Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Daylight Savings Time

Default Re: Daylight Savings Time

As any farmer would be more than happy to tell you, we never needed it, at least certainly not on their behalf. The cows don't care what time the clock says, they really only know milking time and feeding time. The rooster doesn't check his watch before crowing.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by stile99 View Post
    As any farmer would be more than happy to tell you, we never needed it, at least certainly not on their behalf. The cows don't care what time the clock says, they really only know milking time and feeding time. The rooster doesn't check his watch before crowing.
    Exactly. Farmers were opposed to it and animals and crops never needed it.

3. Default Re: Daylight Savings Time

If we don't change time twice a year how will I know to check my smoke alarm batteries?

Urban legend. Ben Franklin, as he did with many of his articles/essays, was being a smart alec. Linked article even says it.

The problem with the legend is nobody ever reads the actual article he wrote. He wasn't suggesting anyone change their clocks, he was suggesting people get up before noon. So they could open their shutters and "let the dark out". Benjamin being the first person in history to discover that the sun started generating light as soon as it rose.

Whatever. Doesn't really matter.

Yes, you are correct, but only to a certain point. The cows don't care what the clock time is, but they (and any other animal) know when their milking and feeding time has changed, and they don't know or understand why. Any animal that requires human maintenance notices the change in their maintenance schedule because us humans have changed the time we perform it. All they know is it's earlier or later than what they've become used to. Even our domestic pets (dogs, cats, etc.) notice they get fed earlier or later.

emtefury

Hopefully in February the legislature will keep us at standard time. The time changes are unnecessary.

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    Yes, it would be so good to have the sun rising at ~ 5:15 a.m. and setting at ~ 7:45 p.m. all summer.
    Yeah, I can already hear it now..."How come it doesn't stay light as late as it used to? It used to be light much later than this during the summer? I want it to be light later."
    And the reply would be..."Well, the reason is because you people didn't want to change the clocks forward anymore. So instead of the Sun setting at 8:45pm, it now sets at 7:45pm.

People don't think these things out.

Or we could just let the Legislature worry with things which matter, and we can just continue adjusting the clocks since it's not hurting anything anyway (aside from a few feelings here and there).

Quote Originally Posted by jompster View Post
    Or we could just let the Legislature worry with things which matter, and we can just continue adjusting the clocks since it's not hurting anything anyway (aside from a few feelings here and there).
    That may be the most ignorant statement ever posted on here. Please don't take this as an attack, but an opportunity to do a little research and learn. It most certainly does cause a lot of hurt, up to and including death, that's the point. While ignorant people still try to claim energy savings, the cost is massive and far outweighs any savings.

That, and the whole death thing.

Don't worry, I've seen plenty of more ignorant comments in other threads. I've read about all that, but maybe it's lost on me because I don't stress over it. I'm not taking it as an attack. I get from where you're coming.

Quote Originally Posted by billokc View Post
    emtefury

Hopefully in February the legislature will keep us at standard time. The time changes are unnecessary.

Yeah, I can already hear it now..."How come it doesn't stay light as late as it used to? It used to be light much later than this during the summer? I want it to be light later."
    And the reply would be..."Well, the reason is because you people didn't want to change the clocks forward anymore. So instead of the Sun setting at 8:45pm, it now sets at 7:45pm.

People don't think these things out.
    I would prefer it get darker earlier. At least 7:45pm in the summer would be bearable.

I never understood the big deal about the change for some people. It is a minor inconvenience for most. Like most things the reports of all the "issues" are overblown. I hate standard time, it is already dark here in Denver at 4:30 in the winter. Your location in the time zone makes a difference.

I saw an online poll somewhere (for what little they are worth) asking whether to keep the DST change, standard time year round or make standard time to be the same as DST and it was overwhelmingly for DST year round. Saw a similar one for England and in The Japan Times and the people there wanted permanent DST. I know that it gets dark in Tokyo at 4:30 also.

https://kfor.com/2019/01/25/bill-pro...e-in-oklahoma/

So if all-year Daylight Saving Time isn't an option, fine. We'll go the other direction.

This is the third or fourth state I've read about in the last couple weeks. Kansas wants to end it as well. Washington is proposing the all-year DST, I imagine they'll learn the same lesson.

https://www.kansas.com/news/politics...224747030.html

http://mynorthwest.com/1242751/washi...t-saving-time/

https://www.12news.com/article/news/...5-d1f61da04c30

https://www.courant.com/politics/hc-...s2m-story.html

https://wdef.com/2019/01/16/daylight...ack-tennessee/

This idiotic habit is not long for this world, thankfully.

I would do away with it if it was my choice. Moving your clock forward and backwards every spring and fall seems pretty dumb to me.

This idiotic habit is not long for this world, thankfully.
    Not as idiotic as wanting the sun to rise before 6 a.m. and set before 8 p.m. in the summertime.

The best reason to end this inane time shifting is that the house will be cooler when you go to bed. That means you won't need to set your thermostat so low to be comfortable in bed. Saves money & uses less energy.

Not as idiotic as wanting the sun to rise before 6 a.m. and set before 8 p.m. in the summertime.
    Well the answer to that is clear, but Congress won't allow it.

This. Also, one would think that our Legislature has more pressing things on which they should be focusing.

This. Also, one would think that our Legislature has more pressing things on which they should be focusing.
    Yeah yeah yeah, and as long as cancer exists, scientists should only work on that. As if scientists and legislators do just one thing at a time.

So...is the idea to stay on permanent standard time or daylight savings time?

Quote Originally Posted by 5alive View Post
    So...is the idea to stay on permanent standard time or daylight savings time?
    The intelligent thing to do, at least for this area, would be DST year-round. Congress refuses to allow that, and when asked to change the law preventing it, said "we prefer to leave that to the states", without giving them the actual power to do so. That's why there are so many bills being introduced to just say forget about DST entirely.

Yeah yeah yeah, and as long as cancer exists, scientists should only work on that. As if scientists and legislators do just one thing at a time.
    Things. Plural. *eyeroll*

Talk about first world problems. Geeze.

Things. Plural. *eyeroll*
    That would be the point, yes.

Thread Information