Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Habana Inn

1. Default Re: Habana Inn

Quote Originally Posted by d-usa View Post
    That reads to me like you cannot have a rainbow crosswalk. But you can have a rainbow colored aesthetic treatment on the pavement even if it is located between the lines of a crosswalk, as long as it's not a traffic control device.

If we can have giant circles in the middle of each intersection in the Automobile District, then I don't see the problem with a similar color treatment in this district.
    You're correct that there is more latitude in the intersection itself, at least by OKC's interpretation as I understand it. I was responding to Dan's post which specified crosswalks only, a la Castro.

2. Default Re: Habana Inn

By the way, Automobile Alley's intersections - at least as currently configured - would also not be allowed these days, for multiple reasons that I won't get into here.

Default Re: Habana Inn

I just read that the property is in the process of being purchased? Plans to turn the hotel into the Oasis Resort?

Quote Originally Posted by nomadokla View Post
    I just read that the property is in the process of being purchased? Plans to turn the hotel into the Oasis Resort?
    Link?

The May Gayly said at press time that several offers had been made with none accepted by hotel ownership. The real estate agent was quoted as saying, "I think the likelihood is at least 50/50 it will stay like what it is today with new ownership. Most who have looked are looking at keeping lit LGBT+ friendly."

Seems like they're wanting to keep it as the centerpiece of the area.. was it a different article that quoted the 50/50 chance of it changing to something else?

http://www.gayly.com/%E2%80%9Cjoin-p...D-hotel-habana

Looks like it's going to get a renovation but the theme of the hotel will stay the same. Will be interesting to see what is planned.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    http://www.gayly.com/%E2%80%9Cjoin-p...D-hotel-habana

Looks like it's going to get a renovation but the theme of the hotel will stay the same. Will be interesting to see what is planned.
    I'm not sure if it makes much sense to try to remodel a hotel from the 1960s. Probably best to tear it down and start over, especially if the owner has the financing. Make it new, more unique than before, and it would probably attract more people from out of state than now.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    I'm not sure if it makes much sense to try to remodel a hotel from the 1960s. Probably best to tear it down and start over, especially if the owner has the financing. Make it new, more unique than before, and it would probably attract more people from out of state than now.
    I don't know. Being such an old hotel with the history it has gives it a lot of charm.

It looked like fencing was going up around the hotel, and lots of utility personnel (construction workers?) going in and out of the building on Friday.

I'm updating the Google Maps project tracker and I found this info while trying to add stuff to this description:

Latest from the Gayly: https://www.gayly.com/hotel-habana-unveils-new-branding

Hotel website: https://www.hotelhabanaokc.com/grandopening

Exciting Changes are coming to Hotel Habana in 2019-2020.

Experience the upgraded, newly renovated lobby, luxury rooms, events, and swimming pools at our grand re-opening in 2019-2020. View our renderings and stay tuned to RSVP for our grand opening party.

COMING SOON! 2019-2020

Rooms are still available during renovations.
    Found these renderings but they don't reveal too much.

Here is a great article by the Gazette on this project:

https://www.okgazette.com/oklahoma/h...nt?oid=5790371

Unfortunately, I can't see any evidence of progress other than the sale. No permits have been filed which would be the first step before any work would start, although that Gazette article says the plan has always been to wait until this fall.

I just went by there today to check on it and that place is in really sad shape. Hopefully this will get turned around along with the streetscape project. That would be a huge starting point for the district.

A Hotel from the 60's will have Asbestos. Tearing in to that opens a new can of worms.

Blog Entries

Great concept with having a Hotel Habana open for business; not just for a gay community hangout & sleepover.

In planning the renovations, Lagatta said they also wanted to make sure Habana is not just “a party hotel.”

“We want to accommodate business people that are passing through that need a place to work,” he said. “We’re putting in fiber optic Wi-Fi, so everybody will have free fiber optic Wi-Fi. … We’re fixing up some rooms in the quieter areas away from the clubs, so it’s like any given night it’s a good place to stay.”
    Alternative Resorts is looking at this hotel from a long-term investment strategy:

Does anyone know if Alternative Resorts would qualify for some TIF funds; this would be a good investment for Oklahoma City.

The largest gay resort has Palm Springs to compete with. I’d be shocked but pleased to know a resort with that title resides in OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    The largest gay resort has Palm Springs to compete with. I’d be shocked but pleased to know a resort with that title resides in OKC.
    Habana is surely the nation's largest gay hotel.

At least one of the pools should be enclosed for year round use.

Pete, do you know what has been going on here the last few weeks? It almost looks like they are filming something, there are trailers in the parking lot, and TONS of cars and activity in the morning when i pass by on my way to work.

They are filming a movie. don't know much more than that but that has been the activity.

Club changes
    Two clubs in Oklahoma City’s gayborhood have closed and will be replaced, while a formerly shuttered club reopens its doors.
    BY MIGUEL RIOS

Copa and Finish Line, the two clubs in Hotel Habana, closed recently after decades of service. Tom Lagatta, Hotel Habana managing partner, said they did not renew the club’s leases because they needed the revenue, so they plan to open new clubs in the spaces.

Club changes
    Two clubs in Oklahoma City’s gayborhood have closed and will be replaced, while a formerly shuttered club reopens its doors.
    BY MIGUEL RIOS

Copa and Finish Line, the two clubs in Hotel Habana, closed recently after decades of service. Tom Lagatta, Hotel Habana managing partner, said they did not renew the club’s leases because they needed the revenue, so they plan to open new clubs in the spaces.

Stay tuned on all that. I will be surprised if they make it 6 months without the rent from copa and finishline , Tops they make it a year. I hope they can succeed but i just don't see it.

Thread Information