Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Yuzo

Auto Alley Yuzo

Yuzo, a bold mix of Latin and Japanese cuisines, has signed a lease and started prep work for a new restaurant and bar at 808 N. Broadway.
    [PRBREAK][/PRBREAK]
    The historic building constructed in 1925 is owned by Chris Salyer and was formerly occupied by ADT. The space is currently being readied for substantial improvements for Yuzo.

The proprietors are also operate Piranha Killer Sushi, with six high-style and successful locations in the Dallas-Ft. Worth, San Antonio and Austin areas.

The group is moving its corporate chef, Yuzo Toyama, to Oklahoma City next month to oversee the operation. The restaurant name is a tribute to him.

In addition to all types of unique sushi, creative tapas dishes will be offered with Columbian and Brazilian influences.

Yuzo hopes to open in early 2016 and then will add an extensive rooftop in the spring. The large roof area is to be somewhat covered to provide year-round usage. Another bar will be featured and food will be served there as well.

The rooftop area will also feature a European style conversation pit.

Playing on the car theme of Auto Alley, the interior will heavily feature Formula 1 design elements and visuals.

Yozu will also place a heavy emphasis on live music and seeks to be a high-energy environment.

Several months ago OKCTalk had reported a then unnamed sushi restaurant coming to this building, and after some stops and starts, the project is now quickly moving forward.

Salyer said he is in active negotiations to lease the space directly south of Yuzo as well.

Yozu will join the proposed Cultivar Mexican Kitchen to the north. Just to the north, the newly announced Twisted Spike Brewery will join the recently opened Sidecar, Broadway 10 and the numerous other bars and restaurants along Broadway and NW 10th Street.

Default Re: Yuzo

This is going to be a big deal. Big investment, ambitious concept, big rooftop bar and sophisticated operators with a lot of success under their belts.

Will also go a long way towards bridging Deep Deuce, the CBD and the lower part of Auto Alley with the booming 10th Street scene.

Will be a very high energy place, with lots of music and heavy emphasis on the bars.

Finally making our way toward connecting the lower part of AA with the rest of what is happening to the north. I'll just be happy to see the awnings disappear.

I will definitely watch some F1 races here... Not live mostly. Only if they show them early Sunday morning. I'm not showing up to a restaurant at 5-6 am.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    This is going to be a big deal. Big investment, ambitious concept, big rooftop bar and sophisticated operators with a lot of success under their belts.

Will also go a long way towards bridging Deep Deuce, the CBD and the lower part of Auto Alley with the booming 10th Street scene.

Will be a very high energy place, with lots of music and heavy emphasis on the bars.
    Ditto

In talking with the owner / operators, they said they specifically chose OKC for the first of this new concept.

They said they still feel like the area is under-served in terms of lively, bar-oriented restaurants with progressive menus.

They will likely bring more concepts to OKC as well.

It's an interesting little wrinkle in the area restaurant and bar scene... We've seen tons of new local places and then a bunch of chains, but as of yet have not seen many of the regional players from DFW, Austin and Houston showing much interest.

Now, with this operation an Torchy's Tacos, it seems some of the more interesting operators to our south are starting to take notice that there is a lot of opportunity in OKC and certainly much less competition than in the big Texas cities.

Automobile Alley seems more grown up than the other districts. For those who have traveled more, what will this district be like when it is fully developed?

It's fun to envision AA once the streetcar starts to roll through.

I'm sure it will fill in greatly but it will also lend a certain big-city vibe.

I think Broadway through Automobile Alley has the bones to become OKC's showcase street. The entire neighborhood has the potential to be incredible especially once infill connects it to Midtown. I think the city is really starting to reach critical mass in terms of bars and restaurants. There are only a few concepts left that I can think of that OKC doesn't have that I wish it did. I think what the area really needs badly at this point is more retail and housing to really bring it to life.

10. Default Re: Yuzo

^^^^^^^
    This place will be an easy walk from The Metropolitan, which is the largest housing project currently underway downtown. You'll get that wish very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    I think Broadway through Automobile Alley has the bones to become OKC's showcase street. The entire neighborhood has the potential to be incredible especially once infill connects it to Midtown. I think the city is really starting to reach critical mass in terms of bars and restaurants. There are only a few concepts left that I can think of that OKC doesn't have that I wish it did. I think what the area really needs badly at this point is more retail and housing to really bring it to life.
    Convention attendees and travelers riding the street car up and down AA/Midtown to the bars and restaurants will really change the perception of OKC.

BTW, every developer and restaurant / business owner going in anywhere near the streetcar route specifically mention it as a big factor in their decision.

For this reason alone, the next phases should be planned as soon as possible.

BTW, every developer and restaurant / business owner going in anywhere near the streetcar route specifically mention it as a big factor in their decision.

All the way up classen ending at Whole Foods.

Where is the LIKE button?!

I should plot all the new construction announced since the streetcar route was pretty well decided.

A bit a pretty clear pattern would emerge.

It's almost like transit-oriented development is an actual thing.

Man this concept sounds amazing

I'm not sure amazing is the word, it sounds a little odd to me, but hey, I'm from the old school. I enjoy Japanese and I have enjoyed tapas in London, so I think I will like it but it is a strange combination. So, I wish them well, a little tempura and tapas on the same table, that ain't bad.
    C. T.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    I'm not sure amazing is the word, it sounds a little odd to me, but hey, I'm from the old school. I enjoy Japanese and I have enjoyed tapas in London, so I think I will like it but it is a strange combination. So, I wish them well, a little tempura and tapas on the same table, that ain't bad.
    C. T.
    Nikkei Is the Gorgeous Love Child of Peru and Japan | MUNCHIES

Thank you for that great read, Andon.

I recently had the fabulous opportunity to visit Japan. It is one place everyone who travels should visit. The food and culture are so civilized, and really beyond the realm of what you can imagine until you experience it up close.

As for this concept, this has the feel of something that is going to elevate the food scene in our city. We have good places. We have solid operators. But we really do have some voids to fill in the more experimental, sophisticated categories. This group seems to get it in a way several of our restaurants have not, and they've chosen a perfect location to launch this.

So excited for OKC's future.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Thank you for that great read, Andon.

I recently had the fabulous opportunity to visit Japan. It is one place everyone who travels should visit. The food and culture are so civilized, and really beyond the realm of what you can imagine until you experience it up close.

As for this concept, this has the feel of something that is going to elevate the food scene in our city. We have good places. We have solid operators. But we really do have some voids to fill in the more experimental, sophisticated categories. This group seems to get it in a way several of our restaurants have not, and they've chosen a perfect location to launch this.

So excited for OKC's future.
    We have had some experimental, sophisticated places that have failed (105 Degrees) so that alone isn't enough. This sounds like more of a winner.

Music to my ears! This is an exciting concept and a very easy walk from Deep Deuce as well, of course. I'm excited to see my favorite street mature.

Broadway could mature very quickly now...

Land Run is planning something big at 4th & EKG and on the old SandRidge lots. Once that happens, Deep Deuce and AA will be bridged very well and that will then all tie into the great things happening on 10th in Midtown.

old SandRidge lots
    Which lots are you referencing? I thought SD still owned those parking lots...

Quote Originally Posted by AP View Post
    Which lots are you referencing? I thought SD still owned those parking lots...
    The ones along Broadway.

I believe they are under contract to Land Run and their partners.

Thread Information