Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bill to increase speed limit on some Oklahoma turnpikes passes Senate

Default Re: Bill to increase speed limit on some Oklahoma turnpikes passes Senate

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Love this one. It should be true on any of the interstates outside city limits, too.
    Agree.

And I still have no idea who sets speed limits on our roads. It seems to be set based on how much money can be made on tickets. Two of many examples:

1. 235 between 44 and TP is 60. Hefner parkway between TP and 36th is 65. One is curvy and one is straight. One has concrete medians and one has fencing.

2. Hefner road around Lake Hefner all the way to HP is 40. Nothing at all (except Meridian light) until you get to just west of Lake. Rockwell fron TP and south is 45 all kinds of businesses, schools, housing and other.

Some agency has no common sense or do this on purpose to create revenue ln tickets. On some sections of Hefner around lake you have to actually use brakes to not speed due to slight downhill sections. Its stupid.

On 235 they use motor bikes with spy bonoculars and built in speed camera to take pics of speed way before drivers can see them.

Its all a money driven ponzi scheme to pad city coffers.

Default Re: Bill to increase speed limit on some Oklahoma turnpikes passes Senate

I just got off the Kilpatrick southbound, coming home to Mustang from Memorial. I staid in the right lane at 80 mph and cars are zipping by me on the left. Might as well make it legal.

I don't care if they change it to 80, I'm still not slowing down.

Quote Originally Posted by hoya View Post
    Why not? It's too scary to go the current speed limit even in light traffic?

Quote Originally Posted by brianinok View Post
    This happened to me yesterday. All the way from the Newcastle tollbooth to the Chickasha McDonald's at 60-65 MPH. After about 3 miles I decided to just go with it and accept I was going to be a little late. But it was still incredibly irritating. When I did pass them I saw both trucks/trailers were from the same company.
    You should have laid on the horn til the one in the fast lane moved. It's a law now. Just lay on it and don't let off til they move. If they flip you off just laugh at them.

6. Default Re: Bill to increase speed limit on some Oklahoma turnpikes passes Senate

ld consider calling their employer since they were doing it intentionally.

I would like to see the day time speeds on the lightly traveled interstates going to 85 if local road conditions allow.
    A speed limit system like Texas has on it's other highways would be nice.
    As conditions change there needs to be a certain amount of built in flexibility.

That should be stayed, not staid. Minor Brain Lock.

Is this new?

Bill to up speed limits on turnpikes, rural highways clears Senate committee

By Barbara Hoberock Tulsa World
    4 hrs ago

OKLAHOMA CITY — A legislative panel on Tuesday passed a bill that could result in increased speed limits on turnpikes and highways in rural areas.

The Senate Transportation Committee passed Senate Bill 648 by Sen. Joseph Silk, R-Broken Bow.

The measure would increase the maximum speed to 80 mph on turnpikes. Some turnpikes have a 75 mph maximum speed. The state’s two urban turnpikes, the Creek and Kilpatrick, have a maximum speed of 70 mph.

The measure would also increase the maximum speed to 75 mph on rural sections of the interstate highway system.

It allows the Transportation Commission to make such designations.

https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/bill...a073384e8.html

I really hope it happens!

Meanwhile here in California https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.aut...ted-lanes/amp/

I hope this happens even more! I already go as fast as my car can on I-5 when going to San Fran, would be nice if it were legal!

I'm all for this. They need to raise the inner city speed limits too. 60 on I-35 North of 40 is completely unnecessary. 65 on 240 east of 35 is just ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by hoya View Post
    This will give me a good excuse to go 90. I already drive about 10 over anyway (and so does everyone else).

^^^ studies show this isn’t necessarily the case that people will always go 10 over.

Y'all want to talk about annoying speed limits? I just returned from a trip to PA which we flew in and out from BWI. I-695, which for the most part is 8 lanes and the speed limit is usually 55 mph, and they love there speed cameras!!

You idiots going so much over the speed limit are accidents waiting to happen. And usually you bring someone else down with you. Go ahead and pay for your speeding tickets, deductibles, higher insurance rates, attorney's fees when you cause injury, etc. How dumb can you be? Stay within the speed limit and stop causing tempers to flare and so much more. DON'T IGNORE THE LAW.

Instead of resorting to ad hominem how about educating yourself:

http://www.sehinc.com/news/truth-abo...ained-engineer

Think speeders cause tempers to flare? Think again: https://www.wagnerreese.com/blog/201...-aggresive-dr/

How about you calm down and stay the hell out of the left lane and let us “big bad speeders pass” and if we get pulled over you continue driving and have your chuckle.

https://www.esurance.com/info/car/th...ing-too-slowly

Slow and fast drivers alike are guilty of causing aggression. Check your tempers at the curb before you get behind the wheel.

^^^ careful now, you’re starting to make sense. That won’t work for many who love knee jerk reactions.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    ^^^ studies show this isn’t necessarily the case that people will always go 10 over.
    That's the idea behind the 85th percentile rule. People will naturally drive the speed they feel comfortable with. In general on highways, I think it probably does a pretty good job of setting speed limits. Although, I will say driving 80 on a 2-lane, non-divided highway in western Texas kind of scares me. You hit someone going the other way, you are dead.

There is rural vs urban argument... but there is also a rural vs extremely rural such as in far western Oklahoma and in the panhandle where if the highway is in good condition a day time 90 MPH + speed limit would be completely appropriate due to extremely light traffic.

I do believe due to the many night time critters that love to find rural roads at night that and with shorter visibilities that a slower night time speed is very appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
    That's the idea behind the 85th percentile rule. People will naturally drive the speed they feel comfortable with. In general on highways, I think it probably does a pretty good job of setting speed limits. Although, I will say driving 80 on a 2-lane, non-divided highway in western Texas kind of scares me. You hit someone going the other way, you are dead.
    In many areas of west Texas if you’re only driving 80 MHP on a 2 lane road you are a hazard, even back in the 55 mph days.

I have set my cruise control as high as 105 MPH.... Where its 30 to 50 miles between small towns, on 2 lane roads that are in mint condition, where the ground is flat and many times not seen but one or 2 other vehicles and one of those might be passing you...

In most counties where there is oil law enforcement doesn’t care...I have had them wave at me many times. But in counties where there is not oil you usually need to stick to the speed limits...they need the ticket revenue.

Under the right conditions, in the right vehicle I have been very comfortable driving at those speeds.

Texas builds their highways to better standards than Oklahoma...I believe we should upgrade our standards of highway construction to what Texas builds

Quote Originally Posted by soonerheart View Post
    In many areas of west Texas if you’re only driving 80 MHP on a 2 lane road you are a hazard, even back in the 55 mph days.

I have set my cruise control as high as 105 MPH.... Where its 30 to 50 miles between small towns, on 2 lane roads that are in mint condition, where the ground is flat and many times not seen but one or 2 other vehicles and one of those might be passing you...

In most counties where there is oil law enforcement doesn’t care...I have had them wave at me many times. But in counties where there is not oil you usually need to stick to the speed limits...they need the ticket revenue.

Under the right conditions, in the right vehicle I have been very comfortable driving at those speeds.

Texas builds their highways to better standards than Oklahoma...I believe we should upgrade our standards of highway construction to what Texas builds
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
    That's why I don't like when people always assume the de facto rule is everyone will do 10 over regardless of the speed limit. I believe even it has been shown most people on the autobahns in Germany where there is no speed limit in areas will still only travel around 80-90(MPH).

Quote Originally Posted by soonerheart View Post
    There is rural vs urban argument... but there is also a rural vs extremely rural such as in far western Oklahoma and in the panhandle where if the highway is in good condition a day time 90 MPH + speed limit would be completely appropriate due to extremely light traffic.

I do believe due to the many night time critters that love to find rural roads at night that and with shorter visibilities that a slower night time speed is very appropriate.
    I agree with you one hundred percent and I also want to note 100 MPH may seem fast on paper but it's really not. In most modern cars you could go 100 and not notice less you fly past people.

As for your last sentence, I agree. I wish Oklahoma would start building more wildlife over/underpasses.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    As for your last sentence, I agree. I wish Oklahoma would start building more wildlife over/underpasses.
    Makes me think of when I was in the Florida keys last week. While driving highway 1 through Big Pine, there were tons of deer crossing signs, and all these warning signs about "speed kills Pine Deer". My comment to my wife was why don't they move the deer crossing signs somewhere safer so the deer don't get hit.

*she didn't think it was funny*

Thread Information