Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bill to increase speed limit on some Oklahoma turnpikes passes Senate

Default Re: Bill to increase speed limit on some Oklahoma turnpikes passes Senate

Quote Originally Posted by Sharona21 View Post
    You idiots going so much over the speed limit are accidents waiting to happen. And usually you bring someone else down with you. Go ahead and pay for your speeding tickets, deductibles, higher insurance rates, attorney's fees when you cause injury, etc. How dumb can you be? Stay within the speed limit and stop causing tempers to flare and so much more. DON'T IGNORE THE LAW.
    Here’s a suggestion then, stay in the right lane and don’t worry about what’s going on in the left lane.

Default Re: Bill to increase speed limit on some Oklahoma turnpikes passes Senate

Quote Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
    That's the idea behind the 85th percentile rule. People will naturally drive the speed they feel comfortable with. In general on highways, I think it probably does a pretty good job of setting speed limits. Although, I will say driving 80 on a 2-lane, non-divided highway in western Texas kind of scares me. You hit someone going the other way, you are dead.
    I was driving in the panhandle a year or two ago and it was literally about 20 minutes since I saw the last vehicle, so my speed crept up to about 90 in a 60 mpg road. Flat as a pancake. OHP pulled me over, told me he knows the road is flat but just to ease back a little bit and be careful. Think he just gave me a verbal warning. It’s no-man’s land.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    I was driving in the panhandle a year or two ago and it was literally about 20 minutes since I saw the last vehicle, so my speed crept up to about 90 in a 60 mpg road. Flat as a pancake. OHP pulled me over, told me he knows the road is flat but just to ease back a little bit and be careful. Think he just gave me a verbal warning. It’s no-man’s land.
    yep... grew up in this area... only time OHP ever wrote a ticket is if you were crossing lanes, weather was bad, or there happened to be a bit of traffic and you were being dumb..

Here’s a suggestion then, stay in the right lane and don’t worry about what’s going on in the left lane.
    Uh, someone's already said that.
    I'll stay in the right lane if you'll stay off my rear end in either lane, when I am going the SPEED LIMIT, not SLOWER. Some day your speeding
    bullet's going to hit someone that stops suddenly. DUH.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharona21 View Post
    Uh, someone's already said that.
    I'll stay in the right lane if you'll stay off my rear end in either lane, when I am going the SPEED LIMIT, not SLOWER. Some day your speeding
    bullet's going to hit someone that stops suddenly. DUH.
    My reading of this is you have road rage. Basically you are saying everyone must do what you say. Other than rush hour the left lane is for passing. If you can’t pass in a reasonable time then stay in right lane. The law was passed strictly for left lane huggers who actually make traffic more dangerous by going only speed limit and stacking up traffic. Let the cops worry about speeders its not the publics job to police. Some drivers look for confrontation by intentionally plugging up left lane to slow drivers down. Its a simple law, stay in right lane other than passing. Passing means you have to go faster than the car you are trying to get by.

What I find more common is cars who speed up by as mich as 10mph as you try to pass them.

In the 1980s a powerful legislator from southern Oklahoma refused to authorize any turnpike expansion unless one was built through his district. Behold the 13 mile, two lane Chickasaw Turnpike which the OTA never wanted, but had to build. With a 70 mph speed limit but no center barrier or cable system, it was initially nicknamed the "Oklahoma Supercollider."

Quote Originally Posted by CloudDeckMedia View Post
    In the 1980s a powerful legislator from southern Oklahoma refused to authorize any turnpike expansion unless one was built through his district. Behold the 13 mile, two lane Chickasaw Turnpike which the OTA never wanted, but had to build. With a 70 mph speed limit but no center barrier or cable system, it was initially nicknamed the "Oklahoma Supercollider."
    Had no idea that existed.

Had no idea that existed.
    It is such a white elephant that the OTA tried to give it to ODOT, plus a $14 million cash inducement. The legislature turned it down.

Sure wish I could remember the name of that legislator who demanded that it be built through his district. I'm sure the Chickasaw Nation would prefer that it bear his name instead of theirs.

^^ IIRC wasn't it a group of rural legislatures, who demanded it be part of the package with 3 other turnpikes (which included the Kirkpatrick?)

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    ^^ IIRC wasn't it a group of rural legislatures, who demanded it be part of the package with 3 other turnpikes (which included the Kirkpatrick?)
    That's correct. The package included the Kilpatrick, Creek, and Cherokee turnpikes. And a small portion of it was transferred to ODOT and became SH-7 Spur.

There is a fairly busy 2-lane highway in the Texas Panhandle I've done a few times that is posted at 75 mph. If it was dead I'd probably be doing 85, but with a decent about of on coming traffic 75 bothers me a bit. Although it is straight and flat, I'm just get worried about someone texting.

Quote Originally Posted by CloudDeckMedia View Post
    Lonnie Abbott (D-Ada)

Quote Originally Posted by rte66man View Post
    Lonnie Abbott (D-Ada)
    Thank you for recalling his name. And as you’d expect, there is a Lonnie Abbott Boulevard in Ada. Thank heavens for term limits!

Speed limits will be going up over the next several months on multiple interstates and turnpikes:

https://www.ok.gov/triton/modules/ne...ticle_id=60961

https://www.ok.gov/triton/modules/ne...ticle_id=60721

Various turnpikes will see an increase to 80 MPH and the OTA hinted at even more speed limit increases in the future.

15. Default Re: Bill to increase speed limit on some Oklahoma turnpikes passes Senate

Quote Originally Posted by OKC Guy View Post
    My reading of this is you have road rage. Basically you are saying everyone must do what you say. Other than rush hour the left lane is for passing. If you can’t pass in a reasonable time then stay in right lane. The law was passed strictly for left lane huggers who actually make traffic more dangerous by going only speed limit and stacking up traffic. Let the cops worry about speeders its not the publics job to police. Some drivers look for confrontation by intentionally plugging up left lane to slow drivers down. Its a simple law, stay in right lane other than passing. Passing means you have to go faster than the car you are trying to get by.

What I find more common is cars who speed up by as mich as 10mph as you try to pass them.
    I have observed that on rural 4 lane hiways like l35 to Dallas, where traffic can be heavy, the right lane only except to pass almost works backwards to it's intent. Driver's just camp out in the left because they are passing other cars occasionally but think they'll get caught in the right lane when they do move over.

16. Default Re: Bill to increase speed limit on some Oklahoma turnpikes passes Senate

The H.E. Bailey Turnpike Spur (Bridge Creek to Blanchard and Newcastle) is now posted at 80.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott5114 View Post
    The H.E. Bailey Turnpike Spur (Bridge Creek to Blanchard and Newcastle) is now posted at 80.
    Guess this also bumped the minimum to 60 up from 55. I didn’t think about that changing as well

I-40 west of the metro was posted at 75 yesterday.

19. Default Re: Bill to increase speed limit on some Oklahoma turnpikes passes Senate

I wish the HE Bailey was 80 and not just the Spur. But most of it to Chickasha is under construction right now, so I doubt they'd do that. But they could still do Chickasha to Lawton. Lawton to the Texas line is in horrible shape, IIRC.

the finished widened section of the turner is now posted at 80 as well

21. Default Re: Bill to increase speed limit on some Oklahoma turnpikes passes Senate

Quote Originally Posted by brianinok View Post
    I wish the HE Bailey was 80 and not just the Spur. But most of it to Chickasha is under construction right now, so I doubt they'd do that. But they could still do Chickasha to Lawton. Lawton to the Texas line is in horrible shape, IIRC.
    Over on AARoads we've been discussing which sections of turnpike got moved up to 80 and why, and we can't make heads or tails of it. It's not roadway design (or the Indian Nation wouldn't qualify), it's not traffic volume (or the Turner wouldn't qualify), and it's not recent reconstruction (or otherwise the H.E. Bailey between the spur and the Newcastle would be 80).

My only guess is they are going off of a speed study, and only upping the limit when 85% of the traffic is already going 80. (This "85th percentile speed" factors into a lot of speed limit calculations when there are not other considerations that take precedence.)

Over on AARoads we've been discussing which sections of turnpike got moved up to 80 and why, and we can't make heads or tails of it. It's not roadway design (or the Indian Nation wouldn't qualify), it's not traffic volume (or the Turner wouldn't qualify), and it's not recent reconstruction (or otherwise the H.E. Bailey between the spur and the Newcastle would be 80).

My only guess is they are going off of a speed study, and only upping the limit when 85% of the traffic is already going 80. (This "85th percentile speed" factors into a lot of speed limit calculations when there are not other considerations that take precedence.)
    i was told the turner (new section only) is because the other sections are going to be under construction a bunch in the next 15 years (and have massive traffic count)

and as the other parts get upgraded the speed limit will change ..

Thread Information