Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: General Weather Discussion - February and March 2018

Default Re: General Weather Discussion - February and March 2018

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    Well luckily I'll be driving to work at 5:20am...
    Or unlucky if info is correct. Heard a while ago that system could move in and slow to a crawl and sit right over central okc and take a pretty good dump on us.

Feels like the last snow day for the year! Very thankful we didn't get one of those stress-inducing, power-outage ice storms!

Heavy freezing rain will move into C OK in the next 2 hours. Temperatures are already near 30. Elevated objects will be subject to accumulation, but temperatures will get above freezing this afternoon and everything will just be wet.

Temp sitting at 31 degrees, struggling to make that push above the freezing line for the past hour or so.

5. Default Re: General Weather Discussion - February and March 2018

Main Street was a skating rink this morning but the rain has pretty much melted it all.

6. Default Re: General Weather Discussion - February and March 2018

Anyone heard if the burn ban has been lifted? I have some burning I need to do on the farmstead this weekend.

I hope we go to the lower 90s next week. I can't stand storm season, I would rather see half the state burn than have to face the thought of tornadoes. All this OK weather makes me so stressed out. I got spoiled living in Southern California LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Bits_Of_Real_Panther View Post
    Feels like the last snow day for the year! Very thankful we didn't get one of those stress-inducing, power-outage ice storms!
    You know, I've really come to enjoy winter weather (cold temperatures, moderate ice storms, and snow) over the past couple of years. I think mainly because it seems like we get less-and-less winter weather these days.

I enjoy the colder temperatures because I know that it is going to help with the bug problem in the summer.

I enjoy light/moderate ice storms because some of the most beautiful landscapes are those that have a small coating of ice.

I enjoy snow because...well...it's snow! Seems like that doesn't happen as often, and it is fun to see when we do get it.

Winter weather is a nice change of pace to our otherwise extreme weather.

Quote Originally Posted by C_M_25 View Post
    You know, I've really come to enjoy winter weather (cold temperatures, moderate ice storms, and snow) over the past couple of years. I think mainly because it seems like we get less-and-less winter weather these days.

I enjoy the colder temperatures because I know that it is going to help with the bug problem in the summer.

I enjoy light/moderate ice storms because some of the most beautiful landscapes are those that have a small coating of ice.

I enjoy snow because...well...it's snow! Seems like that doesn't happen as often, and it is fun to see when we do get it.

Winter weather is a nice change of pace to our otherwise extreme weather.
    Me too! I like the feel of this week as though we're all required to go into a few days of hibernation.

Freezing fog tonight as temperatures will hover between 30-34F.

Rain chances go up for southeastern half of the state Friday afternoon. Then better shot for rain/storms late Friday night into Saturday morning from just west of I-35 and to the east. Sunday and Monday look great.

Keeping eye on possible storm around the March 1-2 range.

Burn ban has been lifted for OKC.

Rain returns Tuesday early afternoon. Should see showers and storms develop over SW OK and expand across the state.

And depending on circumstances, we could see a chance of severe weather Wednesday afternoon.

Rain will be wrapping up here in C OK. as we head into this evening.

Chances of rain tomorrow are mainly moved to the SE 1/3 of the state around the same time in the afternoon. Highs near 70 for Wednesday and 60s through a beautiful weekend.

Insanely high fire danger the next few days. This wind is not going to let up anytime soon. Temperatures pretty stable around highs in low 60s, but the wind will make everything seem colder.

Next rain chances look very low, and not until the weekend.

Winds will gust up to 40mph this afternoon and into tonight. It will be pure misery to be outside. Fire danger is obviously critical.

woops posted in wrong thread.

Yes please.

Yup. OK's spring is @ the doorstep.

Heading into this weekend with solid 70s as highs, near 80. After that we are looking at potential for rain chances with possibly some severe weather next week.

Jonathan Conder is saying this is likely to be a very active and significant severe weather season for central Oklahoma due to the combination of the drought, La Nina, and where the dryline is likely to set up. He compared this to years like 2011 and 2013. Would you agree with that Anonymous or is it still too early to tell?

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Jonathan Conder is saying this is likely to be a very active and significant severe weather season for central Oklahoma due to the combination of the drought, La Nina, and where the dryline is likely to set up. He compared this to years like 2011 and 2013. Would you agree with that Anonymous or is it still too early to tell?
    I don't know how relevant this is but..this article is a good read regarding la nina.
    http://www.tornadotitans.com/la-nina...ahoma-numbers/

Edit: I just watched his video. Ridiculous. Somebody asked if a 1974 super outbreak scenario is likely and he said it wouldn't surprise him. Also saying things like how this year will be close to the 2013 season? Just ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Dessert Fox View Post
    I don't know how relevant this is but..this article is a good read regarding la nina.
    http://www.tornadotitans.com/la-nina...ahoma-numbers/
    I like that forecast a lot better. Of course, as the article says, one event can make or break a year so its really hard to say at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Dessert Fox View Post
    Edit: I just watched his video. Ridiculous. Somebody asked if a 1974 super outbreak scenario is likely and he said it wouldn't surprise him. Also saying things like how this year will be close to the 2013 season? Just ridiculous.
    TV meteorologists shouldn't be allowed to talk out their ass like that just to scare people. KOCO is probably the worst offender these days.

I highly doubt this season will be an active season "because of X". Honestly claiming such things is pretty weak, even if they try and coat it with loose fitting things like La Nina.

If anything, we do know that a drought leads to more drought. The fact that a huge percentage of the plains and southwest is literally burning down - means that moisture is hard to come by.

Now I am not claiming that being in a drought means you can't have big storms. (Remember the discussion we have every year about how a single storm or event impacting a large population will give the appearance of an 'active' season whereas an EF-3 tornado tearing up fields of nothing in SW OK barely makes the news.) I will place money on the most activity being south and east just like it has been trending for the past decade or more.

What is something we do know? Moisture begets moisture. Look @ this map and you will find where the moisture has been falling, and will continue to fall.

When will we hit 90 degrees+? It can't come soon enough.

Ian

I know it’s a dry area but I feel like western Oklahoma, Texas and Kansas with the epicenter in the TX/OK panhandle have been in a continual state of drought for years. For those that know how has this impacted agriculture and ranching in these areas?

Thread Information