Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Xfl

Default Re: Xfl

Interesting. Sounds like the AFL never did have a chance because it was being overshadowed by the arrival of the XFL in a year. I wonder why Dundon gave them a chance if he thought the financials were terrible. I guess he was in love with the idea.

Another title for this article would be "Living out your dads dream and still failing".

Blog Entries

The XFL needs to get in more cities where the NFL doesn't have a stronghold.

Dallas – Globe Life Park: 25,000; Option 2 - Toyota Stadium (Frisco) 20,500
    Houston - TDECU Stadium: 40,000
    Los Angeles – StubHub Center: 27,000
    New York – MetLife Stadium: 82,500
    St. Louis – The Dome at America’s Center: 66,965
    Seattle – CenturyLink Field: 69,000
    Tampa Bay – Raymond James Stadium: 65,618
    Washington, DC – Audi Field: 20,000

True, New York, Los Angeles & Dallas are current NFL markets where the XFL could survive. St. Louis & San Diego are defunct NFL market where the XFL has tremendous potential.

San Antonio, Sacramento, Portland, Raleigh, Louisville & Memphis (in that order) are markets the XFL should target for future expansion or relocation.

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    The XFL needs to get in more cities where the NFL doesn't have a stronghold.

Dallas – Globe Life Park: 25,000; Option 2 - Toyota Stadium (Frisco) 20,500
    Houston - TDECU Stadium: 40,000
    Los Angeles – StubHub Center: 27,000
    New York – MetLife Stadium: 82,500
    St. Louis – The Dome at America’s Center: 66,965
    Seattle – CenturyLink Field: 69,000
    Tampa Bay – Raymond James Stadium: 65,618
    Washington, DC – Audi Field: 20,000

True, New York, Los Angeles & Dallas are current NFL markets where the XFL could survive. St. Louis & San Diego are defunct NFL market where the XFL has tremendous potential.

San Antonio, Sacramento, Portland, Raleigh, Louisville & Memphis (in that order) are markets the XFL should target for future expansion or relocation.

XFL getting ready to release team names and colors soon. Wish OKC was getting a team since I believe this is a league that will make it. I bet OKC would support building a stadium for a football team downtown. 50K stadium that could be dumbed down for minor league soccer on the CO-OP site would be cool. A downtown jewel.

Blog Entries

MAPS3 Re: Xfl

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRT View Post
    XFL getting ready to release team names and colors soon. Wish OKC was getting a team since I believe this is a league that will make it. I bet OKC would support building a stadium for a football team downtown. 50K stadium that could be dumbed down for minor league soccer on the CO-OP site would be cool. A downtown jewel.
    Would love to see OKC in the XFL; University of Oklahoma might support use of Memorial Stadium's lower bowl as a temporary home if OKC were building a venue to house a franchise. They don't want to get stuck with an OKC branded franchise competitive toward their long-term program needs.

We're at a time where MAPS public support has shifted its focus toward investments in community-neighborhood oriented programs & projects.

MAPS 4 will pass as a single voter initiative if you focus the proposal on 12 - 15 projects where 70% of the budget supports the neighborhood theme.

I seriously doubt that OU would want us to get an XFL team.

Quote Originally Posted by hoya View Post
    I seriously doubt that OU would want us to get an XFL team.
    why wouldn't they? it plays at a time when OU football isn't playing, and so it doesn't affect the product at all... as they don't compete... and it would give use to a large building that isn't generating revenue during that time...

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    why wouldn't they? it plays at a time when OU football isn't playing, and so it doesn't affect the product at all... as they don't compete... and it would give use to a large building that isn't generating revenue during that time...
    I'm guessing the lack of stadium concerts over the years is proof OU is not keen on using Memorial Stadium for much other than OU home fb games. I can think of only 3 concerts there since the 1980's.

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    Would love to see OKC in the XFL; University of Oklahoma might support use of Memorial Stadium's lower bowl as a temporary home if OKC were building a venue to house a franchise. They don't want to get stuck with an OKC branded franchise competitive toward their long-term program needs.

We're at a time where MAPS public support has shifted its focus toward investments in community-neighborhood oriented programs & projects.

MAPS 4 will pass as a single voter initiative if you focus the proposal on 12 - 15 projects where 70% of the budget supports the neighborhood theme.
    While fans think of the opposing teams on the field as the team's rivals, generally for sports with significant revenue generating capability it is really the other local teams management considers rivals and especially at the pro level the other teams in the league are considered business partners.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    I'm guessing the lack of stadium concerts over the years is proof OU is not keen on using Memorial Stadium for much other than OU home fb games. I can think of only 3 concerts there since the 1980's.
    concerts are completely different animal... i think they might consider... i mean wasn't there a Chiefs preseason game at memorial stadium back in like 1998?

granted... i have been one of the people saying we aren't getting an XFL team, probably ever... because Vince seems to want to be mostly in much larger markets, so i don't really think there is much reason to talk about it...

concerts are completely different animal... i think they might consider... i mean wasn't there a Chiefs preseason game at memorial stadium back in like 1998?

granted... i have been one of the people saying we aren't getting an XFL team, probably ever... because Vince seems to want to be mostly in much larger markets, so i don't really think there is much reason to talk about it...
    If this catches on and is supported you can bet there will be a lot of expansion. Like anything else though,you have to have the big money folks get involved. There's no reason why OKC couldn't get in line for a team IF some of the local rich folks want it. Most of these folks are too busy hoarding their millions I assume. There's no question that OKC could easily support the NBA and XFL

If this catches on and is supported you can bet there will be a lot of expansion. Like anything else though,you have to have the big money folks get involved. There's no reason why OKC couldn't get in line for a team IF some of the local rich folks want it. Most of these folks are too busy hoarding their millions I assume. There's no question that OKC could easily support the NBA and XFL
    except that Vince McMahon is treating this completely different. he isn't selling franchises like the NFL or other leagues have done... all of these teams are owned by one ownership group, the ownership of the XFL... all the teams are league owned. and thus, i think expansion will be much slower, and not involve many local people. they aren't finding local owners to bring in, for the most part... they are looking at the best locations for their teams, and just putting them there, and sometimes getting someone local to do some day to day operations with a small portion of shares of the total ownership group... he is doing this completely different than most leagues. go and look. the owner ever every team is listed as Alpha Entertainment, LLC, which is the ownership group of the XFL itself... and it's a very intriguing idea

except that Vince McMahon is treating this completely different. he isn't selling franchises like the NFL or other leagues have done... all of these teams are owned by one ownership group, the ownership of the XFL... all the teams are league owned. and thus, i think expansion will be much slower, and not involve many local people. they aren't finding local owners to bring in, for the most part... they are looking at the best locations for their teams, and just putting them there, and sometimes getting someone local to do some day to day operations with a small portion of shares of the total ownership group... he is doing this completely different than most leagues. go and look. the owner ever every team is listed as Alpha Entertainment, LLC, which is the ownership group of the XFL itself... and it's a very intriguing idea
    Oh I think you are wrong. They have investors in that group and could /will add more big money investors if this catches on. Eventually (again, assuming this catches on) I would bet percentages of these franchises will be sold off to local ownership groups and more teams added on. They are just trying to get this up and running but they have money behind this venture other than VM.

Oh I think you are wrong. They have investors in that group and could /will add more big money investors if this catches on. Eventually (again, assuming this catches on) I would bet percentages of these franchises will be sold off to local ownership groups and more teams added on. They are just trying to get this up and running but they have money behind this venture other than VM.
    they do have investors in there, and they are invested in the whole entity, not just one team... but i'm just going from the exact words of Vince himself when he said one of the problems with the XFL in 2001 was lack of control of the whole product... so i don't think he is going to part with it anytime soon

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jerryba.../#28de4e0619fc

from this conversation with forbes
    "A chance to do it with no partners, strictly funded by me, which would allow me to look in the mirror and say, 'You were the one who screwed this up,' or 'You made this thing a success,'" he told ESPN.
    Vince wants to do it his way... which is why the investors are all in Alpha Entertainment, LLC, and Vince is clear majority owner of it, and will stay CEO...

so Vince McMahon thinks i'm right... do you have something that says it differently?

here is an article talking about the second time he sold off stock to prepare for this

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeoza.../#f3216bc76a99

In March, Fox reported that WWE chairman Vince McMahon sold more than 3.2 million shares of WWE’s Class A common stock at a price of $84.87 each—worth roughly $272 million total—to help fund the relaunch of the XFL.
    and then this

McMahon's sale of WWE stock in March was on top of the $100 million of WWE stock he sold in December 2017, according to a story by Darren Rovell, who wrote at the time regarding McMahon's investment in the XFL: "The WWE chairman, who began funding the league by selling approximately $100 million in WWE stock and putting it into his wholly owned subsidiary Alpha Entertainment, has informed insiders that he expects to spend closer to $500 million in the league's first three seasons. The XFL is scheduled to reboot in February 2020."
    yes, there are other investors... but Vince is without a doubt the largest shareholder of this LLC.. and if he runs it like he does WWE, he only owns 37% of the stock, but 80% of voting stock.. i have a feeling, as a businessman who is already doing things a certain way, he will continue to build this enterprise in a similar fashion.. it wouldn't surprise me if most of the new investors that came in had little to no voting shares in the LLC

Anyone watching preseason NFL games? The players playing in the fourth quarter of the first preseason games will be the top tier players in the XFL, if they can even get talent that good. The on field product is going to be terrible. McMahon is certainly a top notch showman and may have a chance to make it work. It will be a huge upset if this version of the XFL makes it to season two.

Quote Originally Posted by checkthat View Post
    Anyone watching preseason NFL games? The players playing in the fourth quarter of the first preseason games will be the top tier players in the XFL, if they can even get talent that good. The on field product is going to be terrible. McMahon is certainly a top notch showman and may have a chance to make it work. It will be a huge upset if this version of the XFL makes it to season two.
    i'm not going to say it will be terrible... but it defiantly won't be of the caliber of the NFL, or possibly even the power 5 conferences of the NCAA... i would be willing to put it just above the level you see in the AAC, Mid_american and Mountain West conferences... one of the biggest problems you see in NFL preseason, is some of these guys still don't even get a lot of time in practice doing actual plays... mostly it's just drills. so they never get to build as a cohesive unit. if they are able to spend a month or two getting ready, i bet it will be up to the level of those college conferences in terms of play, and that can be enjoyable football to watch.

Hope you're right as it would be great to have some legitimate football to watch in the spring. I just think the chances are pretty slim that it works out.

I am sure that VM wants to control this startup. But if it does well I don't think there's any doubt that they will want to expand and take on more investors. It just makes sense. They will put out a good product. The AAF was pretty decent and they were working on a shoestring budget. The XFL will be able to attract some decent talent and if it takes off who knows what it will look like 5 years down the road. But VM has to be able to control the startup for sure and he is putting his money where his mouth is,almost. These will be Pro teams and I seriously doubt that any college team would be able to hang with them.

I am sure that VM wants to control this startup. But if it does well I don't think there's any doubt that they will want to expand and take on more investors. It just makes sense. They will put out a good product. The AAF was pretty decent and they were working on a shoestring budget. The XFL will be able to attract some decent talent and if it takes off who knows what it will look like 5 years down the road. But VM has to be able to control the startup for sure and he is putting his money where his mouth is,almost. These will be Pro teams and I seriously doubt that any college team would be able to hang with them.
    i would put the 2001 Miami Hurricanes up against any XFL team...

Agreed as to different animal. I was commenting on the general idea of revenue producing usage. However the 6A championship game in HS FB has never been held there even though their is a provision for the game to be alternated between East and West/Central on a yearly basis. You would think OU would be offering this up in the interest of possible recruiting.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    Agreed as to different animal. I was commenting on the general idea of revenue producing usage. However the 6A championship game in HS FB has never been held there even though their is a provision for the game to be alternated between East and West/Central on a yearly basis. You would think OU would be offering this up in the interest of possible recruiting.
    i think the difference is HS FB is during the season... and the difference in money... that's probably why a NFL Preseason game was allowed... the money

Quote Originally Posted by checkthat View Post
    Hope you're right as it would be great to have some legitimate football to watch in the spring. I just think the chances are pretty slim that it works out.
    There is already a successful spring/summer league, the CFL. They have been around longer than the NFL, they have American talent, and while the rules while different they are closer to what the NFL has than the proposed rules of this minor league.

Thread Information