Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: TownePlace Suites

Default Re: TownePlace Suites

Quote Originally Posted by ABCOKC View Post
    Why especially with Rand's building happening? Do you think it will affect the design of this hotel in some way?

Genuinely asking for the sake of clarity
    I mean in reality Rands design is a very modern approach, the new offices across the street also will do that. Although we know the design will be urban, my concern really is that they will end up building something that stands out for the wrong reasons.
    yxets_main01_r.jpg
    I attached an image that shows a recent one they finished. Obviously ignore the layout, but i think elements of it are interesting and should be used. Id just love to see something more modern.

These discussions (and I admit sometimes I have gotten involved in them in the past) are what gets this site a bad name.

We haven't seen any designs or renderings, let's wait and see what they come up with before we pass judgment.

They don't really have the room on that piece of land for a sprawling suburban design. I doubt it's going to be built of the most expensive materials, but it'll probably be pretty urban. They aren't going to have to worry about parking with that giant garage nearby.

I’m confused.. so strange looking... that’s pretty bad design

I like that the garage is actually below the rooms. So tired of getting separately structured parking and avoiding height.

There's a Drury Hotel near me that has this same design and I always thought it was pretty sharp. The key is to not make the garage look so much like a garage.

https://www.druryhotels.com/location...is-creve-coeur

EDIT: The URL doesn't seem to work. It's the Drury Hotel in Creve Coeur, MO if anyone's curious.

I’m a big fan of the design honestly. I can’t wait to see work start

Blog Entries

we definitely need more of this type of design/thinking (integrated garages)

11. Default Re: TownePlace Suites

Im with the crowd on putting the garage below the rooms to get some height. Stayed in quite a few hotels set up this way and it's great. You get all covered parking and dont have to walk around to get to it, and things are a little more secure too. But like others have said, the key is to not make the garage look so garage-like. I think Marriott could have done better on that front and done a better job in that to tie the two pieces together. As it stands it looks very garage-like and the hotel looks like its been slapped on a pair of stilts.

As we see more infill in the area, I dont think it will look as weird as it does right now. The more structures around it you see, the more you'll be glad that there isn't a big surface lot next door....assuming the big surface lot next door gets built on lol.

I agree, it’s not the issue of the parking garage underneath the hotel, it’s the design they have made. It’s odd. Personally I’m not into the color of the brick. And all the vertical lines don’t help with the design or “connecting” the garage and hotel together. I think what they thought was that adding the vertical elements would make it modern, it doesn’t.
    I just don’t find the design appealing at all.

I don't think any of that is brick and this is going to get great scrutiny from design review and the unoffical Auto Alley / Rand Elliott group. Especially because it would be right next door to a Rand design (Heartland).

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I don't think any of that is brick and this is going to get great scrutiny from design review and the unoffical Auto Alley / Rand Elliott group. Especially because it would be right next door to a Rand design (Heartland).
    Not a fan of the design but this is such a huge conflict of interest.

Blog Entries

It won’t get changed because it is next to a Rand project and politics, it will be because it is ugly. Being next to Heartland’s building just emphasizes how ugly it is. It looks cheap.

Good idea...bad execution.

It's an extended stay, so I'm pretty sure everyone knew from jump that this wasn't going to be extravagant. They might be asked to rework the garage/ elevator facade. Maybe they could touch up the porte cochere a lil bit also (it looks cheap). But I think it will pass.

So, will this be 9 or 10 stories?

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    It won’t get changed because it is next to a Rand project and politics, it will be because it is ugly. Being next to Heartland’s building just emphasizes how ugly it is. It looks cheap.

Good idea...bad execution.
    This seems just as cheap looking as Heartland, IMO. Im not saying either looks bad, but very simple. Heartland is a basic steel and glass box, sort of a modern cheap look. The hotel is more traditional cheap look. Im fine with the look of both though and I dont see how you could be appalled by this being next to Heartland. Lets be honest, Heartland isnt comparable to something like the First National building.

And congrats on someone finally incorporating parking into the structure. Cant believe its taken this long, glad to see one structure rather than hotel plus garage next to it.

I love the concept, but that rendering is weird. Looks like someone photoshopped a hotel on top of a parking garage and didn't really do anything to blend the designs.

And of all projects, this one happens to have an existing parking garage directly across a closed alley to the south.

I know Heartland will be leasing a ton of spaces in there but you'd think it could easily accommodate hotel guests as well.

It’d be interesting to see a green wall placed over the parking structure. I hope this goes through multiple iterations before it gets built.

I'm in agreement with most of you - Great idea, terrible execution. I personally really like the facade of the hotel portion, but the garage portion is nothing short of ugly. If the facade of the hotel extended down to cover the facade of the garage, this would look a million times better. My only guess is they were trying to make the garage look similar to the one immediately south of this property, but like someone else mentioned, doing this just makes the hotel look like it's on stilts. It's... It's bad.

For an example of this concept executed properly, here's a screenshot from Google Maps of the hotel in Creve Coeur, MO that stlokc mentioned above, that incorporated the garage into the design of the rest of the hotel:

Quote Originally Posted by baralheia View Post
    I'm in agreement with most of you - Great idea, terrible execution. I personally really like the facade of the hotel portion, but the garage portion is nothing short of ugly. If the facade of the hotel extended down to cover the facade of the garage, this would look a million times better. My only guess is they were trying to make the garage look similar to the one immediately south of this property, but like someone else mentioned, doing this just makes the hotel look like it's on stilts. It's... It's bad.

For an example of this concept executed properly, here's a screenshot from Google Maps of the hotel in Creve Coeur, MO that stlokc mentioned above, that incorporated the garage into the design of the rest of the hotel:
    So much this!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by baralheia View Post

Funny that hotel still sits in a fairly good sized parking lot and is also across the street from the company's HQ I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyShack View Post
    Funny that hotel still sits in a fairly good sized parking lot and is also across the street from the company's HQ I believe.
    I drive by this building at least a few times a week. It is right next door to the company's HQ and, for that reason, is probably a higher-end design than your typical Drury-on-the-highway. But it doesn't have that much of a surface lot. Creve Coeur is one of the more high-end suburban districts in STL and there is quite a bit of redeveloping and building going on, the land is probably too pricey around there for as big a surface lot as this would need.

Thread Information