Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NW 25th & Shartel

Uptown/23rd NW 25th & Shartel

Built in 1917 at NW 25th & Shartel as the United Presbyterian Church, the historic building has been vacant for years and nearly ruined.

A plan is in motion to completely restore the church including the stained glass windows, and convert the interior into 4 apartments. Another 4 units are planned for the lot to the south, all within walking distance of Uptown and The Paseo.

Design is by Common Works Architects.

Default Re: NW 25th & Shartel

Love it!

I've been passing by this ruin of a property for years, hoping someone would restore it.

Should be a great project.

Yes! Been super excited about this project since first hearing about it. Great example of both infill and adaptive reuse.

I haven't heard much about it recently since it got approval from the Planning Commission. Is construction expected to start soon?

Quote Originally Posted by LocoAko View Post
    Yes! Been super excited about this project since first hearing about it. Great example of both infill and adaptive reuse.

I haven't heard much about it recently since it got approval from the Planning Commission. Is construction expected to start soon?
    They are seeking separate design approval for the church, which is pending.

Once that is received, they should be good to file building permit applications which always take a couple of months to process.

Now this will be an awesome project. I would love to find an old relic like this and turn it into a home in retirement. There used to be some show that featured homes made out of former churches, fire stations, gas stations, etc. Some of them were so fascinating.

It would be cool if the architect could incorporate half-round windows in the new apartment construction to tie both structures together but I realize that cost savings is more important than style.

It looks more of an apartment than a church but it looks cool

From a religious perspective, using God's house to house the living, that's a good turnaround.

From a secular perspective, this is awesome. There's literally nothing wrong with this.

I’ve driven past here many times going to and from my haircut appointments. Every time I see it, it reminds me of being a kid, riding through old towns in the Delta/South Mississippi with abandoned brick churches, schools, or stores where the fallen bricks have exposed the wood interior and most of the property, along with half the structure, covered in kudzu. In that sense, I’ll miss the odd nostalgic feeling it would give me but at the same time, I’m pleased to see a building that has a personal significance to me get repurposed as a unique living space.

Oklahoma City has some really neat, older, historic structures, so I always get fairly enlivened when I see developments mindfully incorporating them. (Same with grown, mature trees)

Drive by this all the time been wondering how long it would stay the way it is

Love this. So, three-story units?

13. Default Re: NW 25th & Shartel

Ah, thank goodness. I’ve been worried about this place for years.

When was the last time services were held here? I seem to remember some activity when I lived nearby in 2013

Quote Originally Posted by cinnamonjock View Post
    When was the last time services were held here? I seem to remember some activity when I lived nearby in 2013
    Yes, there was a Baptist congregation until about 5-10 years ago.

I've made this point many times but there are a ton of churches around OKC that are vacant or with tiny congregations. There is a growing challenge around what to do with them all, especially those with architectural or historical value. Increasingly, they are outside design review boundaries. This property is not, hence the adaptive use.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Yes, there was a Baptist congregation until about 5-10 years ago.

I've made this point many times but there are a ton of churches around OKC that are vacant or with tiny congregations. There is a growing challenge around what to do with them all, especially those with architectural or historical value. Increasingly, they are outside design review boundaries. This property is not, hence the adaptive use.
    Village Christian Church on Britton is in that situation, but it's so architecturally unique that it would take some serious creativity to adapt it to any kind of re-use.

I am both extremely disappointed and ecstatic at the news of this development. Ecstatic, because it looks like a fantastic reuse of the church, which has been in bad shape for a while, but still had really good bones. It's also in a great location that needs more dense housing. Extremely disappointed, because I had strongly been considering buying this church to do something similar with it, but I didn't pull the trigger in time because I just couldn't make up my mind if I wanted to undertake such a large project. Definition of you snooze, you lose.

Quote Originally Posted by king183 View Post
    I am both extremely disappointed and ecstatic at the news of this development. Ecstatic, because it looks like a fantastic reuse of the church, which has been in bad shape for a while, but still had really good bones. It's also in a great location that needs more dense housing. Extremely disappointed, because I had strongly been considering buying this church to do something similar with it, but I didn't pull the trigger in time because I just couldn't make up my mind if I wanted to undertake such a large project. Definition of you snooze, you lose.
    That is a shame, I would liked to see your design and creativity

Any word on the church on 30th just east of Paseo Daiquiri Lounge?

It's been an eye sore for a long time now

If that the one that had a partial fire a year or two ago, then I read a headline today that the city council might let a contract to demolish it tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by shartel_ave View Post

How is it not illegal for a building to be half destroyed rubble for so long? I’d be really frustrated if I lived next door.

Quote Originally Posted by shartel_ave View Post

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ok...bcd4e77f5897c8

It is about time, they should have done it a long time ago

There is now an application to demolish the old church.

I spoke to the architect who said that the place is in horrible shape right down to the foundation. They went through a lot of trouble and expense to draw up plans and try to figure out a way to save it, but it's a small building and there is no way to justify it.

There is an application before the Historical Preservation Committee for demolition.

If you've been by there lately and taken any time to look around, you can see the place is a complete disaster.

They are still planning to build the new apartments.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    There is now an application to demolish the old church.

I spoke to the architect who said that the place is in horrible shape right down to the foundation. They went through a lot of trouble and expense to draw up plans and try to figure out a way to save it, but it's a small building and there is no way to justify it.

There is an application before the Historical Preservation Committee for demolition.

If you've been by there lately and taken any time to look around, you can see the place is a complete disaster.

They are still planning to build the new apartments.
    Is this a Commonworks Project?

Quote Originally Posted by ahutch View Post
    Is this a Commonworks Project?
    They are the architects but not the developers.

Thread Information