it's still far enough away from the rest of Midtown/Downtown that it wasn't ever going to get much walk in business or be part of the core Midtown bar scene, especially with the condition of the roads and the sidewalks in the immediate vicinity (walked/Limed from midtown one time and it was a hike/not a comfortable trip - didn't have any desire to do it again, especially in this summer heat).

I really liked the build out of the bar area, but it was huge and obviously was too much for the current patronage. Even when there were a decent number of people in there it could seem almost empty - but on the two times I was there when it was packed (soft open and the Down to Dunk draft party) it was a blast. I was really hoping they would make it to football season as it would have been a great place to watch a game (which could have provided a surge in bar revenue).

The theaters definitely were not Penn Square or the Warren but they weren't nearly as bad as some have made them out to be. Was exactly what I would expect for this type of theater. Saw Once Upon a Time in Hollywood last weekend in a completely sold out theater and it was a great experience. They were working on getting a second projector able to show first-run films so they could have new movies in both theaters - too bad they couldn't make it work. I think this type of concept can be successful with a mix of a better location/smaller bar area/better marketing.

EDIT: Ross posted while I was typing this novel out - glad to see they're not giving up on the concept yet - hopefully they can make something work!

Oklahoman reporting this place is closing.

Barely made it 6 months after substantial investment.
    Fake news from the Oklahoman.

Good thing you give proper credit to your sources Pete! haha

They have way too big an investment just to close down and walk away.

If they were smart, they'll change their name and do everything they can to rebrand.

I really liked this concept, sad to see it go.

I had a friend who went a few times and he basically said they’re not the best at anything.
    -better places to see a movie
    -better places to drink
    -better places to eat
    -better places to watch a game

So it’s kinda hard in this hyper competitive market to be good at 5 things but great at none.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross MacLochness View Post
    Banquet Cenema Pub is NOT closingClick image for larger version. 

Name:	bcp.JPG 
Views:	224 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	15500

Might be changing their concept though.
    well, they are not closing, they just wont be open anymore... It smells the same.

Quote Originally Posted by amocore View Post
    well, they are not closing, they just wont be open anymore... It smells the same.
    I'm not sure what the confusion here is between closing for now and closing forever.

20. Default Re: Banquet Cinema Pub

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkasa View Post
    I'm not sure what the confusion here is between closing for now and closing forever.
    It's a common occurrence in the digital age.

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkasa View Post
    No confusion.
    People say lot of thing and one is "temporary closure to re organize" but in most of the case it never comes back from that.
    I dont wish ill on anybody but historically when a place says that it does not look for their future.
    So saying it does not make it true not, until the fact says so

I agree with some of the other comments here. I went here a couple times and my biggest issue was the atmosphere--or more accurately, the lack of it. There was no real cohesion to the space and it didn't feel like a great place to hang out. I think that's partially due to how big it is, so it almost feel cavernous. I hope they come up with a new concept that works well for the space, because it has a lot of potential and I really like the proprietors' willingness to take risks and be bold.

Quote Originally Posted by king183 View Post
    I agree with some of the other comments here. I went here a couple times and my biggest issue was the atmosphere--or more accurately, the lack of it. There was no real cohesion to the space and it didn't feel like a great place to hang out. I think that's partially due to how big it is, so it almost feel cavernous. I hope they come up with a new concept that works well for the space, because it has a lot of potential and I really like the proprietors' willingness to take risks and be bold.
    They definitely could do a lot more, it almost seemed like that space was an after thought. There were a few shuffle board tables, etc. but other than that it was just an awkward space to hang out unless you were there for a movie.

Blog Entries

I was there tonight and they will be renting it out for private events some.

Lots of thoughts but one in particular. I owned the building and land at Dewey and 4th. A big reason that I ultimately sold all of it is in great part to how desolate 4th Street feels. The entire area feels desolate with little critical mass or cohesion. It will change. A pedestrian oriented streetscape would be a huge help. Go three blocks north and the vibe feels like an actual neighborhood.

Thread Information