Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 96
  1. #1

    Default Streaming tv services in OKC

    With so many cable tv steaming services now days, Iím looking for opinions about the steaming tv experience in OKC. I am considering cutting my current Directv, keeping just internet and going to a streaming service.

    1. So, what service do you have or had? (PS Vue, Sling TV, Directv Now, YouTube TV, etc.)
    2. How do you watch local sports with the streaming service you have or had? (Mostly concerned about college football (OSU) and Thunder games)
    3. Have you gone over your data cap set by Cox or ATT internet when streaming tv and using the internet for other devices (WiFi, phones, computers, etc.)
    4. What device are you using to steam? (Apple TV, Amazon fire tv/stick, roku, etc.)
    5. Any other issues I am not thinking of or could possibly arise?

  2. #2

    Default Re: Streaming tv services in OKC

    I use Sling Tv and stream through Amazon fire. I work from home and have never exceeded internet data cap ( not sure if I have one or what it is actually if I do. ). It has Fox Sports SW and has a lot of Thunder games but not all. I wish it had all of them but oh well. I am pretty happy with the service its pretty good.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Streaming tv services in OKC

    Your location has nothing to do with it, your internet provider does, and more specifically your plan. The cutting the cable cord thread probably addresses the rest.

  4. Default Re: Streaming tv services in OKC

    We are primarily over-the-air (antenna) with Tivo for DVR. That said, we stream iTunes movies, Netflix, individual channel apps and Amazon Prime Video via Apple TV's on each television. Occasionally when our son comes to visit when an OU game is on, we sign up for one month of PS Vue and watch the game there.

    I personally never got used to the PS Vue interface.

    I did try YouTube TV on a free trial and I actually liked it. But we couldn't justify it when we knew we wouldn't watch it much.

  5. Default Re: Streaming tv services in OKC

    Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon after cutting the cord.....

    When I had cable I could flip through about 100 stations and never find anything to watch and now that I'm strictly over the air and have a choice of about a dozen stations I can almost always find something to watch.

    Granted most of my viewing is on AntennaTV, MeTV, Charge, & Comet, but I can almost always find something to watch on those channels.... I do wish I could get the 42-# channels but I think I'm right on the edge of their 30 mile broadcast range in Moore and can't get them with my internal antenna and don't want to mess with putting an antenna in the attic or outside.

  6. Default Re: Streaming tv services in OKC

    Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon after cutting the cord.....

    When I had cable I could flip through about 100 stations and never find anything to watch and now that I'm strictly over the air and have a choice of about a dozen stations I can almost always find something to watch.

    Granted most of my viewing is on AntennaTV, MeTV, Charge, & Comet, but I can almost always find something to watch on those channels.... I do wish I could get the 42-# channels but I think I'm right on the edge of their 30 mile broadcast range in Moore and can't get them with my internal antenna and don't want to mess with putting an antenna in the attic or outside.
    I have the MeTV and Antenna TV on a lot when I just want something going in the background. Nice to have some retro good old fashioned "wholesome" tv.

    One reason we kept TiVo was so that overtime we sit down there is always about 6-10 shows recorded to choose from. Plus, TiVo is pretty good at guessing what you like and grabbing it as a recorded "TiVo Suggestion." I didn't realize how often Big Bang Theory and Modern Family airs on TV until I created a OnePass to get them all.

    Additionally, we recently got really hooked on leaving the TV off and streaming podcasts throughout the house as we cook, clean, do laundry, etc. Started with "S-Town" and have been hooked on podcasts ever since.

  7. Default Re: Streaming tv services in OKC

    Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    I do wish I could get the 42-# channels but I think I'm right on the edge of their 30 mile broadcast range in Moore and can't get them with my internal antenna and don't want to mess with putting an antenna in the attic or outside.
    I use this antenna on all our TV's and I think we get 40+ total channels. UltraPro Hover HD 250 for $13.30 ($35 at Walmart)

  8. #8

    Default Re: Streaming tv services in OKC

    There's lots of deals out there for streaming tv services. I recently took a deal from directTV NOW where I prepaid for 3 months service ($105) and got a brand new Apple TV 4K 32GB ($179) for free. It arrived in about a week. I'm not impressed at all with directTV NOW and pretty much only use it to watch thunder games but I like getting the new Apple TV 4K for $105. I will for sure cancel after the 3 months is up.
    Don't hassle me, I'm local.

  9. Default Re: Streaming tv services in OKC

    Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    I use this antenna on all our TV's and I think we get 40+ total channels. UltraPro Hover HD 250 for $13.30 ($35 at Walmart)
    Do you know the range on it? If I recall correctly you are on the north side/Edmond area where this tower is located. So you probably get the 42-# channels I'm talking about... It's KBZC.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KBZC-LD

  10. Default Re: Streaming tv services in OKC

    I have a ROKU that I use to watch Amazon Prime and Netflix. It also gets 1000 free channels over the internet.

  11. Default Re: Streaming tv services in OKC

    Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    Do you know the range on it? If I recall correctly you are on the north side/Edmond area where this tower is located. So you probably get the 42-# channels I'm talking about... It's KBZC.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KBZC-LD
    Range is listed as "50+ Miles" It also has the option to amplify the signal electronically.

    I do know we tried those mud flap style antennas that are very popular and they didn't get us nearly as many channels.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Streaming tv services in OKC

    We have a $10 rabbit ear antenna in our attic, runs down to an amplifier and we get around 40 OTA channels from the OKC Market on all of our TV's.

    We had SlingTV for about a year, and liked the service for $20. We recently switched to DirecTV Now for the AppleTV 4K promotion mentioned above. Though the service is more than what we were paying for SlingTV ($20 vs $35), DirecTV Now seems to stream all of their channels at 60 frames per second which gives everything a much more natural feel to traditional TV, and helpful in sports viewing. We have watched the Winter Olympics on DTV Now and the quality has been great. Also, if you have AT&T Wireless for your mobile provider there are also some incentives with DirecTV Now since AT&T is the parent company.
    For the price, we like DirecTV's channel lineup compared to SlingTV Orange and Blue Packages. However, for an entry level into OTT streaming, the SlingTV Orange package for $20 was great, unless you needed to view Big 12 or Thunder games on Fox Sports. We have had minimal buffering or problems with either SlingTV or DirecTV Now.

    As for the data caps, we haven't really every come close to the Cox 1TB limit. We have noticed we average about 30 gigs a day for weekend viewing and maybe 10 gigs at most during the week for a few hours in the evening. I think the most we have ever hit in the last year was 700 gbs on a 1TB limit. (70% of limit)

    Like nearly everyone else who has cut the cord, we still subscribe to Netflix and Prime for movie viewing too.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Streaming tv services in OKC

    My main concerns are trying to stream big 12/college football games when it is that time of season and the ability to watch most of the thunder games.

    I already have amazon fire tv’s connected to the main tv’s we watch. I also have an Apple TV in my office. Since we currently have directv satellite, I already have OTA antennas connected to the main tv’s.

    We do have ATT as our cell phone provider. What promotions are out there for directv now and ATT wireless customers?

    I have noticed that with PS Vue and Directv Now, there are packages that have the espn’s and Fox sports networks. Wondering if I can watch big 12 college football on Fox sports 1, Fox sports 2 or Fox sports Oklahoma/Southwest when the time comes? I don’t like the idea of having to log in to an app like the FS go app or Espn app to find sports all of the time.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Streaming tv services in OKC

    Quote Originally Posted by Relentless85 View Post
    My main concerns are trying to stream big 12/college football games when it is that time of season and the ability to watch most of the thunder games.

    I already have amazon fire tv’s connected to the main tv’s we watch. I also have an Apple TV in my office. Since we currently have directv satellite, I already have OTA antennas connected to the main tv’s.

    We do have ATT as our cell phone provider. What promotions are out there for directv now and ATT wireless customers?

    I have noticed that with PS Vue and Directv Now, there are packages that have the espn’s and Fox sports networks. Wondering if I can watch big 12 college football on Fox sports 1, Fox sports 2 or Fox sports Oklahoma/Southwest when the time comes? I don’t like the idea of having to log in to an app like the FS go app or Espn app to find sports all of the time.
    I cut the cord for 2-3 years, and supplemented with Sling and Netflix. Wifi for my apartment was ~$75/month through Cox. I now pay $100/month for ATT which includes wifi, two cable boxes, HBO/Showtime/Cinemax and all the sports channels. Due to different blackouts and glitches I found Sling way too cumbersome and unreliable for watching sports. It worked most of the time, but didn't have the access that I wanted compared to cable. I still don't watch 90% of the channels on cable, but for College /NFL/Thunder and all other sports, I still think cable is the best option.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Streaming tv services in OKC

    My friend cancelled att u-verse and went with PlayStation vue. In order to watch the thunder game last night, which I assume was carried on Fox sports Oklahoma, he had to use the Fox sports go app and stream it through the app.

    So I guess even though he as the ps vue package that is supposed to contain the regional fox sports networks, you still have to use the fox sports go app to watch thunder games.

    He was able to watch the Oklahoma State vs Texas Tech basketball game because it was on ESPN U.

    Wonder what happens with college football. My guess is that you would still have to use the sports apps to stream and log on via the PlayStation vue credentials.

    I agree that cable/satellite is the best option for sports. The prices are the issues.

  16. Default Re: Streaming tv services in OKC

    FYI - there is a pretty good promotion going on right now through DIRECTV NOW - Prepay for only 3 months of service ($35/mo = $105) and get a brand new Apple TV 4K for FREE! ($179 value).

    Plus, there are some other promotions that can be stacked right now - like a Bank Of America $35 rebate, etc.

    Good deal if you are in the market for a Apple streaming device for the best price in town - plus you can check out DIRECTV NOW for 3 months.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Streaming tv services in OKC

    Recently switched to DirectTV Now to the 80 channel package for $50 a month which gives us Fox Sports Oklahoma as an actual channel. We will drop down to $35/month plan when thunder games are over. We wanted to get Sling because its built right into the TV (as an app in LG WebOS) but Discovery channel and Science channel were not available on Sling whatsoever so it was a deal breaker.

    No DVR currently on DirectTV Now however they say its coming soon. We use an inexpensive Roku and have to change HDMI inputs in order to watch TV (requires an additional remote for Roku), not a big deal though.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Streaming tv services in OKC

    Quote Originally Posted by SSEiYah View Post
    Recently switched to DirectTV Now to the 80 channel package for $50 a month which gives us Fox Sports Oklahoma as an actual channel. We will drop down to $35/month plan when thunder games are over. We wanted to get Sling because its built right into the TV (as an app in LG WebOS) but Discovery channel and Science channel were not available on Sling whatsoever so it was a deal breaker.

    No DVR currently on DirectTV Now however they say its coming soon. We use an inexpensive Roku and have to change HDMI inputs in order to watch TV (requires an additional remote for Roku), not a big deal though.
    Are you experiencing the blue circle (buffering) at all while watching? We loved DirectTVNow but around Christmas it just starting having huge buffering issues. It was so bad we switched to SlingTV which never buffers.

  19. Default Re: Streaming tv services in OKC

    Quote Originally Posted by MagzOK View Post
    Are you experiencing the blue circle (buffering) at all while watching? We loved DirectTVNow but around Christmas it just starting having huge buffering issues. It was so bad we switched to SlingTV which never buffers.
    We've only been DirectTV Now users for a few weeks (doing the 3 months to get the Apple TV). So far it has been great, with no buffering issues. We did have buffering with Sling when we tried it. DirectTV Now also streams great to our smart phones - but with and without wifi. It's been great to watch while at the gym (on WiFi) or on the road. While we will probably cancel at the end of the prepaid 3-months, I would consider it during the winter months when we are inside more. Definitely needs a DVR feature though - it's in Beta now.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Streaming tv services in OKC

    Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    We've only been DirectTV Now users for a few weeks (doing the 3 months to get the Apple TV). So far it has been great, with no buffering issues. We did have buffering with Sling when we tried it. DirectTV Now also streams great to our smart phones - but with and without wifi. It's been great to watch while at the gym (on WiFi) or on the road. While we will probably cancel at the end of the prepaid 3-months, I would consider it during the winter months when we are inside more. Definitely needs a DVR feature though - it's in Beta now.
    Thanks for the info. We really like the interface/guide with DirectTVNow moreso than Sling and would switch back if they got the buffering fixed up. In January there were lots of internet complaints regarding the buffering. Thanks again.

  21. Default Re: Streaming tv services in OKC

    Just another quick update. I ran into a Sprint store for something and was reminded I could now get Hulu streaming service for free with my Sprint account! I signed up and it is set to start in a week or so. I tried Hulu in the past and preferred my cable and Netflix options, but with Cox cable gone and this free - I'm all in.

  22. #22

    Default Re: Streaming tv services in OKC

    Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    We've only been DirectTV Now users for a few weeks (doing the 3 months to get the Apple TV). So far it has been great, with no buffering issues. We did have buffering with Sling when we tried it. DirectTV Now also streams great to our smart phones - but with and without wifi. It's been great to watch while at the gym (on WiFi) or on the road. While we will probably cancel at the end of the prepaid 3-months, I would consider it during the winter months when we are inside more. Definitely needs a DVR feature though - it's in Beta now.
    I took the exact same offer. My only complaints is the program guide is terrible and there is no DVR. I've yet to have a buffering issue although I seldom watch anything on it. Now on the plus side the Apple TV 4K totally rocks. That alone is well worth taking the offer.
    Don't hassle me, I'm local.

  23. #23

    Default Re: Streaming tv services in OKC

    Can anyone with DirecTV Now answer this? If you are in the OKC area, do you have NBC/KFOR available?

    I live in SW OK. My DirecTV Now service has CBS, ABC, and Fox, all OKC affiliates. I also have CBS All Access which has the CBS affiliate out of Wichita Falls. However, NBC does not provide a local affiliate from either OKC or Wichita Falls. The NBC app and the NBC access through DirecTV Now only shows limited programming and nothing Live.

    Anyone know the reason?

  24. #24

    Default Re: Streaming tv services in OKC

    Quote Originally Posted by Motley View Post
    Can anyone with DirecTV Now answer this? If you are in the OKC area, do you have NBC/KFOR available?
    No, KFOR is not available on DirecTV Now. Best guess, DirecTV Now/ATT could not come to a streaming agreement with KFOR/Tribune. Hearst (KOCO), Sinclair (FOX 25), and Griffin (KWTV), appears did.

    As for the NBC App, I have not noticed any problems accessing on-demand NBC programs.

    For those that have SlingTV and the blue package, is KFOR offered with the other NBC branded channels?

  25. #25

    Default Re: Streaming tv services in OKC

    Get a Amazon fire stick and jailbreak it. I cut my cox cable off as soon as I got it.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Tout services
    By ddavidson8 in forum Sports
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-11-2011, 09:24 AM
  2. Web Design Services
    By BrettL in forum Businesses & Employers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-31-2011, 11:27 AM
  3. House Cleaning Services/Maid Services
    By Jon27 in forum Businesses & Employers
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-20-2011, 04:14 PM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-27-2011, 04:31 PM
  5. Christmas Eve services
    By Patrick in forum Current Events & Open Topic
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-21-2004, 11:32 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO