Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Streaming tv services in OKC

Default Re: Streaming tv services in OKC

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    Thunder is staying on YTTV.

I Read this morning that Sinclair and YTTV have reached an agreement to continue to carry 19 of 21 Fox RSNs. Departing YYTV are Fox Sports West, Prime Ticket, and YES Network. I do not recall the story in the Oklahoman stating the duration of the deal, although I’m guessing it is multi year
    for the record our FSN regiongal never left YTTV

This is about Cox internet,

Is anyone else having trouble with slow speeds and buffering on your home and/or business Cox internet service?
    My business near State Fair Park, and residence near Casady Square are both suffering from buffering and slow loading at a rate I have never experienced. The Cox cable works fine at the house, and my AT&T cellular service is faster at playing movies than the Cox internet is.

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    This is about Cox internet,

Is anyone else having trouble with slow speeds and buffering on your home and/or business Cox internet service?
    My business near State Fair Park, and residence near Casady Square are both suffering from buffering and slow loading at a rate I have never experienced. The Cox cable works fine at the house, and my AT&T cellular service is faster at playing movies than the Cox internet is.
    Yes, I did have the problem. It was doing just as you said - buffering and speeds that made loading a site seem like the old 14.4 modems (actually it was at 15Mbps this morning). I did a reset today of my modem and my router both and it was back to normal, which for me is about 75-90Mbps (WiFi) on the Cox Premium 200Mbps plan. I get 200Mbps or a little over through my Cat 5 Ethernet cable.

4. Default Re: Streaming tv services in OKC

Most likely the high load on the network on your node. Lot of people staying at home.

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    Most likely the high load on the network on your node. Lot of people staying at home.
    Absolutely! You have a child or multiple children in a house streaming shows, while mom and dad are teleworking from a laptop/computer talking to coworkers via Skype, Zoom, etc. Multiply that by 250k households and it can slow things down on networks. A lot of the video streaming companies have said they will lower the default streams to 480 SD streams instead of 1080 HD streams. You, as a user can still switch this back, but the hope is the standard definition streams will ease some of the network traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by scottk View Post
    Absolutely! You have a child or multiple children in a house streaming shows, while mom and dad are teleworking from a laptop/computer talking to coworkers via Skype, Zoom, etc. Multiply that by 250k households and it can slow things down on networks. A lot of the video streaming companies have said they will lower the default streams to 480 SD streams instead of 1080 HD streams. You, as a user can still switch this back, but the hope is the standard definition streams will ease some of the network traffic.
    That only makes sense. And truly, not seeing something in super HD during this time of overload wouldn't bother me at all. I'm just glad it's an option in 2020 to stream tons of movies and TV into the house for less than the cost of a movie ticket or two.

And let's face it - a lot of people aren't going to notice a res drop from 1080p to 720p, (heck, even 480p) especially if they're watching on a 6" phone screen.

Will we see refunds for the drop in quality though? I pay for the UHD 4K Netflix, I don't want to be charged for higher quality streams and only getting 480p

9. Default Re: Streaming tv services in OKC

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyShack View Post
    Will we see refunds for the drop in quality though? I pay for the UHD 4K Netflix, I don't want to be charged for higher quality streams and only getting 480p
    Since it is month to month, just lower your plan.

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyShack View Post
    From my understanding, you can still manually switch to 4k UHD when your show/film begins and will stream at that quality.

11. Default Re: Streaming tv services in OKC

I'm with COX and have Gigablast Internet service. My computer auto speed tests 4 times a day. I'm averaging 480 Mbps down and 36.9 Mbps up. That's not as fast as I was getting prior to the lockdown, but it's fast enough I see no issues.

The wife and I now both work from home and our house has tons of connected devices.

The one issue we did have to take charge of was bandwidth usage, so we don't incur overage charges. Being home all day with multiple connected devices made our usage go us to 5% per day (which would mean approx. 50% overage in a month). I really like the COX wifi app. It lets you know your bandwidth usage for the last 24-hours, so you can see how close you are closing in on your cap. You can also identify each device and see how active it is. I didn't realize how much real and 'ghost' bandwidth we use during times we weren't actually using the device.

Because of this I put devices into groups and I control those groups of devices manually. Example: I manually set my Sonos speakers, Playstation, xbox, tablets and apple TV's to "off" within the app so they cannot connect to the internet unless we manually give them access. We do the same with the cloud based interior security cameras, since they are recording non-stop since we are home moving around constantly. This dropped our usage considerably - we are back to about 2% usage per day. If you are on COX and don't have or utilize the app, you might give it a look.

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    I'm with COX and have Gigablast Internet service. My computer auto speed tests 4 times a day. I'm averaging 480 Mbps down and 36.9 Mbps up. That's not as fast as I was getting prior to the lockdown, but it's fast enough I see no issues.

The wife and I now both work from home and our house has tons of connected devices.

The one issue we did have to take charge of was bandwidth usage, so we don't incur overage charges. Being home all day with multiple connected devices made our usage go us to 5% per day (which would mean approx. 50% overage in a month). I really like the COX wifi app. It lets you know your bandwidth usage for the last 24-hours, so you can see how close you are closing in on your cap. You can also identify each device and see how active it is. I didn't realize how much real and 'ghost' bandwidth we use during times we weren't actually using the device.

Because of this I put devices into groups and I control those groups of devices manually. Example: I manually set my Sonos speakers, Playstation, xbox, tablets and apple TV's to "off" within the app so they cannot connect to the internet unless we manually give them access. We do the same with the cloud based interior security cameras, since they are recording non-stop since we are home moving around constantly. This dropped our usage considerably - we are back to about 2% usage per day. If you are on COX and don't have or utilize the app, you might give it a look.
    I just subscribed to Cox Gigablast, they had a promotion for 69.99/month including unlimited data and the wifi router/modem for 2 year guaranteed pricing. I couldn't resist.

I also like the wifi app. My only complaint is I can't set up a guest network. Also, I can't figure out how to make bridge mode work so I could use a better wifi router, but I've been pretty pleased so far.

I'm with COX and have Gigablast Internet service.....

....The one issue we did have to take charge of was bandwidth usage, so we don't incur overage charges.
    Many internet companies nationwide are waiving bandwidth limits during this time due to the increased usage of people working from home and increased amounts of streaming. You may want to double check with COX, but we were capped with 1TB on ATT Home Internet and I've noticed it now says unlimited. Guessing this will go back to 1TB sometime this summer?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...ts/5036821002/

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...-overage-fees/

14. Default Re: Streaming tv services in OKC

Quote Originally Posted by scottk View Post
    Many internet companies nationwide are waiving bandwidth limits during this time due to the increased usage of people working from home and increased amounts of streaming. You may want to double check with COX, but we were capped with 1TB on ATT Home Internet and I've noticed it now says unlimited. Guessing this will go back to 1TB sometime this summer?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...ts/5036821002/

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...-overage-fees/
    I had heard something about that. I just figure it's better all around if people try and conserve bandwidth as much as possible.

15. Default Re: Streaming tv services in OKC

Quote Originally Posted by barrettd View Post
    I just subscribed to Cox Gigablast, they had a promotion for 69.99/month including unlimited data and the wifi router/modem for 2 year guaranteed pricing. I couldn't resist.

I also like the wifi app. My only complaint is I can't set up a guest network. Also, I can't figure out how to make bridge mode work so I could use a better wifi router, but I've been pretty pleased so far.
    Were you already a subscriber and are you just internet and no TV? I am at the point to negotiate a new rate but since I have no other options but Cox they never really give me a good deal.

16. Default Re: Streaming tv services in OKC

Were you already a subscriber and are you just internet and no TV? I am at the point to negotiate a new rate but since I have no other options but Cox they never really give me a good deal.
    I called, since I just recently subscribed and was told there was no $69.99 offer for Gigablast that didn't include a bundle with other services (which I refuse to do). I have no idea if Barrettd has a bundle or not and I don't necessarily trust COX when they tell me there is not a matching special. Just letting you know my experience.

I called, since I just recently subscribed and was told there was no $69.99 offer for Gigablast that didn't include a bundle with other services (which I refuse to do). I have no idea if Barrettd has a bundle or not and I don't necessarily trust COX when they tell me there is not a matching special. Just letting you know my experience.
    Cox is waiving all data caps through May 15th. That's a curious way to do it, because my monthly billing period expires on the 20th. So that means I have no risk of surcharges for going over in April, supposedly, but what if I go over in May? It creates the illusion that Cox is giving everyone a two-month grace period, when in reality (for at least some) it is possibly only one.

Cox also states that they are suspending sales of their unlimited data plans for now. If you already purchased/paid for one, you'll get a credit.

When I recently dropped TV from Cox, and went data-only, they didn't make ANY good offers to me, and I've been a customer for nearly 30 years.

As far as bandwidth management goes, even with a cap waiver, I"m not wanting to get in the habit of blowing past the 1TB plan. Even though YouTubeTV carries most locals, I spent $30 on a really nice attic antenna for OTB broadcasts, and I just fed it onto all the old hardwired cable outlets throughout the house. I pick up all the local stations, and thus see no real point in watching them through YTTV via a stream that counts against my data. And doing that pointed out to me just how little I watch the national cable networks; watch some local news, a couple of syndicated shows, and beyond that I like some YouTube channels. I've knocked down the quality to 720p, because frankly very little content *truly* merits much higher - and I can always switch back if I need.

I've also heard anecdotal stories that Cox and other ISP's are making informal/unofficial arrangements with educators to bump up their service speed at no charge during the current circumstances. I have not confirmed that myself.

18. Default Re: Streaming tv services in OKC

Which is probably a good indicator of how much money they make off Internet service and how additional speed if just a way to get you to pay more when it doesn't cost them much additional to provide it.

I was on AT&T Fiber. Long story short, I was on Cox 300MB service when Gig came out, they had a promotion on Gig for new customers, refused to give me the offer, I switched to AT&T Fiber.

Now I'm on an internet only plan with Cox. Just got my first bill, $69.99. Unlimited data and free modem for 2 years, no contract. Using YouTube TV for, well, TV.

Which is probably a good indicator of how much money they make off Internet service and how additional speed if just a way to get you to pay more when it doesn't cost them much additional to provide it.
    I think that's always been the case. They were losing TV subscribers to streaming services, so tried to make it up by capping data and charging for overages or data plan add-ons. At least, that's how it seems to me.

21. Default Re: Streaming tv services in OKC

I was on AT&T Fiber. Long story short, I was on Cox 300MB service when Gig came out, they had a promotion on Gig for new customers, refused to give me the offer, I switched to AT&T Fiber.

Now I'm on an internet only plan with Cox. Just got my first bill, $69.99. Unlimited data and free modem for 2 years, no contract. Using YouTube TV for, well, TV.
    Ahh got ya. Ya we have no other options to switch to. Thanks!

Bummer, FSN regional networks leaving YouTube TV on Thursday. Guess I'll have to switch to something else when NBA season rolls around again.

Quote Originally Posted by kswright29 View Post
    Bummer, FSN regional networks leaving YouTube TV on Thursday. Guess I'll have to switch to something else when NBA season rolls around again.

Yeah, especially bad considering their very recent 30% price increase.

Quote Originally Posted by kswright29 View Post
    Is this different from all the usual negotiations which eventually get worked out? I just assumed they'd take if off the app as a means of leverage to get a deal negotiated.

Is this different from all the usual negotiations which eventually get worked out? I just assumed they'd take if off the app as a means of leverage to get a deal negotiated.
    Has anyone heard anything new on Fox regionals and YouTube TV? ...or other streaming services?

Thread Information