Widgets Magazine

Thread: AutoZone

Large Chain AutoZone

AutoZone to open first OK mega hub in South OKC

As a part of a nationwide strategy to quickly and efficient deliver a large inventory of auto parts within a short period of time, AutoZone has filed plans to build a 'Mega Hub' location in south Oklahoma City.

The nation's leading retailer of automotive replacement parts and accessories has been expanding rapidly and deploying large hubs all of the country to supplement and supply its 5,000+ stores.

At present, there are approximately 20 AutoZone Mega Hubs in the U.S.; this will be the first in the state of Oklahoma.

An AutoZone hub consists of a typical 6,000 to 8,000 square foot retail location in the front, but one that is operated 24-hours, 7 days a week.

In the case of the Oklahoma City hub, the company will take a portion of the old Target space at SW 44th and S. Western, and the remainder of the more than 43,000 square feet of leased space will essentially be a warehouse for stocking parts and supplying other regional stores and customers – both retail and commercial – in a expedient, direct manner.

The Memphis-based company employs more than 80,000 workers and in addition to warehouse employees at a hub, they also deploy a fleet of more than a dozen drivers in company vans, making runs to other stores and to clients.

Mega Hubs are also used by AutoZone to build its commercial client base.

Building permits show the intention to convert 42,925 square feet of the former Target, which was just under 116,000 square feet when it closed in August of 2016.

Westlake Hardware continues to operate to the direct east of the old Target.

Work on the new AutoZone facility should start soon and the company typically runs ads for retail, warehouse employees and drivers after work is underway.

Currently, there are 16 AutoZone locations in the Oklahoma City area.

Calls to the AutoZone headquarters have not been returned.

2. Default Re: AutoZone

Very cool. I dont know how much it will be used, but having a 24/7 parts store can be dang awesome when you're stuck on a Sunday and need something. Or your hours dont align with retail hours.

Glad to see more working out for the old Target space (as we can see in the site plan there )

Default Re: AutoZone

And just as important, they should have what you need on site.

As everyone knows, when you need a part you almost always need it immediately.

They are a very smart company and are growing rapidly.

That is great news. I figured this would be closer to a highway though. I guess 2 miles away isn't that bad.

Looks like my guess in the other thread was correct. Local distribution center.

The old Fred Jones Ford used to have a Sat and Sun parts dept. Great when you where working on your Ford on the weekend the the parts stores said it was a dealer only part. Well maybe this is not the same but at least when you are working on your vehicle to get it running by the morning its an option.

^^^ This post is left wide open for the GM and Mopar guys on here .

8. Default Re: AutoZone

The one on 5733 S Western is 24/7, will that remain?

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    Very cool. I dont know how much it will be used, but having a 24/7 parts store can be dang awesome when you're stuck on a Sunday and need something. Or your hours dont align with retail hours.

Glad to see more working out for the old Target space (as we can see in the site plan there )

Maybe it isn't the case any more, but the Autozone retail location near SW 59th and like Western has been 24 hrs for many years now. They are often the only metro store open on holidays as well.

Quote Originally Posted by tfvc.org View Post
    The one on 5733 S Western is 24/7, will that remain?
    My best guess says the existing 24/7 store will close when the new one opens. I might end up being surprised, but I doubt they'd want to keep the lights on at both the old and new stores with them being so close together.

This project is moving along:

AutoZone has filed a building permit application for a new 6,500 SF location on the NE corner of SW 59th and May.

Currently a vacant lot.

New AutoZone coming to 2827 N. May, which is right across the street from NW Classen HS and just north of Taft Stadium.

Will replace this car lot:

HangryHippo Guest

Are these things really in this high demand?

They are in a big expansion phase and of course will now have a big hub at SW 44th & Western.

Blog Entries

is this instead of the one they were going to do in the vicinity of 63/May or in addition?

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    is this instead of the one they were going to do in the vicinity of 63/May or in addition?
    There's already an AutoZone at May & NW 63rd, unless it's closed down and I didn't realize it.

Blog Entries

Correct, sorry, there was talk of that location moving to a building owned by Auto zone. So I guess that's my real question, is that location moving or will this be an additional location.

This new hub location at SW 44th & Western is almost open. Sign in the window says 'coming soon'.

The hug at SW 4th & Western is now open.

Looks like they are building one about NW 27th and May Avenue, across from NW Classen. Where the Fretwell's Volvo showroom was (for those who are old enough to remember).

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    Looks like they are building one about NW 27th and May Avenue, across from NW Classen. Where the Fretwell's Volvo showroom was (for those who are old enough to remember).
    Yes, that's correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    Now open!

Thread Information