Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Daylight Savings Time

1. Default Daylight Savings Time

I know it takes a few days to get used to the time change, but if you like daylight savings time and live in Oklahoma, call your legislators and tell them we don't want to change back in the fall. I like it being light longer in the day. I hope we don't ever have to change back

Default Re: Daylight Savings Time

At first thought I was for this but I am actually not because it would greatly mess up my work schedule. Even if Oklahoma didn't do the time change, any business that does business in other states would be affected and it would be a confusing mess. I would be for DST all year but only if the entire country (or most of it) decided to do it.

For the reasons bchris noted, I always thought Texas would be the one to get the rest of the Central Time Zone states to follow. "We're big, and if you don't like it we don't care", and all that.

That said, we are so far into the digital age that I just don't accept business with other states as a reason to keep subjecting ourselves to this nonsense. If you currently do business with states in other time zones, that argument falls flat immediately, you already have to adapt. We're a global economy now, where not only do we have to be concerned with the time in neighboring states but other countries and other continents as well. Business is conducted without a second, or even first thought to this, it's just simply done.

As for being light longer in the day, an old Native American proverb: Only the White Man can cut a foot off the top of the blanket and sew it to the bottom thinking he's getting a longer blanket.

HangryHippo Guest

This horse**** is unnatural and needs to be done away with. It should just be the normal time the entire year. As stile said, just adapt.

I imagine if we did change we'd probably just start referring to it as Oklahoma Time until everyone else in this country got on board. It would be confusing at first but eventually people would figure it out just like they do for Arizona.

6. Default Re: Daylight Savings Time

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    At first thought I was for this but I am actually not because it would greatly mess up my work schedule. Even if Oklahoma didn't do the time change, any business that does business in other states would be affected and it would be a confusing mess. I would be for DST all year but only if the entire country (or most of it) decided to do it.
    It's no more inconvenient than the fact we have different time zones already. Additionally, there are already states (and territories) that don't pointlessly move their clocks back and forth and it hasn't been a big deal.

I'm all for getting rid of it. Keep the sun up a bit longer year round.

FYI it's SB 1309 for those that want to write their senator.

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    It's no more inconvenient than the fact we have different time zones already. Additionally, there are already states (and territories) that don't pointlessly move their clocks back and forth and it hasn't been a big deal.

I'm all for getting rid of it. Keep the sun up a bit longer year round.
    That would be a permanent daylight savings time and just not falling back every fall. I think we would be better off in sacrificing the 1 hr in the summer. As opposed to going to work and school in the complete dark all during the winter and outdoor construction not starting till 8:30 or 9 in January. Northern states would definitely not want to do this. Russia tried this for a few years and abandoned it.

Edit: I just realized you were talking about getting rid of fall back and not DST.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    FYI it's SB 1309 for those that want to write their senator.
    And just to be clear, that bill calls for adopting DST permanently, not for standard time to be the standard time.

10. Default Re: Daylight Savings Time

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    And just to be clear, that bill calls for adopting DST permanently, not for standard time to be the standard time.
    https://www.npr.org/2018/03/11/59270...ht-saving-time

Looks like Florida just passed it.

Interesting bit in the article:

"That's because federal law allows states to opt out of daylight saving time, as in Hawaii and most of Arizona, but not out of standard time."

So once again, OK wants to do something that isn't really legal...

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    This horse**** is unnatural and needs to be done away with. It should just be the normal time the entire year. As stile said, just adapt.
    I agree,just leave it alone! Stop going forwards and backwards is pretty darn stupid if you think about it.

So Florida's law doesn't really have chance to actually be enacted unless congress changes their time zone? Oklahoma would need to be moved to Eastern? There's legitimate concerns with permanent DST such as children walking in the mornings so I doubt congress would ever allow a change to permanent DST. It really needs to be standard time or keep changing the clocks twice per year.

Is it really even that big of a deal? It takes two minutes to change your clocks. In Spring, go to bed an hour early to account for the hour lost. In Fall, go to a bar and get two last calls.

Easy.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    There's legitimate concerns with permanent DST such as children walking in the mornings
    Which was exactly the excuse Congress gave when they EXTENDED it in the first place.

Ok, I"m a little confused. I want DST permanent. I think that makes me in favor of 1309, correct?

Yeah, going home in near dusk/darkness at 430-5pm is totally natural.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    Yeah, going home in near dusk/darkness at 430-5pm is totally natural.
    Beats driving to work at night.

Ok, I"m a little confused. I want DST permanent. I think that makes me in favor of 1309, correct?
    Yes sir.

In non DST my kids walk to school and home in the light. Right now with DST they're walking in pitch black in the mornings. Which one is safer for them?

Beats driving to work at night.
    We disagree. I'd much rather drive to work in the lower light time of day.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    In non DST my kids walk to school and home in the light. Right now with DST they're walking in pitch black in the mornings. Which one is safer for them?
    What time are they walking to school? I'm driving to work between 645-700 AM and it's already well beyond "pitch black" by then.

What time are they walking to school? I'm driving to work between 645-700 AM and it's already well beyond "pitch black" by then.
    The ones with pre school activities are heading out closer to 6am. The bus' also start running not much after that. It's already starting to get lighter now, but can you imagine a month ago? Or two?

Pitch black may be an exaggeration, but it's pretty dark. And their are stretches in my neighborhood on the way to the school where there are no street lights. I get nervous jogging in the morning. Especially since so many cars use this drive through my neighborhood as a shortcut to work and speed through there.

24. Default Re: Daylight Savings Time

It wouldn't be able to pass because Congress would have to approve adoption of DST for full year. States can only opt out of DST, they can't extend it.

Editorial .....
    Personally, I think extending DST in the fall (to November) was dumb; IMO DST should begin just before the Spring Equinox (Mar 21) and DST should end just after the Fall Equinox (Sept 21). Having DST from say Mar 10 until say Oct 1 would be my preference. Also, instead of starting DST on Sunday, they should do it on Friday night/Saturday so most folks (who have those days off) can have that entire weekend to adjust. ...

anyway, my thoughts. ...
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

We disagree. I'd much rather drive to work in the lower light time of day.
    Getting dark between 5:30-6:00 pm is fine by me. Just leave the clocks alone because when it changes it screws with your internal time clock. Prob takes years off your life.

Thread Information