Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Alamo Drafthouse

Default Re: Alamo Drafthouse

Alamo would do well in OKC! I do have to say for Oklahoma residents, you all vote these clowns into office with their warped beliefs and divisiveness so you all are part of the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by progressiveboy View Post
    Alamo would do well in OKC! I do have to say for Oklahoma residents, you all vote these clowns into office with their warped beliefs and divisiveness so you all are part of the problem.
    At least OKC pretty much doesn't vote too much for the clowns, the rest of the state (with probably Tulsa as another exception) does - I know you did say "Oklahoma", so we're in agreement, it does get old, though. I'm in OKC and my district has a D House Rep and Senator that try to be on the right side of history.

Keep in mind Flix Brewhouse hasn't even reopened in OKC after making a huge investment. The new Warren in MWC is completely shuttered.

Theater chains are likely to be very conservative for the next few years not only due to concerns about getting the types of numbers they drew before the pandemic, but also having lost millions and being left with little/no capital.

People will still go out to the movies, but there is a real possibility in-theater viewings have peaked as more and more people have big TV's, home theater systems, high-speed wi-fi and a massive streaming library of all types of content.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Keep in mind Flix Brewhouse hasn't even reopened in OKC after making a huge investment. The new Warren in MWC is completely shuttered.

Theater chains are likely to be very conservative for the next few years not only due to concerns about getting the types of numbers they drew before the pandemic, but also having lost millions and being left with little/no capital.

People will still go out to the movies, but there is a real possibility in-theater viewings have peaked as more and more people have big TV's, home theater systems, high-speed wi-fi and a massive streaming library of all types of content.
    We used to like going to a theater to see a movie, but only if the audience behaved (no kicking seats, no cellphone use, etc.) and that good behavior stopped a while ago, so we don't go to the theater anymore.

I was in the biz for quite a while and I used to go see *everything*. At least once a week.

I almost completely stopped going some time ago. You can own the movie forever for the price of one ticket and for a movie lover, that is a great proposition. Also, since everyone now subscribes to streaming services, you are going to get many movies already included in what you are paying anyway.

I have an awesome home theater setup so apart from something that really begs for the big screen or a film I am dying to see right away, I watch from home. I also don't get paying for ridiculously priced food and alcohol.

I think many people take this same approach and you also have the younger generations that have not grown up in theaters in the same way of previous generations.

Alamo takes a bit of a different approach with theme nights and more event-driven offerings, and that does have some appeal.

Pete, you are right about the home theatre setup and you can get pretty much theatre quality without the massive cost but there is still a social element to going to the theatres that is fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Pete, you are right about the home theatre setup and you can get pretty much theatre quality without the massive cost but there is still a social element to going to the theatres that is fun.
    Is there though? I mean, I get it for things like Marvel/Star Wars movies where people dress up to go to them. But for the majority of movies, I don't see how it's "social" except for maybe in situations where you don't want to invite 15 people over to your house. I mean, I get that sometimes it could be, but in general? Nah.

If we go, its matinees @ Tinseltown.

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    Is there though? I mean, I get it for things like Marvel/Star Wars movies where people dress up to go to them. But for the majority of movies, I don't see how it's "social" except for maybe in situations where you don't want to invite 15 people over to your house. I mean, I get that sometimes it could be, but in general? Nah.

If we go, its matinees @ Tinseltown.
    I should have better worded it but the entire physical experience overall.

Would 100% recommend matinees for anyone wanting to go to the theatre and avoid disruptive audience behavior. I've not been to once since before COVID (will likely change that in the next month or two) but I would rarely have issues with other people in the theatre talking when I bought a ticket for, say, an 11 a.m. Sunday showtime.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Agree that you can kind of, sort of replicate the theater experience for a reasonable cost, but it’s hard to nail all of the dynamics of the sound stage. The sound bars out there just don’t cut it.

And, I’ve got a buddy who recently dropped 80k on McIntosh separates and Wharfedale Diamond Elysian speakers. It sounds amazing, of course, but even his setup still falls well short of your average theater.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Has Flix opened any of their locations? Last I checked they were all still shutdown.

Quote Originally Posted by Mballard85 View Post
    Has Flix opened any of their locations? Last I checked they were all still shutdown.
    I expect them to reopen for the Marvel Black Widow movie next month. If not, I wouldn't expect them to reopen until a buyout or bankruptcy.

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    Would 100% recommend matinees for anyone wanting to go to the theatre and avoid disruptive audience behavior. I've not been to once since before COVID (will likely change that in the next month or two) but I would rarely have issues with other people in the theatre talking when I bought a ticket for, say, an 11 a.m. Sunday showtime.
    I have to echo this suggestion, it has been my personal strategy for years. Sunday morning showings in Oklahoma you effectively get your own private theater.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    I expect them to reopen for the Marvel Black Widow movie next month. If not, I wouldn't expect them to reopen until a buyout or bankruptcy.
    They'll be back open this summer.

tried to go to a movie at showbiz on Monday (didn't buy tickets in advance because there hasn't been a need to do that for months and months ) well fail by us ... the movie we wanted to see was sold out or only had 1st row seats for the next 4 showings .. and the theater was packed .. .

really good to see things getting back to normal

Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post
    They'll be back open this summer.
    Their Facebook page says they can't reopen until they receive their cut of the Federal SVOG (Save Venue Operators Grant) relief funds for theaters, live shows, etc.
    https://www.facebook.com/FlixBrewhouseOKC/?__xts__[%25AB0%25BB]=68.A

Not ideal, as I know from the music world that the feds have been absolutely awful at getting that money out in a timely manner.

Quote Originally Posted by rte66man View Post
    Their Facebook page says they can't reopen until they receive their cut of the Federal SVOG (Save Venue Operators Grant) relief funds for theaters, live shows, etc.
    https://www.facebook.com/FlixBrewhouseOKC/?__xts__[%25AB0%25BB]=68.A
    That money just now started to be distributed in the past couple of weeks so it looks like they will open up by July.

Thread Information