Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Landthieves.com coming to an end?

Default Landthieves.com coming to an end?

Supposedly the servers are being shut down ordered by court.

Pete, start an OU sports forum?

Some of the posters there have suggested moving here?
    I’m not sure some of those characters would mesh well on this site.

Default Re: Landthieves.com coming to an end?

I started reading there about a month ago and totally agree with you. There are a lot of posters there who apparently have little in their lives but sports.

What court? What order? Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    I started reading there about a month ago and totally agree with you. There are a lot of posters there who apparently have little in their lives but sports.
    Hahaha, to be fair this is a board whose main forum is devoted to real estate development

What about cursing?

Can we curse here?

Wow, just getting up to speed on all this. Really is true. LT was hosted on servers owned by a group that ran a rival board for Texas fans, and it turns out there are allegations that someone with that group siphoned off money from other partners. The servers are among some disputed assets that are going to be "moved," but presumably permanently mothballed. LT goes down with it.

Lots of scrambling to see where everyone ends up. I was not as active there as many regulars because of their... more caustic format... We'll see how out It goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Northwestsider View Post
    What about cursing?

Can we curse here?
    Not really.

While I wouldn't call this a *serious* board, it's one of the highest quality bulletin boards on the internet. Tons of insight and lots of good discussion...the vulgarity of LT definitely wouldn't contribute to the atmosphere that's been built.

I like both sites, but I spend more time here than I do @ LT anymore because that's more of a pure entertainment thing and here there's actual information that impacts important decisions we make in this community.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Know how I know you don't read over there?

If you think sports is all we post about over there, then you're sorely mistaken.

I actually thought about trying to start a message board for a "less caustic" OU football/ sports site, but I'm not sure at this point if fan message boards like that are still truly that popular. A lot of old OU fan boards are either gone or barely active these days. A good fan message board can be a lot of fun, but I'd have been on the side of keeping in the varying opinions, but kicking out the vulgarity and such, so who knows.

The prior big OU message board, OUInsider, inexplicably alienated about half it's members years ago with some disparaging comments aimed at folks who weren't joining their new pay site....

This place isn't on Tapa?

That site is hugely popular.

I need to understand what is happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

The guy who set up the ShaggyBevo, now ShaggyTexas, message board was sued by some investors and he lost. He has turn over his servers to the people who sued him. The ShaggyTexas servers also host the LandThieves message board. So it sounds like LandThieves will go off line for at least as long as it takes for the new owners of the servers to get them back up and running.

A bunch of posters from LandThieves are looking for a new home. Your site came highly recommended. Two posters there (SoCaliSooner and MikeLucky) say they know you.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

Pete, I think you are sitting on an absolute goldmine of an opportunity. I'd recommend you get in contact with any of the moderator's from Landthieves to come up with a solution.

I also want to clarify a few things.

I have absolutely no issues with Landthieves & their community. I visit that site nearly everyday & contribute occasionally. I think they've built a great balance between allowing their members to have fun & self expression but also keeping everything on topic & organized. Its a really well ran discussion forum.

I do think OKCtalk & Landthieves are on far ends of the spectrum when it comes to community content though. OKCtalk offers in depth quality discussion & Landthieves is just fun & easy going.

Maybe there is a good way to keep things segregated & still benefit from the added membership on OKCtalk, but I think the best way would be to create an entirely new website & profit off of that. I'd really hate to lose the Landthieves community & the entertainment it provides.

I was one of the administrators on their LandThieves predecessor, OU Insider. It was equally active with thousands of users.

I like LT but cannot stand the way people talk to each other there and all the profanity. If I was to try and integrate a stand-alone forum for OU (and maybe another for OSU) I would have to reel that in because it would bleed over into the other forums and it is just not acceptable to me. I realize some might not like that but once you let the profanity and personal attacks genie out of the bottle, all hell breaks loose and that's not the type of site I want to be a part of.

Fair point...

I think the influx is only gonna be temporary, Pete. Everybody's been talking about here and reddit as a holding place until they can get something new up and running on servers that aren't dependent upon the horns.

Why don't they just use Reddit forever? Hell, there is a sub for almost every topic one could dare to imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    I think the influx is only gonna be temporary, Pete. Everybody's been talking about here and reddit as a holding place until they can get something new up and running on servers that aren't dependent upon the horns.
    Yeah, that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by pw405 View Post
    Why don't they just use Reddit forever? Hell, there is a sub for almost every topic one could dare to imagine.
    Same reason you couldn’t just move this board to reddit. The format of reddit just isn’t suited to this style of message board.

20. Default Re: Landthieves.com coming to an end?

I’m all for Pete taking a look at a different board for that but I’d hate to see THIS BOARD just become a hangout for refugees of an entirely different ecosystem. I spent a lot of years on OU related boards and the common thread is sports boards usually turn into a free-for-all once you talk about topics not involving sports (which is most of OKCTalk’s purpose). Lots of Lord of the Flies crap. Disrespecting of people’s opinions, tying every comment to polarized political views, chasing each other around, bullying, hiding behind screen names.

This board does an excellent job of self-policing and of having a lot of rational and respectful discourse, even on topics where people clearly disagree and are even impassioned. I’d hate to lose that balance by inviting in a bunch of people who aren’t familiar with the way we do things here, all at the same time. Seems like a recipe for disaster. My two cents.

The best thing about LandThieves apart from the OU information and discussion (which usually still devolves into sophomoric name-calling and a lot of negativity) is their O'Connell's forum where people just hang out on-line and there are open topics.

Not for everyone but it is a strong on-line community and back when it was OU Insider, I helped organize some real life get togethers and even though it was a wide variety of people, I really enjoyed meeting the people and am still friends with a number of them.

22. Default Re: Landthieves.com coming to an end?

Yeah, Soonerfans had a version of that called The South Oval. It was really great. Until it wasn’t.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Yeah, Soonerfans had a version of that called The South Oval. It was really great. Until it wasn’t.
    There just has to be some limits and rules otherwise human nature in the on-line world means way too much negativity and conflict.

I'm really proud of the discourse here, despite the occasional gripes about 'negativity'. To those people, I always want to ask: "Have you ever BEEN on the Internet before??"

Just take a look at the comment sections of even the local news outlets and you'll see what I mean. Or even the crazy crappy that gets posted when I share an OKCTalk on Facebook.

24. Default Re: Landthieves.com coming to an end?

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    Know how I know you don't read over there?

If you think sports is all we post about over there, then you're sorely mistaken.
    Someone told me about it as a good source of info about OU Spring practice so I Googled it. The source address came up and I saved the shortcut icon which clearly shows LT FOOTBALL on it. I've only been there a few times so if there's more to it than football, I hadn't seen it yet. Sorry to get your undies in a wad.

25. Default Re: Landthieves.com coming to an end?

Well, its a big LT and takes you to a board thats strictly football.

Thread Information