Widgets Magazine

Thread: Campus Corner Proposal

HangryHippo Guest

Norman Campus Corner Proposal

I was reading this Norman Transcript article and it led me to Patrick Schrank's Facebook page on Norman Development where I found this new proposal for Campus Corner from Marty Coltrane. These pictures are from the McKinney Partnership Architects.

Here is Schrank's description of the project:
    Local developer and real estate broker Marty Coltrane has purposed a massive 5 story mix-use retail and multi-family development for Campus Corner.

The site encompasses 3 parcels of land owned by Coltrane just north of the intersection of White St. and Asp Ave. Two of the parcels have residential homes are are zoned multi-family. One of the parcels is a parking lot that is zone commercial.

Plans drawn by the McKinney Partnership Architects show the development’s ground floor will feature 3 retail spaces fronting Asp Ave. and a lobby area for the apartments along with 59 covered parking spaces accessed through the alleyway. There will be 7 addition parallel parking spaces added on Asp Ave. No tenants for the retail spaces have been announced.
    The upper levels will house 1, 2 and 3 bedroom apartments arranged in a "U" shape. There will be 23 1 bedroom units, 22 2 bedroom units and 4 3 bedroom units for a total of 49 units with 79 beds.

Amenities for the complex include a second floor pool, outdoor lounge and yard space. There will also be a gym area that overlooks the pool. All units on floors 3-5 will have balconies. Floor 5 will also have a lounge area for residents. Atop the structure, there are two purposed roof-top decks.

Renderings:
    27024005_835038446698797_7669319816547807096_o.jpg
    27021582_835038543365454_2622451242544325234_o.jpg
    27021469_835038506698791_4217253496638856351_o.jpg
    26962397_835038526698789_1386718072925721302_o.jpg
    27021773_835040570031918_6341013255080369033_o.jpg
    26992071_835040796698562_3518626727860774018_n.jpg
    22050292_835040933365215_6316397983277278431_n.jpg

Default Re: Campus Corner Proposal

Looks awesome, is this on the east or west side of Asp?

HangryHippo Guest

It's on the east side of Asp - I think it's 715 Asp Ave, the two houses and the parking lot just north of the Baked Bear.

4. Default Re: Campus Corner Proposal

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    It's on the east side of Asp - I think it's 715 Asp Ave, the two houses and the parking lot just north of the Baked Bear.
    Reading through the Facebook comments I am amazed how many people are against projects like this. Its exciting to watch Campus Corner get more dense and provide more offerings.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ChargerAg View Post
    Reading through the Facebook comments I am amazed how many people are against projects like this. Its exciting to watch Campus Corner get more dense and provide more offerings.
    That surprised me too. I love this project and think it will be a great addition to Campus Corner!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    That makes sense. I've always thought Asp needed more density north of White, glad to see this finally proposed. Hopefully something similar happens at 710 Asp, that would be a great place for creative/co-working office space for eTec.

There was another proposal for high density apartments on Asp that was floated a few years ago. Not sure of the current status. It was between Asp and Buchanan just north of eTec.

Quote Originally Posted by ChargerAg View Post
    Norman has one of the strongest anti-development crowds in the state. They don't want *anything* with density and will fight it to the death. It'll be interesting to see how this moves forward or if it's killed off.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    That makes sense. I've always thought Asp needed more density north of White, glad to see this finally proposed. Hopefully something similar happens at 710 Asp, that would be a great place for creative/co-working office space for eTec.

There was another proposal for high density apartments on Asp that was floated a few years ago. Not sure of the current status. It was between Asp and Buchanan just north of eTec.
    I haven't been able to find anything about 710 Asp, but I agree it would be a great spot for something bigger. I'd also like to see more high-density along Asp/Webster and University up to Main St. Would be nice to have Campus Corner and Main St. feel more connected via more contiguous development.
    Quote Originally Posted by king183 View Post
    Norman has one of the strongest anti-development crowds in the state. They don't want *anything* with density and will fight it to the death. It'll be interesting to see how this moves forward or if it's killed off.
    I wouldn't be at all surprised to see it killed off, but that would suck. It's a great proposal.

9. Default Re: Campus Corner Proposal

Long overdue. .... L o n g ! ! !
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

10. Default Re: Campus Corner Proposal

LONG OVERDUE. .... L O N G OVERDUE! ! !

Most big universities already have several of these. .....
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    LONG OVERDUE. .... L O N G OVERDUE! ! !

Most big universities already have several of these. .....
    You are correct. There are a couple/several of these on the fringes of the campus at KU in Lawrence. Recent developments.

12. Default Re: Campus Corner Proposal

I know I would be interested.

What is the status of this development and the 201 BOYD ST. development. A quick Google search shows that 201 BOYD ST. is currently for sale. Did these developments die?

HangryHippo Guest

I spoke with someone that was pretty sure the NIMBYs were successful in killing this.

Kinda figured that was the case since so much time has passed without any word. Norman needs new leadership who won't give so much power to the NIMBYs. There has been a few good projects, but it is hardly enough. Oh well. Good stuff in store for the future anyways!

Thread Information