Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Central Exchange

Auto Alley Central Exchange

A mixed use renovation is planned for the old Southwestern Bell / Pioneer Telephone buildings at 7 and 11 NE 6th in Automobile Alley.

2. Default Re: Central Exchange

Fantastic! I've had my eye on those buildings in particular since before my Automobile Alley days, so more than 20 years. So excited to see something great done there. I've only been inside of there one time, which was to get volunteer credentials issued by the FBI during the Murrah relief effort.

Default Re: Central Exchange

I agree... These buildings have been on my radar for a long time.

AHMM does such great work and I believe they already have some tenants ready to go.

Should be super cool.

LOL. Oklahoma City is so schizophrenic, it makes me chuckle. I spent a few minutes this morning gnashing my teeth in the Producers Coop thread because I strongly fear it is headed for disaster. Then this news breaks and I am very impressed. Love seeing these old buildings repurposed - this is what an urban area should be. Kudos!

PLEASE let this be the spark for more development in this amazingly-high potential area between DD and AA that has been a wasteland of nothingness.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    PLEASE let this be the spark for more development in this amazingly-high potential area between DD and AA that has been a wasteland of nothingness.
    There are already condos planned for immediately north of here and lots of other things in the works.

The more downtown work for AHMM, the better.

Quote Originally Posted by stjohn View Post
    The more downtown work for AHMM, the better.
    They are so good.

They basically get everything they pitch, and they only pitch the work they really want.

Much more coming from them and they are now actually moving some architects from London to OKC.

Pete, what is the connection they have with OKC? OKC is lucky to have them as they aren’t in a lot of cities in the states.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Pete, what is the connection they have with OKC? OKC is lucky to have them as they aren’t in a lot of cities in the states.
    Wade Scaramucci is from OKC.

Has been living in London for a while and convinced AHMM to set up a small outpost here, which has now really blossomed.

They have plenty of big projects in London but are motivated by being to make a real impact here.

Wade flies back to OKC every month or two and handles a lot of meetings and updates through Skype. But they also have assembled a really great, talented staff.

Big, big fan of their work.

It's pretty wild looking at their website and seeing all their work (New Scotland Yard!), and then switching to the International projects page and seeing OKC, OKC, OKC, University of Amsterdam, OKC, etc.

Brewery accommodation?

This is gonna be so cool!

Quote Originally Posted by stlokc View Post
    Oklahoma City is so schizophrenic, it makes me chuckle. I spent a few minutes this morning gnashing my teeth in the Producers Coop thread because I strongly fear it is headed for disaster. Then this news breaks and I am very impressed.
    Okay, quick, unnecessary tangent. Why is the mis-use of "schizophrenic" so widespread? Everyone uses it, but (paranoid) schizophrenia would suggest in this case that OKC is experiencing auditory hallucinations (hearing voices) and paranoid delusions (believing everyone is out to cause the sufferer harm). What everyone means by the term is actually dissociative identity disorder (formerly called multiple personality disorder). So, in this case it would make sense to say:

Oklahoma City has multiple personalities, it makes me chuckle. I spent a few minutes this morning gnashing my teeth in the Producers Coop thread because I strongly fear it is headed for disaster. Then this news breaks and I am very impressed.
    I've always wondered how this misusage became so widespread... or maybe I just missed something. Lol. And, not calling you out at all stlokc as this usage is widespread and common. I've always wondered about it.

And, yes, I agree with everyone that is a fantastic firm and project.

Dankrutka-
    You obviously gave this more thought than I did. You’re right; I was moving quickly and was inartful in my wordsmithing. Schizophrenia is a serious condition and I shouldn’t be throwing the word around. What I meant was that OKC seems to take a step forward and then a step back. Not the same thing at all.

Quote Originally Posted by stlokc View Post
    Dankrutka-
    You obviously gave this more thought than I did. You’re right; I was moving quickly and was inartful in my wordsmithing. Schizophrenia is a serious condition and I shouldn’t be throwing the word around. What I meant was that OKC seems to take a step forward and then a step back. Not the same thing at all.
    While I agree that schizophrenia is a serious topic that's ignored in our society (especially relating to homelessness), my point was not at all to call you out. The way you used 'schizophrenic' is used commonly. I am just more curious as to why 'schizophrenic' came to be used instead of the accuarate term 'mulitple personalities.' Absolutely no need to apologize. And sorry for being off topic, but I've just always been curious about it.

Quote Originally Posted by BridgeBurner View Post
    Brewery accommodation?
    That will make what 3 breweries along/near AA? With the streetcar and new convention center coming OKC will leave a good impression on convention visitors. Checking out a cities local brew scene is a big hobby for many people, add in easy public transit and this is another big W for okc.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    The way you used 'schizophrenic' is used commonly. I am just more curious as to why 'schizophrenic' came to be used instead of the accuarate term 'mulitple personalities.'
    Moron, idiots, and imbeciles hear words they don't understand and then use them improperly. Other people hear the word used improperly and pick up on it, and so on. For example, the first three words of this reply all used to have actual clinical definitions, now they all mean the same thing. My mother (not that I am saying she was a moron, idiot, or imbecile) did this all the time. The word 'ignorant' has gradually come to be used more and more to refer to a stupid person (as did the three words). It means, of course, a lack of knowledge. My mother, however, did not know that (insert observation of irony here) and used to say things like "that commercial is so ignorant". I always wondered exactly what knowledge she thought the commercial lacked.

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    That will make what 3 breweries along/near AA? With the streetcar and new convention center coming OKC will leave a good impression on convention visitors. Checking out a cities local brew scene is a big hobby for many people, add in easy public transit and this is another big W for okc.
    I am definitely among those many people haha. It will be interesting to see what, measures are taken to increase walk-ability and safety along the railroad tracks as that area as it continues to develop. It looks like the train quiet-zone has had a huge impact drawing in business- it would be really nice to have some railed and lit sidewalks or pathways along the tracks to allow ease of access to Prairie and Twisted Spike from the rest of automobile alley but I have no idea what the safety ordinances are in regards to how far away they need to be.

My main area is social studies education and this is one of my favorite articles because it focuses on democratic citizenship and idiocy: http://faculty.washington.edu/rsoder...rkeridiocy.pdf I love etymology and thinking about the meaning of words. I actually have a book coming out that I edited that examines how we use words in social studies. Anyway, sorry again for the diversion. I promise this is my last post off topic in this thread! Lol

I am definitely among those many people haha. It will be interesting to see what, measures are taken to increase walk-ability and safety along the railroad tracks as that area as it continues to develop. It looks like the train quiet-zone has had a huge impact drawing in business- it would be really nice to have some railed and lit sidewalks or pathways along the tracks to allow ease of access to Prairie and Twisted Spike from the rest of automobile alley but I have no idea what the safety ordinances are in regards to how far away they need to be.
    I’m sure over time it will get taken care of, just maybe not away. (There’s a bunch of stuff going on all over the place)

I’m just trying to think how I’d view it if I was from out of town, had never been to okc, and was sent for a conference. I think I would really enjoy the streetcar AA access to breweries, bars, shops, and restaurants. I hate renting a car when traveling. Prefer to walk, public transport, then Uber.

I would leave with a pretty positive impression of okc.

I don't see that happening. The close proximity of pedestrians to active railroads never turns out well. People will throw things onto the tracks causing hazards for the trains. If a fence is put in, they will throw stuff over the top. No fence means they will wander onto the tracks oblivious to traffic (just like they do in streets). Trains can't stop on a dime. Maybe there is a solution, but I don't see one.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    That's the curiosity nature of the tourist; let's give free tokens for the streetcar to conventioneers once the streetcar is on track.

These old buildings are the significant fiber our city especially when we can re-purpose them. Imagine the old Biltmore as a mixed-use 350 room hotel with 100 condo units atop.

Council OKs $300,000 for Pioneer Switch project

By: Brian Brus The Journal Record March 13, 2018

OKLAHOMA CITY – Tribune Capital developer Brett Bone convinced the City Council Tuesday to allocate $300,000 for assistance in development financing of the Central Exchange project in downtown.

The Pioneer Switch House buildings, 11 NE Sixth St., will serve the goal of the tax increment finance district when it was first established in 2000. Bone is planning 15,000 square feet of retail space, 26,000 for offices and 5,000 for outdoor patio, which will set the tone and kick-start more development in surrounding lots, he said. The project will also introduce steel entry canopy between the two buildings.

The TIF commitment is needed because the sidewalks around the Pioneer Switch House site, which is near a major highway exit, are crumbling and lack safety rails. Improved walkability would help connect multifamily developments to the restaurant and retail, he said.

The buildings are more than 100 years old and listed on the National Register of Historic Places because they were important to the early stages of the telecommunications industry in Oklahoma, Bone said. That makes them eligible for government tax credits.

Bone said in February that his company was already in negotiations with several potential leasers, including a brewery.

As for financing, Bone said he’s arranged $7.56 million in debt and $3.65 million in private equity. Acquiring the property consumed about $2.48 million of that pool; hard costs and architect fees will take another $8.13 million. Lingo Construction is the contractor on the project.

TIFs are the municipality’s way of borrowing from projected growth within a bounded area. A TIF locks in current real estate values as a baseline for tax revenue collected normally and dedicates any additional revenue above that level to pay off improvement costs. The financial structure expresses the idea that new development would not have occurred but for infrastructure investment.

Blog Entries

This and the new hotel announced this week just across the street and rr tracks should impact the area greatly. Good synergy.

Thread Information