Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Streaming tv services in OKC

Default Re: Streaming tv services in OKC

I have the firestick. This is the Directv Now app that mimics cable. It has a good line up of channels, except NBC. I watch it and Amazon Prime Video more than Netflix or Hulu.
    I spend less than with cable and have OKC news (again, albeit for KFOR). If you have cable in SW OK, you get the Wichita Falls affiliates and Lawton's KSWO instead of OKC.

DirecTV Now announced a price hike, the lowest package will now begin at $50 month and many of the current channels have been removed under the new package lineups. For current subscribers, they can keep the current channel lineup, but will still see the jump of $10 starting after April 12. Part of the new package is including HBO.

Out of the streaming OTT options, DirecTV Now at one time had one of the best "top" channel lineups and offered a smooth cable-like 60 frames per second on all of their channels.

With paying for a decent internet package and data caps closing in on a quality 1080/60p stream, $50 a month with DirecTV Now and another $20 for Prime Video and Netflix...Cord Cutting doesn't seem to make as much sense as it did a year ago.

I canceled cable when I was bundling services and paying around $140 a month. A few years later, right back to paying $140 a month.

I got rid of cable all together about a month ago. Currently I went with YouTubeTV based on the channels and the unlimited DVR cabability. The direct tv streaming service and Hulu both seemed good options as well, but for what we want YTTV was best, and it has live local news on all major networks except NBC (so what that means is it has all NBC shows, just not the local news on NBC, which is fine). It is 40.00 a month and you can cancel anytime. HULU live tv is going up to 45.00 I believe. I am trying the free trial for a month of the very basic HULU option that will allow you to watch shows a day after they air, but this option doesn't have some of my favorites available...but it does have some classics. They all have free trial periods which is nice so you can see what is best suited for you, but all of them are cheaper than cable!! I kept my internet through ATT. YTTV didn't have History channel and Motor Trend which my husband likes so we got the apps so he can watch whatever...of course nothing is free so a "subscription" to those is 50.00 per year which is still much cheaper than my 220.00 cable bill that I got rid of. So far, about a month later I am definitely happy I switched over and cut the cord. You have nothing to loose as they all offer free trial periods.

That is for the Hulu movie/tv library. It’s completely different from Hulu Live TV that offers many of the same channels found on cable.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Blue Sky View Post
    That is for the Hulu movie/tv library. It’s completely different from Hulu Live TV that offers many of the same channels found on cable.
    I know? It is still a streaming tv service.

In my household, our TV needs are pretty simple. When I cut the cord, it was actually a downsizing; I had Cox's Advanced TV Preferred in a triple-play bundle with basic phone service and 150Mbps internet, and we were paying over $230 a month. I switched to gigabit AT&T Fiber ($90/mo) and Sling Blue with Cloud DVR ($30/mo) running on a Roku, supplemented with an attic antenna and a TiVo. We still get almost all of the channels we want to watch, and the picture quality of Sling looks better (to my eyes) than Cox did. I am also finding OTA channels to be quite acceptable content-wise... I'm enjoying watching the re-runs of Andromeda, Stargate SG-1, and Babylon 5 on Comet. I worried a lot about cordcutting, but in the end I couldn't be happier with the content mix I have access to now.

Blog Entries

What is the best way to get all the Thunder games if you cut the cord?

Another great free streaming service I'd recommend is Pluto TV. It's like free OTA channels but streaming. Lots of good content.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    Another great free streaming service I'd recommend is Pluto TV. It's like free OTA channels but streaming. Lots of good content.
    As of 10 days ago they are a Viacom company. Some things good about that, some not so good. Lots of commercials, but it brings lots of free content into the OTT space.

Quote Originally Posted by okatty View Post
    What is the best way to get all the Thunder games if you cut the cord?
    Sling Orange with the Sports Extra package and an OTA antenna would probably be your best bang for the buck option. NBA games this season are on ABC, ESPN, ESPN2, TNT, and NBA TV. Sling Orange + Sports Extra costs $30/mo and gets you ESPN, ESPN2, TNT, and NBA TV (plus 50-ish other channels), but then you'll need an OTA antenna to get ABC. If you don't care about NBA TV, you can drop the Sports Extra package and save $5 - but you would miss any game only broadcast on NBA TV. If you don't have an OTA antenna, YouTube TV and PS Vue's Core bundle both stream KOCO 5 (ABC) live, as well as ESPN, ESPN2, TNT, and NBA TV. If you don't care about NBA TV, Hulu + Live TV and DirecTV Now's Plus bundle also stream KOCO 5 (ABC), ESPN, ESPN2, and TNT, just wi. All four of those options come at a significant premium vs Sling Orange (with or without Sports Extra), but all four also offer more channels than Sling Orange, so depending on what channels you're really interested in watching, you may need a higher priced package to get everything you want. I'd recommend using a service such as Untangle.TV or Suppose to help you select a streaming provider based on the channels and shows you're most interested in.

Here's the results from Suppose that I used to help write this post: https://www.suppose.tv/tv?m=41&f=1l4...l1&r=ByW6ZPdvV

Blog Entries

^Thanks for the info! If the Fox Sports SW channel is somehow available that would really do the trick. Appreciate it!

I'll just throw this out here ... If you are just the opposite of needing the sports fix, there are incredible deals for that person.
    If you're okay with sports only on local OTA (including sub-channels which would include Stadium).. look at these two:

Philo TV for $16 or $20 per month
    AND (as in "in addition to")
    AT&T WatchTV
    $15

Total: $31 (if you don't need anything in the Philo $20 package)

Yes, quite a bit of overlap, but WatchTV also includes CNN (which is the only news content on both services combined), TCM, TNT and other TimeWarner content that's not on Philo.

Remember, TimeWarner is owned by AT&T. If you believe the conspiracy theorists (and I'm starting to), AT&T is actively tanking their DirectTV Now service with plans to offer only WatchTV, where they can load up with their own content, and purchase more selective content and sell on a quantity model, keeping it at $15 or even $20 with a sports channel or two. Because of all the content they now own, they could price everybody else out - especially their rival - the DISH-owned SlingTV. Yes, problems with monopolies. But, it's a hard deal to beat with the two.

Here's a comparison of the two...

Philo

AT&T WatchTV

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	YUNyIzv.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	19.1 KB 
ID:	15197  

^Thanks for the info! If the Fox Sports SW channel is somehow available that would really do the trick. Appreciate it!

If you're a relatively tech savvy person, I may have another service thats significantly cheaper than what was listed. PM me if you are.

I have Sling Blue and a OTA antenna and have watched every Thunder game on Fox Sports Oklahoma, TNT or ABC.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dan L View Post
    I have Sling Blue and a OTA antenna and have watched every Thunder game on Fox Sports Oklahoma, TNT or ABC.
    OK, great. Thanks Dan!

Playstation Vue is probably the best option is your biggest interest is sports.

Not sure if its the "best" way, but Sling Blue packages gives access to Fox Sports Oklahoma. It's $25 a month.

Blog Entries

^Probably should get Sling just to pay homage to those “slinging” commercials.

Okay, this is lengthy bear with me -- after mulling it over for a while, about five years ago we cut the cable pig and bought all the streaming things and antenna. It was SO GREAT I felt liberated. We paid $45 for the Sling which included sports so we could watch our local sports including the Thunder and OU. Then we paid Netflix whol kept increasing in price, but was about $12/month. Our high speed internet cost us in the neighborhood of $45 -- we had a lower tier but everything buffered when several of us were watching different TVs and streaming while any of us were on our phones or tablets, etc. so we had to upgrade to a mid-tier internet. I even had Hulu so I could watch my local TV shows on demand, which was like $5.99/month. Hulu wasn't a catch all because they only had a couple of my favorite shows -- they don't have ALL shows, be aware. You can watch on demand these shows, but now the networks (ABC, CBS, etc) are charging monthly access! But still, I loved that I was saving a bunch of money. After doing this for about five years, I realized that I was paying at about $110/month for all this total -- the payments were all different times during the month so it didn't seem like I was paying that much. Anyway, in my continuous quest to save money, I found a Direct TV package that I like that I'm paying $52/month and I get all my local channels and my sports package. I'm able to lower my internet speed since we are not streaming through our Roku boxes anymore so my internet is approx $40. I ended up dropping Netflix, however have since picked it back up only because my cellphone company pays for it. Anyway, I'm paying less than what I was AND I don't have multiple remotes -- I don't have to hear my wife complain about having to navigate through Kingdom Come to find what she wants to watch. I think it's a win. Cable and sat companies are catching on and lowering their prices for consumers. That's what I've found anyway. I think it's all a wash give or take a few bucks when you add it ALL together -- your internet and streaming avenues. That, and I'm back to one remote control to control everything and I have a whole home DVR. So after a five year hiatus we are back with satellite and we couldn't be happier.

When, exactly, did you switch to satellite? Because I suspect when your promotional offer has expired, you're going to disagree with yourself. Cable and sat companies are most certainly NOT lowering their prices. AT&T hasn't been in the news for the last week for lowering their price for the second time in a period of a few months.

In fact, if I look on DirecTV's web site, your bill will more than double, depending what package you are on. I'm going to assume at $52 with local and sports you're on the $35 plan? If this is correct, you really need to check the fine print. That's a 24-month agreement, and goes to $81 in months 12-24. If you're on the $40/month plan, that goes to $93. The $45/month plan goes to $110.

All their other plans are the exact same, more than double the second year of your two-year agreement. You might think you can call and haggle, but you can't, you are under an agreement.

My advice? Don't throw away the scissors.

I think we are just changing the name of what we are doing: the same few companies own the pipeline and most of the valves to open the flow. AT&T owns the copper phone line, fiber-optic line, satellite television service, and the wireless phone system. They own the content distributor Time-Warner (or whatever it's called now) and the creation companies (Turner, Warner, etc.). They are one example. They only people really cutting the cord are ones who go over the air only. The rest of us are discussing how we buy content for our devices through almost seamlessly interchangeable means.

I have Playstation Vue, but Thunder games on FS Oklahoma stream terribly. I don't know why, but it is extremely laggy and stops every few minutes. And I have gigabyte internet from AT&T. None of the other sports channels freeze like that. I may have to try YouTube TV or go back to cable.

Quote Originally Posted by okccowan View Post
    I have Playstation Vue, but Thunder games on FS Oklahoma stream terribly. I don't know why, but it is extremely laggy and stops every few minutes. And I have gigabyte internet from AT&T. None of the other sports channels freeze like that. I may have to try YouTube TV or go back to cable.
    that's strange. i have a friend who has playstation vue, and we watch at his house regularly for thunder games and never an issue. i think he has cox internet. so that's the only real difference

Can someone with YouTube TV tell me if they get Fox Sports-OK? (ie, most Thunder games?)

Their line up says FS-SW, but I think that means FS-OK (if you stream from OK).

Thread Information