Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Streaming tv services in OKC

Default Re: Streaming tv services in OKC

Quote Originally Posted by djohn View Post
    Has anyone heard anything new on Fox regionals and YouTube TV? ...or other streaming services?
    As for YTTV, I haven't heard anything.

With YTTV ditching the Fox regional channels, I'm thinking of options for the upcoming Thunder games. Is NBA League Pass an option or are games blacked out here in OKC? At the moment League Pass is only $60 for an annual pass.

League Pass blacks out all local games, so you won’t be able to use it to watch the Thunder if you’re located in the OKC market area.

Quote Originally Posted by kswright29 View Post
    With YTTV ditching the Fox regional channels, I'm thinking of options for the upcoming Thunder games. Is NBA League Pass an option or are games blacked out here in OKC? At the moment League Pass is only $60 for an annual pass.
    you would need to use a VPN to make it think you are in a different location

I didn't go through the entire thread, but what I did see was that no one mentioned Kodi or any of the Fire tv devices. I've had Kodi for about 3 years and have experimented with several other set ups for streaming. Lots of free services available with Fire Stick or any number of devices for streaming. Pluto tv, Cinema hd, US tv and radio, Peacock(NBC). Go to You Tube and search for IPTV live tv and movies and tv. You will be surprised how much free or low cost viewing there is. Several names to look for is Dr Venture or Troy point. They show how to set up cord cutting services. There are many others , you just have to look and watch the instructional videos.

Also, some of the pay services are pre pay, I would avoid most of those. I was burned once by prepaying a month in advance. Best thing to do is just search and experiment. Most of the pay services offer a free trial, usually 1- 3 days. Just look for apps, builds, or Apks.

Quote Originally Posted by asoonergeezer View Post
    I didn't go through the entire thread, but what I did see was that no one mentioned Kodi or any of the Fire tv devices. I've had Kodi for about 3 years and have experimented with several other set ups for streaming. Lots of free services available with Fire Stick or any number of devices for streaming. Pluto tv, Cinema hd, US tv and radio, Peacock(NBC). Go to You Tube and search for IPTV live tv and movies and tv. You will be surprised how much free or low cost viewing there is. Several names to look for is Dr Venture or Troy point. They show how to set up cord cutting services. There are many others , you just have to look and watch the instructional videos.
    Yes, there are a lot of free TV services that are good, but Kodi tends to be regarded as software used for pirating media (I won't argue the point, I've used Kodi for years), and it also requires a bit more technical involvement than just installing an app. I eventually got tired of keeping it updated, and it was just a lot easier to pay for services. I do like PlutoTV a lot, though.

I coudln't ever get kodi to load/stream as reliably as a paid service to the point I just said eff it and go pay for a service. Even accounting for paid services on kodi.

I have to wonder at what point the scales will tip back towards me just paying for cable.

hulu+ has gone up to $65 a month
    amazon prime video is $14 a month. That's $80 right there on top of the $85 a month I pay for internet. It may be cheaper for me to just bundle with my internet provider again (Xfinity/comcast).

It is nice using hulu+ on any device, so long as no more than 2 are running at once. I have 3 different TV's I regularly watch (living room, office, and bedroom). The cost to have cable service to 3 TVs can add up for me. If I went to every TV in the house that would be 2 more. (2 guestrooms) At this price point, the only advantage is streaming on any TV. If the price goes up any more on these streaming services, I will dump them and go back to cable as it will be easier to deal with; plus not eating into my data cap or using bandwidth off of my wifi router.

Edit: Just out of curiosity I logged into my Xfinity account. I can keep my same high speed internet package, and get Live TV (200+ channels) for $110. For 3 rooms would be $135. I would guess after taxes it would come out to around $165, which is about what I am paying now between the 3 services I use. Hulu+ only gives me 65 channels. So really it would be a better deal to just go back to cable. Wonder how this will play out over the next few years as streaming services continue to increase prices and cable companies continue to get desperate.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    I have to wonder at what point the scales will tip back towards me just paying for cable.

hulu+ has gone up to $65 a month
    amazon prime video is $14 a month. That's $80 right there on top of the $85 a month I pay for internet. It may be cheaper for me to just bundle with my internet provider again (Xfinity/comcast).

It is nice using hulu+ on any device, so long as no more than 2 are running at once. I have 3 different TV's I regularly watch (living room, office, and bedroom). The cost to have cable service to 3 TVs can add up for me. If I went to every TV in the house that would be 2 more. (2 guestrooms) At this price point, the only advantage is streaming on any TV. If the price goes up any more on these streaming services, I will dump them and go back to cable as it will be easier to deal with; plus not eating into my data cap or using bandwidth off of my wifi router.

Edit: Just out of curiosity I logged into my Xfinity account. I can keep my same high speed internet package, and get Live TV (200+ channels) for $110. For 3 rooms would be $135. I would guess after taxes it would come out to around $165, which is about what I am paying now between the 3 services I use. Hulu+ only gives me 65 channels. So really it would be a better deal to just go back to cable. Wonder how this will play out over the next few years as streaming services continue to increase prices and cable companies continue to get desperate.
    The issue I am finding though is a lot of programming is shifting to the streaming services, for instance I see a lot of content that we would be interested in only available on the new Discovery+ service. I agree that it is getting crazy though, we have even thought about getting rid of it all and just relying on physical copy purchase/rental or what the library has to offer. Or better yet finding something more productive to do with our free time.

I don't really watch a lot of TV. Usually I use it for background noise, or something passive to look at while doing other things. I rarely watch sports, and any shows or movies I want to watch I usually have to pay for anyway.

I'm not high minded or proud, I watch TV constantly. At the least, I have one playing 24/7, and if I am awake I am also reading. Constantly. I am a certified Vidiot. And old. Born when Eisenhower was President.

I am amazed at the amount of TV content available for free on streaming services nowadays. This is truly the Golden Age of Streaming of Golden Age of Television. My main interest is really around 1965-85 and it seems to me that 90% of shows from that era are playing on an ad-supported platform 9 months of the year. I say 9 months because distribution deals are changing and shows move between streamers and might be idled for a few months.

If you can live with the commercial breaks that TV has had forever, then you can watch for free on services such as;
    Peacock
    Pluto
    Crackle
    Tubi
    IMDb
    YouTube (legally, and for free)

I'm sure there are many others, but if it is on a digital sub channel of Over The Air TV, then it is probably streaming somewhere.

I guess for me, I don't usually have a specific enough interest in shows or programs to know that I want to watch it. There are plenty of things I will watch, but very few I will specifically seek out. That is where I miss cable - I would never turn on a NASCAR race. But, if one is on when I turn the TV on I might watch it for a few minutes. I won't search through the guide to find a gardening show, but if it's maybe I'll watch it for a while. Same with many of the prime time TV shows. I find the acting and plots pretty terrible, but if it's on I will probably watch it. I miss that randomness with cable. The experience isn't the same on streaming services. Hulu+ does come close though.

If you have specific shows you want to watch, streaming is a great idea. I am not a TV fanatic, but tend to like watching whatever is on. It's hard to think of a show to download when you don't really have a "movie memory" to remember what show you want to watch, picking an episode, etc.

Pluto tv scratches that itch of randomness pretty well for the wife and me. It's easy to throw it on one of their "channels" during the day as background noise, or when we just want to watch something real quick. My only complaint is that they tend to run the same block of episodes for a given show a lot. For example their Star Trek channel keeps just showing the same dozen or so TNG episodes over and over.

I keep hoping the streaming services will add some sort of shuffle feature. If I could pick 10 tv shows and have it show me random episodes from that list, it'd be perfect. I have no interest in trying to rewatch all of Seinfeld or Friends or Cheers, etc, but I like catching the random episodes.

Anyone have any experience with AT&T TV NOW? I'm curious what that service is like as I'm looking at switching from YTTV. The package to get Fox Sports OK is $80, so $15 more a month than YTTV, but I'd be willing to pay that to watch the Thunder this season.

As of now, YTTV has lost all Disney owned channels, including ABC and all ESPN channels. Not cool with the start of bowl season. I’d expect something will have to give as I don’t see how YTTV can be competitive without these channels, but for how long will they be gone. Very frustrating.

As of now, YTTV has lost all Disney owned channels, including ABC and all ESPN channels. Not cool with the start of bowl season. I’d expect something will have to give as I don’t see how YTTV can be competitive without these channels, but for how long will they be gone. Very frustrating.
    Yes, very, very bad.

I don't think many people will keep Youtube TV without those channels; I know I won't.

Anyone have any experience with AT&T TV NOW? I'm curious what that service is like as I'm looking at switching from YTTV. The package to get Fox Sports OK is $80, so $15 more a month than YTTV, but I'd be willing to pay that to watch the Thunder this season.
    AT&T TV Now has changed names a few times. DirectTV Now to AT&T TV Now, to AT&T TV to now DirectTV Stream. It's all essentially the same interface. Out of all of the streaming LIVE TV services, we probably had that one the longest. (Sling, YouTube TV, Hulu TV, and AT&T). The interface was not as intuitive as YouTube, but everything else was solid. Rising costs were the reason we cancelled, we began at $35 a month and it slowly crept up to $60 plus.

Not sure if the partnership with AT&T still exists with the DirectTV spinoff, but when we had it with our AT&T internet and AT&T Wireless phone, the stream didn't count against our data usage/data caps. It was nice to use our iPhones out and about to check in on a game and not worry about data.

19. Default Re: Streaming tv services in OKC

Unfortunately Fox Sports no longer carries the Thunder. Bally's does.

Fubo is what I use. I get local channels, sports, Food Network, AMC, etc. I recommend them!

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    Unfortunately Fox Sports no longer carries the Thunder. Bally's does.
    Although the name changed the product is the same. When Disney bought Fox, most of the RSNs (Regional Sports Networks-forgive me for overexplaining) were sold to Sinclair. Sinclair is trying to make a large entrance into the sports programming field via their Stadium network (which primarily operates on digital sub-channels of Sinclair owned, over the air stations) and their RSN group. They secured a deal with Bally's to name the RSNs Bally's Sports x, in order to enhance the profile of both companies. Existing contracts and operations continued uninterrupted, AFAIK.

22. Default Re: Streaming tv services in OKC

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    Although the name changed the product is the same. When Disney bought Fox, most of the RSNs (Regional Sports Networks-forgive me for overexplaining) were sold to Sinclair. Sinclair is trying to make a large entrance into the sports programming field via their Stadium network (which primarily operates on digital sub-channels of Sinclair owned, over the air stations) and their RSN group. They secured a deal with Bally's to name the RSNs Bally's Sports x, in order to enhance the profile of both companies. Existing contracts and operations continued uninterrupted, AFAIK.
    Good to hear.

I watch all Thunder games without a stream service. SHHHHHHH

They got it resolved at Disney/abc/espn are back after one day. And you lol also get a $15 one time credit for that day without it

YouTube TV
    @YouTubeTV
    · 1h
    We're happy to announce that we've reached a deal with Disney and have already started to restore access to channels like ESPN and FX, and Disney recordings that were previously in your Library. Your local ABC station will also be turning on throughout the day.

Thread Information