Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Xfl

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Xfl

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    The XFL needs to get in more cities where the NFL doesn't have a stronghold.

Dallas – Globe Life Park: 25,000; Option 2 - Toyota Stadium (Frisco) 20,500
    Houston - TDECU Stadium: 40,000
    Los Angeles – StubHub Center: 27,000
    New York – MetLife Stadium: 82,500
    St. Louis – The Dome at America’s Center: 66,965
    Seattle – CenturyLink Field: 69,000
    Tampa Bay – Raymond James Stadium: 65,618
    Washington, DC – Audi Field: 20,000

True, New York, Los Angeles & Dallas are current NFL markets where the XFL could survive. St. Louis & San Diego are defunct NFL market where the XFL has tremendous potential.

San Antonio, Sacramento, Portland, Raleigh, Louisville & Memphis (in that order) are markets the XFL should target for future expansion or relocation.

XFL getting ready to release team names and colors soon. Wish OKC was getting a team since I believe this is a league that will make it. I bet OKC would support building a stadium for a football team downtown. 50K stadium that could be dumbed down for minor league soccer on the CO-OP site would be cool. A downtown jewel.

Blog Entries

MAPS3 Re: Xfl

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRT View Post
    XFL getting ready to release team names and colors soon. Wish OKC was getting a team since I believe this is a league that will make it. I bet OKC would support building a stadium for a football team downtown. 50K stadium that could be dumbed down for minor league soccer on the CO-OP site would be cool. A downtown jewel.
    Would love to see OKC in the XFL; University of Oklahoma might support use of Memorial Stadium's lower bowl as a temporary home if OKC were building a venue to house a franchise. They don't want to get stuck with an OKC branded franchise competitive toward their long-term program needs.

We're at a time where MAPS public support has shifted its focus toward investments in community-neighborhood oriented programs & projects.

MAPS 4 will pass as a single voter initiative if you focus the proposal on 12 - 15 projects where 70% of the budget supports the neighborhood theme.

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    Would love to see OKC in the XFL; University of Oklahoma might support use of Memorial Stadium's lower bowl as a temporary home if OKC were building a venue to house a franchise. They don't want to get stuck with an OKC branded franchise competitive toward their long-term program needs.

We're at a time where MAPS public support has shifted its focus toward investments in community-neighborhood oriented programs & projects.

MAPS 4 will pass as a single voter initiative if you focus the proposal on 12 - 15 projects where 70% of the budget supports the neighborhood theme.
    While fans think of the opposing teams on the field as the team's rivals, generally for sports with significant revenue generating capability it is really the other local teams management considers rivals and especially at the pro level the other teams in the league are considered business partners.

I seriously doubt that OU would want us to get an XFL team.

Quote Originally Posted by hoya View Post
    I seriously doubt that OU would want us to get an XFL team.
    why wouldn't they? it plays at a time when OU football isn't playing, and so it doesn't affect the product at all... as they don't compete... and it would give use to a large building that isn't generating revenue during that time...

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    why wouldn't they? it plays at a time when OU football isn't playing, and so it doesn't affect the product at all... as they don't compete... and it would give use to a large building that isn't generating revenue during that time...
    I'm guessing the lack of stadium concerts over the years is proof OU is not keen on using Memorial Stadium for much other than OU home fb games. I can think of only 3 concerts there since the 1980's.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    I'm guessing the lack of stadium concerts over the years is proof OU is not keen on using Memorial Stadium for much other than OU home fb games. I can think of only 3 concerts there since the 1980's.
    concerts are completely different animal... i think they might consider... i mean wasn't there a Chiefs preseason game at memorial stadium back in like 1998?

granted... i have been one of the people saying we aren't getting an XFL team, probably ever... because Vince seems to want to be mostly in much larger markets, so i don't really think there is much reason to talk about it...

concerts are completely different animal... i think they might consider... i mean wasn't there a Chiefs preseason game at memorial stadium back in like 1998?

granted... i have been one of the people saying we aren't getting an XFL team, probably ever... because Vince seems to want to be mostly in much larger markets, so i don't really think there is much reason to talk about it...
    If this catches on and is supported you can bet there will be a lot of expansion. Like anything else though,you have to have the big money folks get involved. There's no reason why OKC couldn't get in line for a team IF some of the local rich folks want it. Most of these folks are too busy hoarding their millions I assume. There's no question that OKC could easily support the NBA and XFL

Agreed as to different animal. I was commenting on the general idea of revenue producing usage. However the 6A championship game in HS FB has never been held there even though their is a provision for the game to be alternated between East and West/Central on a yearly basis. You would think OU would be offering this up in the interest of possible recruiting.

Hope you're right as it would be great to have some legitimate football to watch in the spring. I just think the chances are pretty slim that it works out.

Quote Originally Posted by checkthat View Post
    Hope you're right as it would be great to have some legitimate football to watch in the spring. I just think the chances are pretty slim that it works out.
    There is already a successful spring/summer league, the CFL. They have been around longer than the NFL, they have American talent, and while the rules while different they are closer to what the NFL has than the proposed rules of this minor league.

Blog Entries

XFL would be a good fit for expansion into some smaller markets like Louisville (UL), Omaha (TD Ameritrade), Little Rock (War Memorial) and Oklahoma City (Gaylord Family MS).

Lower bowls of some of the larger facilities (excess of 40,000) like GFMS would make a great venue where 30,000-40,000 seat max needed.

Outdated video, hope you can envision the potential the XFL could become.

American football would have the venues available (spring) to absorb the players to supply a new league. XFL would not be a direct competitor, but a nice alternative.

Tulsa, let's not overlook, it would be a city you could add to those cities in the XFL YouTube markets.

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Re: Xfl

Now, we need to see how the resurrection of the XFL will turn out. It doesn't hurt to talk about expansion; however one guy puts OKC on his list for XFL expansion:

What! Jim Traber is not on the list?
    https://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/ph...d002f4d.html#1

Even though Vince claimed to have the money to weather 3 seasons of losses, he couldn't make it through one.

XFL suspends operations and lays off employees, no plans to return in 2021
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.esp...3fplatform=amp

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    Even though Vince claimed to have the money to weather 3 seasons of losses, he couldn't make it through one.

XFL suspends operations and lays off employees, no plans to return in 2021
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.esp...3fplatform=amp
    Yeah he probably didn't forecast a global, economy crippling pandemic shutting him down halfway through the first season.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    Yeah he probably didn't forecast a global, economy crippling pandemic shutting him down halfway through the first season.
    That is true. However he was not getting any tv revenue this year at all and he claimed to have 500m to operate over 3 years. One would have thought the losses were greater the first year than anticipated but not so crippling as to close the doors completely.

^

Example of a business not reopening after Covid-19.

There shall be plenty more.

I'm sure Vince was anticipating having some cash flow coming in the second half of the season. Plus, he probably see's a lot less low hanging fruit for the next 2 or 3 years at least.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    I'm sure Vince was anticipating having some cash flow coming in the second half of the season. Plus, he probably see's a lot less low hanging fruit for the next 2 or 3 years at least.
    also his core business WWE is not generating the same revenue as 2 months ago .... so his "net" is not longer around

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    also his core business WWE is not generating the same revenue as 2 months ago .... so his "net" is not longer around
    I wasn't thinking about the other parts of his business where he lost money. He's also smart enough to know there isn't going to be a V shaped recover. At least not for the people that buy tickets to his events.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    I wasn't thinking about the other parts of his business where he lost money. He's also smart enough to know there isn't going to be a V shaped recover. At least not for the people that buy tickets to his events.
    exactly... this is probably the biggest factor. and now that the NFL is possibly talking about a shift in their schedule if needed this year, as well as the fact they are going to be adding more games. led a lot of unknowns about when you could start your schedule. i don't think it's the last we have seen of the XFL. but i think they are going to regroup and wait a year or two before coming back again.

for example they proved there is a need for some more football, but also proved there isn't enough talent for 8 whole teams. i wouldn't be surprised if they came back with only 6 teams, and moved a couple of them. with attendance so great in places like St Louis and Seattle and so awful in New Jersey, DC and florida... i could see them trying to find some better markets

So, what things are folks hoping might make it into NFL? I think the XFL had some good innovation this year, and had the potential to be really great football. It's a shame their timing was so bad.

I like the new kickoff style a lot. I also like the changes with the extra point, but honestly I'd be fine if these didn't get picked up. I liked the double forward pass a lot but I know it's more of a novelty.

The mics on the coaches and the coach interviews in games can die as far as I'm concerned. That didn't seem to work well.

Oh, and I liked the team colors on the balls but this is not needed, but it doesn't hurt anything.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    So, what things are folks hoping might make it into NFL? I think the XFL had some good innovation this year, and had the potential to be really great football. It's a shame their timing was so bad.

I like the new kickoff style a lot. I also like the changes with the extra point, but honestly I'd be fine if these didn't get picked up. I liked the double forward pass a lot but I know it's more of a novelty.

The mics on the coaches and the coach interviews in games can die as far as I'm concerned. That didn't seem to work well.

Oh, and I liked the team colors on the balls but this is not needed, but it doesn't hurt anything.
    the replay communication

Thread Information