Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Xfl

Default Re: Xfl

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    Gee, I don't know about that. XFL crashed and burned in one year last time. Yeah they do have name recognition but it is in a negative light. I can't imagine Ford launching a new compact car and naming it Pinto.
    I know I have a negative opinion here but it is due to the
    fact that I am over 60 yoa and have personally lived through these failed start up leagues.
    i think week one. people will turn in though to see if it the train wreck that was the 2001 season... and if a quality product is on the field... they will stick around

here is why the AAF will fail... people already say that the NFL is getting closer to flag football... maybe their association with the NFL will be their downfall
    https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ts-on-blitzes/

While scanning the AAF rulebook rulebook, the following restrictions on defensive formations stood out: (1) no more than five players may rush on passing plays; (2) any player who aligns on the line of scrimmage either prior to or at the snap is designated as one of the five players regardless of whether he rushes; (3) no defensive player may rush from a position more than two yards outside the widest offensive lineman and more than five yards from the line of scrimmage (they’ll call it the “defensive pressure box”); (4) a player is deemed eligible to rush if he has both feet inside the box at the snap; (5) no more than four players may rush from the same side of the ball; (6) adjacent linebackers may not rush from the same side of the ball; and (7) two or more linebackers aligned between the offensive guards may not rush.

So, basically, up to five players can rush the passer and each of those five players must be aligned within two yards of the widest offensive lineman and five yards of the line of scrimmage. This means that there will be no corner blitzes. There will be no delayed blitzes from linebackers and safeties. There will be no double-A gap blitzes.
    so the AAF will basically be glorified padded exhibition games...

Blog Entries

Alliance of American Football (AAF - Attendance figures): https://www.bettheprop.com/2019/02/0...e-of-football/

The AAF did not release exact attendance figures; those estimates, we don't know how accurate they are or the number of season ticket holders. Still much TBD. Based on pictures release from the Alamodome in San Antonio and the Camping World Stadium in Orlando (both venue has listed 65,000-seat capacities) the lower bowl sections of those stadiums appeared to be partially full.

Going for two

– There are no extra points. Teams must go for two after every touchdown. Field goals are still allowed during regulation play but not overtime.

“There’s definitely going to be some different scores than we’re accustomed to,” Savage said. “The two-point plays, usually you only have to have a pocket full of those. Now, you have to have a season’s worth.”
    Opinion: Alliance of American Football will serve as a laboratory for changing the rules of football: https://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...es/2830050002/

Blog Entries

Watched the AAF league game Arizona Hotshots vs. Salt Lake City Stallions on the NFL channel. Both of these franchises are based in collegiate football stadiums; Arizona, Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe and Rice-Eccles Stadium in Salt Lake City.

The cameras avoid the stands because the crowds just aren't there yet.

It will take time to build a brand for the new off season leagues. Oklahoma City needs to sit tight until the dust clears; avoid these pop-up leagues. XFL will be open to relocation because they are going head-to-head competition with their NFL counterparts.

There will be time to invest in a stadium that could host USL-MLS which we need to get on MAPS 4. A future pop-up league like the AAF, XFL or the Freedom Football League (FFL) will be available, the FFL have already indicated that OKC will be one of their markets.

These leagues will get TV contracts; some of the franchises are in small markets (Memphis, Salt Lake City, Birmingham) in the proximity of major universities.

University of Oklahoma will probably be open to leasing Gaylord Memorial Stadium on an interim basis provided OKC has their own stadium plan; definitely nothing long term.

Oklahoma City need to allow the dust to clear; then we will be seen as a market with great potential.

I watched the San Antonio game, which is our 'regional team' with the tie ins it has to OU, Dallas Cowboys, etc, and I was surprised at how full the stands were at that particular game. Granted I watched the other games, and there weren't many people, but SA had a good showing. With the fact they seem to be one of the better teams, that may give the AAF a boost.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    I watched the San Antonio game, which is our 'regional team' with the tie ins it has to OU, Dallas Cowboys, etc, and I was surprised at how full the stands were at that particular game. Granted I watched the other games, and there weren't many people, but SA had a good showing. With the fact they seem to be one of the better teams, that may give the AAF a boost.
    Couldn't help but notice the AAF telecasts on the NFL channel.

Do you anticipate when the dust clears--after 2020; if there are teams standing, there could be a merger (AAF, XFL, FFL) to from a strong second pro-football league; similar to the competition between the old AFL and NFL that led to the merger.

Not sure when they would play, maybe as a summer league or a 2nd league to go head-to-head with the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post

Do you anticipate when the dust clears--after 2020; if there are teams standing, there could be a merger (AAF, XFL, FFL) to from a strong second pro-football league; similar to the competition between the old AFL and NFL that led to the merger.

Not sure when they would play, maybe as a summer league or a 2nd league to go head-to-head with the NFL.
    i think more we will end up seeing something similar to what the CFL is now... i don't think it will ever get up there in terms of competition, because it won't ever have the money to compete... but with the CFL, yes

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post

Yeah my guess is after 2 years or so after the XFL launches and these 2 leagues (I'm not betting the FFL ever turns into anything) have competed, you will see which teams have success and fan support and which ones don't, and at that time the leagues will merge. My guess is that is that the areas that have NFL teams won't have a ton of attendance and those may be the ones that don't make it. It seemed like San Antonio had the greatest showing, and they have a nice stadium that could easily have some upgrades and be a very professional looking stadium. I think they'll continue with the 'Spring' timing as IMO it has low competition from other sports, mainly NBA, so they can coexist. They are never going to go against the NFL, but if they want to be their D league, I think that's a winning ticket.

XFL needs to survive long enough to go head to head with the NFL. Believe or not there are a lot of people that refuse to support the NFL nowadays. They are ripe for the picking. This is why we are seeing these new leagues coming out. One of them will stick around for a while IMO. It appears that the XFL will have some bigger money investors and more than likely if any of these new leagues stick this will be the one. It would be great to have another legit Pro Football option other than the NFL. The NFL has become corrupt IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRT View Post
    XFL needs to survive long enough to go head to head with the NFL. Believe or not there are a lot of people that refuse to support the NFL nowadays. They are ripe for the picking. This is why we are seeing these new leagues coming out. One of them will stick around for a while IMO. It appears that the XFL will have some bigger money investors and more than likely if any of these new leagues stick this will be the one. It would be great to have another legit Pro Football option other than the NFL. The NFL has become corrupt IMO.
    I would dare say many of the players in the NFL aren't particularly enamored with the league either. But money is better so there they stay.

but tv viewship was up this year... and so was merch sales.. so i tend to think that there are not a lot of people that refuse to support... or if there are, they are being quickly replaced

ratings
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/bradadg.../#3f377b2c76cd
    https://www.si.com/nfl-ratings-2018-...-network-deals
    http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...nt-2018-season
    https://www.thewrap.com/what-drove-t...rease-in-2018/

and while the 2018 merch sales numbers are not official yet... remember that even with the 2017 rating numbers dropping for the third straight here, merch sales were up 40%
    https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/.../SB-merch.aspx
    https://magazine.promomarketing.com/...es-40-percent/

and early indications for 2018 is that the numbers will show another increase this year

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    but tv viewship was up this year... and so was merch sales.. so i tend to think that there are not a lot of people that refuse to support... or if there are, they are being quickly replaced

ratings
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/bradadg.../#3f377b2c76cd
    https://www.si.com/nfl-ratings-2018-...-network-deals
    http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...nt-2018-season
    https://www.thewrap.com/what-drove-t...rease-in-2018/

and while the 2018 merch sales numbers are not official yet... remember that even with the 2017 rating numbers dropping for the third straight here, merch sales were up 40%
    https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/.../SB-merch.aspx
    https://magazine.promomarketing.com/...es-40-percent/

and early indications for 2018 is that the numbers will show another increase this year
    Maybe slightly up but that's after quite a few years of losses. The NFL is not nearly as popular today as it was 10-15 years ago. They have lost millions of fans.

Maybe slightly up but that's after quite a few years of losses. The NFL is not nearly as popular today as it was 10-15 years ago. They have lost millions of fans.
    actually about a million fans... not millions... Sunday night football has lost about 2 million people watching that show. but between rating from 2006 to 2017 (final numbers and bottom of decline) and attendance from 2006 to 2017 (final numbers and bottom of decline)... it's about 1.2 million.

tv viewship over the same time frame as a whole is down way more... infact... when you compare tv number drop over the nfl drop in viewership... the NFL was doing very well... over that same time period that the nfl lost 1.2 million in fans, the Olympics lost 4 million, the winter Olympics 2.2 million, Baseball 2.4 million, NASCAR 4 million, PGA 3.1 million...

TV networks like the animal planet, TLC, and A&E lost 4.1, 4.4, and 5 million...

so maybe it isn't the NFL... maybe it's just TV...

NOTE: upon further research, there appears to be a few of those numbers that are a bit in dispute... but we are talking about by 200,000 people either way... so points still stand even if some of the numbers might be in dispute as to the actual figure

actually about a million fans... not millions... Sunday night football has lost about 2 million people watching that show. but between rating from 2006 to 2017 (final numbers and bottom of decline) and attendance from 2006 to 2017 (final numbers and bottom of decline)... it's about 1.2 million.

tv viewship over the same time frame as a whole is down way more... infact... when you compare tv number drop over the nfl drop in viewership... the NFL was doing very well... over that same time period that the nfl lost 1.2 million in fans, the Olympics lost 4 million, the winter Olympics 2.2 million, Baseball 2.4 million, NASCAR 4 million, PGA 3.1 million...

TV networks like the animal planet, TLC, and A&E lost 4.1, 4.4, and 5 million...

so maybe it isn't the NFL... maybe it's just TV...

NOTE: upon further research, there appears to be a few of those numbers that are a bit in dispute... but we are talking about by 200,000 people either way... so points still stand even if some of the numbers might be in dispute as to the actual figure
    This so much. Heck go over to the cable cutters thread and you see that there are a number of people on this board that watch programming that is not picked up by Nielson or other rating services..

Blog Entries

True there has been some damage to the NFL's brand self-inflected that will take time to recoup. Still think it will be difficult to go head-to-head with the NFL during the NFL and NCAA season. IMO, a summer league will have a better chance of long-term survival.

Has there been any more word as to whether OKC may/may not be up for an XFL franchise? And if so, where would they play?

Quote Originally Posted by borchard View Post
    Has there been any more word as to whether OKC may/may not be up for an XFL franchise? And if so, where would they play?
    XFL has not talked any expansion, and their 8 teams for the inaugural season are already set. based upon talk vince has made over the past 18 years about the XFL, i wouldn't expect them to expand until after a 3rd season. So OKC's only hope would be them moving a team, and i think they will give 2-3 years to any city to try and support it before moving a franchise.

XFL has not talked any expansion, and their 8 teams for the inaugural season are already set. based upon talk vince has made over the past 18 years about the XFL, i wouldn't expect them to expand until after a 3rd season. So OKC's only hope would be them moving a team, and i think they will give 2-3 years to any city to try and support it before moving a franchise.
    XFL teams are also found in cities with existing NFL teams. Except for St. Louis which the Rams moved from. Given that the AFL blew up in spectacular fashion 3/4ths into their opening season, it may be premature to talk about XFL expansion. Lets give them three years to see how they do.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    XFL teams are also found in cities with existing NFL teams. Except for St. Louis which the Rams moved from.
    and maybe more importantly when you consider the owner... Cities where the WWE is in good or great standing with the local communities...

and maybe more importantly when you consider the owner... Cities where the WWE is in good or great standing with the local communities...
    the big difference is that it has now come out that the AAF had 17 mil in funding at launch the XFL will have 500 mil

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    the big difference is that it has now come out that the AAF had 17 mil in funding at launch the XFL will have 500 mil
    500 Mil that we know of... vince has sold stock a few times in the past year, and there is talk of a few other investors. we publicly know of about 500 Mil, i was reading an article just the other day that thinks it's much closer to 1 Bil...

Blog Entries

MAPS3 Re: Xfl

Looking at how quickly the AAF went down; the XFL will need those cities in existing NFL markets to really perform well. I think you'll see a few of those franchises make a quick relocation if they don't penetrate those NFL market.
    San Diego & San Antonio will be favored relocation markets.

OKC could very well be on XFL relocation radar. The situation where OKC will have a stadium with potential expansion plays a lot different into the equation than did the old USFL.

OU just might be willing to lease Gaylord Family Memorial Stadium on an interim basis since this wouldn't be a long-term commitment with an OKC soccer specific stadium stadium on the MAPS 4 ballot; contingent upon the initiative being passed.

That's a lot of 'ifs,' however it's more of a reason to have a soccer specific-American football stadium ready.

Money certainly helps for investments. At the very least, there is more money to loose before investors get frustrated and pull the plug. The core audience of the NFL getting frustrated may help XFL.

Bigtime

XFL Strikes TV Deals With Fox and Disney
    Deals are expected to give visibility to Vince McMahon’s reboot of NFL rival nearly 20 years after initial launch.

All of the league’s 43 games will be televised either on broadcast or cable, the companies said. More than half will be split between Disney’s ABC network and the Fox network, while Disney’s ESPN and Fox’s Fox Sports 1 will be the cable homes. The majority of games will be played on Saturday and Sunday afternoons.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/xfl-str...ey-11557146700

The XFL is far more advanced than the failed AAF. I assume the AAF wanted to jump ahead of the XFL and they were working on a shoestring budget. The XFL has other backers besides VM so they are on a much stronger footing. Now they have the TV contracts with major networks. All the teams are in big cities to start and that should bring in more eyeballs for tv ratings. I think this league has a shot to be around a while.

Thread Information