Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Landthieves.com coming to an end?

Default Re: Landthieves.com coming to an end?

For precisely the opposite reason that I love this forum, I loved Landthieves (albeit more when it first started - aka when I was younger).

What makes OKCTalk great is 1. A real focus on something that has real impact on our daily lives and 2. A real sense of being in the same room with someone. OKCTalk is "The internet as an extension of the community".

What makes Landthieves great is it doesn't tip-toe around the reality of the internet. It's unabashed and allows people to "be themselves" and/or be what they what to be on the internet. I think what comes out on the internet is often a truer version of ourselves than we'd like to admit, even if it's not our best selves. At the very least it can be intensely cathartic. I like that Landthieves does not require that facade.

I will actually really miss shaggybevo's politics board because the beauty of any internet forum, this one included, is that you can quickly find the voices worth listening to, and who creates the best dialogue between disparate perspectives. Landthieves had a few good ones, but not as many. Both were definitely the place I went in political season to get some good information and feel out the political climate as well as refine some of my own thoughts.

Landthieves also has the best Thunder discussion on the internet owing to about a dozen high quality posters.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Someone told me about it as a good source of info about OU Spring practice so I Googled it. The source address came up and I saved the shortcut icon which clearly shows LT FOOTBALL on it. I've only been there a few times so if there's more to it than football, I hadn't seen it yet. Sorry to get your undies in a wad.
    Who said my panties were in a wad? And wouldn't you just love it if they were.

3. Default Re: Landthieves.com coming to an end?

Someone has a thread on landthieves asking for help moving the threads to www.reddit.com/r/landthieves

hopefully i took that down correctly

4. Default Re: Landthieves.com coming to an end?

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    Who said my panties were in a wad? And wouldn't you just love it if they were.
    LOL. ....... he says, proving my point.

Man, am I glad I remembered my login here last week

Maybe developing a new site with the same format? OUTalk or somthing?

My name is Brandon Drumm. I am one of the main contributors and lead analysts fro the thefootballbrainiacs.com. Would love to have you all join us there. We already get 20k visitors a day. Have a very large unique visitor number, as well.

We provide a TON of free info on our site and our Donor/Member side gets even more. Hope to see you all there!

The successor, if you will, to LandThieves is DirtBurglars.com. The site is visually still very much a work in progress, but there are 600+ members and it's very much rolling. I think the guys running things are hoping to have a more flushed out "version 1" with more of the visual changes up in a week or two as I understand it.

As far as the name change, the new owners of the servers that hosted the old site also own the domain name and could not be persuaded to transfer/sell it to the guys running the new site. Lots of legal/business minutiae involved in all of it.

One good thing/change: For now, no dedicated politics forum. They acknowledge there are lots of places for that kind of discussion and it takes too much moderation effort/time.

Again, DB is like LT with pretty liberal rules on content, particularly profanity, so go in with your eyes open. I personally don't like that aspect of it, either, but its not my site. I just don't chime in with it or post as much as I might otherwise....

^

We have a Politics only forum with very little need to moderate.

Just goes to show when you allow completely free-wheeling stuff elsewhere, it's going to really manifest in a negative way when you get into something as controversial as most politics.

I liked LT but didn't post there much because I hated about 97% of the interaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

We have a Politics only forum with very little need to moderate.

Just goes to show when you allow completely free-wheeling stuff elsewhere, it's going to really manifest in a negative way when you get into something as controversial as most politics.

I liked LT but didn't post there much because I hated about 97% of the interaction.
    I was a grizzled vet of OUI and I guess was one of the "garbage posters" lol. OUI was great in its heyday. There were several OU boards back then, but none really seemed to capture the imagination. I had avoided LT for the content, but eventually it became the only board with any activity. I toyed with the idea of starting a more "family friendly" OU board but suspected it would be expensive and tune consuming... not sure if there is enough interest these days. Dunno.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    I was a grizzled vet of OUI and I guess was one of the "garbage posters" lol. OUI was great in its heyday. There were several OU boards back then, but none really seemed to capture the imagination. I had avoided LT for the content, but eventually it became the only board with any activity. I toyed with the idea of starting a more "family friendly" OU board but suspected it would be expensive and tune consuming... not sure if there is enough interest these days. Dunno.
    Our site is family friendly. We don't allow a lot of language or offensive oics/vids/GIFS. Out free side if thefootballbrainiacs.com has between 12-20k visitors a day. Depending on the news. The donor side is around 1700 members after only 7 months since it was released. Our sites are very family friendly.

The donor/member side is very interactive with mods/writers. Very much like Pete (who I try and emmulate a bit).

Pete is very open to questioning and answers when he can. Why I love this site. How I try and be on our members side (one of the perks of our members side).

We break a ton of stories before the news and other sites, but since we are the black sheep they will never credit us, much like this site doesn't get credited.

I love this site because it still uses the old u said rules of journalistic integrity. Something we work hard to do. You credit those that are first. If you're first, you should be credited. In today's world that isn't done like it should be.

Thread Information