Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Armory

Default Re: Armory

I updated the images with hi-res versions here:

http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.ph...08#post1040508

HangryHippo Guest

This project is going to kick so much ass.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    This project is going to kick so much ass.
    It's got a lot of ass to kick . . . Super awesome to turn the Armory into a productive venue. Recall the last time we were there; my mother was awarded my brother's purple heart for his service in Vietnam. He stepped on a booby trap on May 17, 1970 while carrying the radio communication equipment; the news brought devastation to our family and many friends. He gave his life for our country.

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    It's got a lot of ass to kick . . . Super awesome to turn the Armory into a productive venue. Recall the last time we were there; my mother was awarded my brother's purple heart for his service in Vietnam. He stepped on a booby trap on May 17, 1970 while carrying the radio communication equipment; the news brought devastation to our family and many friends. He gave his life for our country.
    Wow. Thanks for sharing and, even after all these years, thoughts to your brother and your family.

Every time I drive by the Armory I get excited for Coop to move in. Does anyone have insight or a timeline we should expect?

I was told this would be a very slow-moving project.

I wouldn't expect to see much or any movement in 2019.

Blog Entries

Also some design elements have changed, though I don't have details on that. I went to the Drinks X Design event held by the architecture foundation and one of the stops was at the new location of Spur Design (moved from 10th/Hudson [new Ludivine] to Capitol Hill) and Coop was there talking about those changes.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    Also some design elements have changed, though I don't have details on that. I went to the Drinks X Design event held by the architecture foundation and one of the stops was at the new location of Spur Design (moved from 10th/Hudson [new Ludivine] to Capitol Hill) and Coop was there talking about those changes.
    Is Spur Design going to be handling the renovations and additions? I hope the changes are a major deviation from what was bid.

Blog Entries

Certainly seemed that way, but I'm in no way an authority on that. Some, but not all, of the changes seemed pretty major.

Just spoke with Coop and they hope to close on the purchase in 30 to 60 days.

If all goes well there would be a groundbreaking early this summer and they would need about 1.5 years to complete.

Scope has changed slightly; will now be adding 12 villa-style hotel rooms to the former Dept. of Veterans Affairs building to the east, along with a pool and some private event space in that same building.

If anything, the plans have expanded and they will be releasing the final design in conjunction with the groundbreaking.

I left son number one there when he enlisted in the Guard in 2007. Twelve years and he is still in. This is a deceptively important property in Oklahoma. As there are so many parents who feared when they left their child there at the beginning of their service they would ultimately wind up as Laramie told in Post #54 above.

COOP Aleworks submits plans for Armory conversion

After being selected by the State to redevelop the historic Armory building last summer, COOP Aleworks is moving forward with its plan for a massive renovation into a brewery, taproom, restaurant, event space and hotel rooms.

Building permit applications have been filed that reveal new details, including converting the neighboring Oklahoma Veterans Memorial Building into hotel villas.

Sean Mossman, Director of Sales and Marketing for COOP, told OKCTalk that the building had been originally planned as living units but upon consultation with the Convention and Visitors Bureau, it was recommended they add more hotel rooms to better attract visiting groups.

Mossman said COOP also saw the opportunity to tie together the two buildings with a large pool and outdoor event area that would be for the use of hotel guests. Cabana rental will also be available to the general public.

The 12 villas would supplement the rooms in the armory itself and bring the total room count to 28.

Otherwise, there have only been minor changes to the original plans unveiled in July of 2018, showing the bottom floor of the Armory to be used as a large, open brewery and the second and third levels dedicated to hotel rooms, with a large restaurant, taproom and outdoor deck on the east side of the second floor.

In addition to cabanas, the pool will feature a large outdoor bar and full food service.

Mossman said the purchase from the state is not quite complete but should happen soon.

Once work starts, construction is anticipated to span 16 to 18 months, with a targeted opening of spring 2021.

The t-shaped Veterans Memorial Building was recently vacated by the Department of Veteran Affairs which moved to a new complex. The Armory has been vacant for some time.

COOP's current brewery and taproom is located at 4745 Council Heights, west of Will Rogers Airport. They currently offer 19 rotating beers on tap.

Design of the new project is by Spur Design and general contractor will be Smith & Pickel.

Sick project, can't wait! But.... I thought they were going to open up walnut? Not happening anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by Ross MacLochness View Post
    Sick project, can't wait! But.... I thought they were going to open up walnut? Not happening anymore?
    Nope.

That site plan is the current one.

There have been lots of issues with easements and general state bureaucracy, which is why they still haven't closed on the purchase. But hopefully soon.

Man that's a bummer. I used to live on Walnut just to the south of this building and through access on walnut would be a huge benefit.

Wow. Looks awesome. Glad they’re taking their time to get it right.

Huge bummer about Walnut.

This building was added to the National Register of Historic Places. Pete, does that signal this project is moving forward?

https://journalrecord.com/2020/01/07...V0H4TIaci-GF6U

Blog Entries

They've been working non-stop on this all along. Just hard to see the progress just yet. Got to talk to one of the partners pretty extensively at an NYE party and it's going to be so very exciting.

^^^ glad to see that! This project is just as big as first national, IMO.

My top favorite projects right now are this, Oak, Rother Shrine Church, Lincoln Plaza, and First National.

I posted in August (see above) that they had submitted their building permit applications.

On a project of this scale, it takes months before the permits are issued. I've been checking on the status and they are still working through the process; there is a lot of back-and-forth.

^^^ okay. Thank you for the update!

Building permits haven't been issued yet but you can see they are gearing up to start construction.

Any updates on this Pete?

Thread Information