Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Xfl

Default Re: Xfl

Quote Originally Posted by d-usa View Post
    Some of the state soccer tournaments could be played there as well. Plus concerts, motorcross, monster trucks, etc.
    They used Dick's Sporting Goods Park in Commerce City (Denver) for a lot of events in addition to Rapids and US Soccer games. I think the had the NCAA LaCrosse championships here a few years ago.

Blog Entries

MAPS3 Re: Xfl

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    They used Dick's Sporting Goods Park in Commerce City (Denver) for a lot of events in addition to Rapids and US Soccer games. I think the had the NCAA LaCrosse championships here a few years ago.
    We could build a venue on the Oklahoma River on city owned land with an elevated lower bowl that could be used for auto racing, soccer, American football, outdoor rodeo and bid for some of the national events like the NCAA championships: LaCrosse, soccer & field hockey. Participate in bids for NCAA men & women's division I & II championships.

Begin with 25,000 chair back seats in an oval shaped stadium lower & upper deck venue where we more than satisfy MLS minimum requirements. Build unfinished suites between the upper & lower bowls; allow the anchor tenant to build to suit.

The new football leagues like the XFL, Alliance for American Football League (AAF) or the Freedom Football League (FFL) would be allowed to lease the stadium. We could build something on city owned riverfront land for $50-$75 million.

Blog Entries

Strange change with the XFL, recall February 2018 announcement of the 8 cities considered: San Diego, Las Vegas, Portland, Omaha, New York, Birmingham, Columbus, Memphis. OKC barely missed the cut.

December 5, 2018 announcement; they are in 7 current NFL markets: New York, Dallas, Houston, Los Angeles, Seattle, Tampa Bay and Washington, St. Louis which hosted the Rams will be the 8th city for the XFL 2020 relaunch.

XFL has the best chance for national TV exposure thru Vince McMahon's NFL alternative.

We definitely need a venue if OKC wants to be considered for relocation should any of the selected markets have problems.

We should go for Jai alai instead!

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    Strange change with the XFL, recall February 2018 announcement of the 8 cities considered: San Diego, Las Vegas, Portland, Omaha, New York, Birmingham, Columbus, Memphis. OKC barely missed the cut.

December 5, 2018 announcement; they are in 7 current NFL markets: New York, Dallas, Houston, Los Angeles, Seattle, Tampa Bay and Washington, St. Louis which hosted the Rams will be the 8th city for the XFL 2020 relaunch.

XFL has the best chance for national TV exposure thru Vince McMahon's NFL alternative.

We definitely need a venue if OKC wants to be considered for relocation should any of the selected markets have problems.
    Those are all top 20 TV markets. If they can get somewhat established I bet they start expanding to the smaller markets like Portland , San Antonio OKC , Louisville types. I hope the XFL can make it and add some teams down the road. OKC doesn't have a stadium so they would def. have to agree to build one if the XFL agreed to put a team here. Problem right now though is that the XFL is not established and NO city is going to build a stadium for an XFL team right now.

I have no idea what is driving this XFL love: the television brains associated with the original is now behind the AAF, who are coming to market first, in better cities, and with better business plans and football operations people. The only thing I see favoring the XFL is Vince McMahon and He Hate Me.

I think most folks couldn't care less about yet another minor league team in OKC. If we can't even sustain a minor league arena team like the Yard Dawgz, or a major league arena team like the Wranglers, what makes anyone think we could support another minor league football franchise?

How is it that no one has talked about this yet? Everyone still in shock that Bob Stoops is coaching in the XFL?

https://newsok.com/article/5622281/x...llas-franchise

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    How is it that no one has talked about this yet? Everyone still in shock that Bob Stoops is coaching in the XFL?

https://newsok.com/article/5622281/x...llas-franchise
    I think you're right.
    However, this is perfect for Stoops, IMO. He can watch his son(s) play college ball and probably doesn't have to do heavy lifting until after Christmas. Should give him a chance to stay coaching and have lower stress.

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    I think you're right.
    However, this is perfect for Stoops, IMO. He can watch his son(s) play college ball and probably doesn't have to do heavy lifting until after Christmas. Should give him a chance to stay coaching and have lower stress.
    That's kind of what I was thinking too with the lower stress.

I'm sure he got an ownership in the league. That combined with flexible hours I'm sure was hard to turn down.

Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post
    I'm sure he got an ownership in the league. That combined with flexible hours I'm sure was hard to turn down.
    Doesn't he have some sort of duties with OU still?
    I'm skeptical that he will get anything other than a salary. I'm guessing on 1m per year based on coach and gm. I give this new XFL a lifespan of no more than 2 years, if they get it off the ground. Their spring competition, AAF starts this weekend on CBS. The AAF is already lined up to appear on several networks including the NFL network.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    Doesn't he have some sort of duties with OU still?
    I'm skeptical that he will get anything other than a salary. I'm guessing on 1m per year based on coach and gm. I give this new XFL a lifespan of no more than 2 years, if they get it off the ground. Their spring competition, AAF starts this weekend on CBS. The AAF is already lined up to appear on several networks including the NFL network.
    FWIW the XFL is most likely going to be on ABC/ESPN and Fox Sports. I'd think at the end of the day if those come to fruition that gives the XFL a leg up on networks honestly. We'll see. Another thought is that the XFL and AAF end up merging into one entity.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    FWIW the XFL is most likely going to be on ABC/ESPN and Fox Sports. I'd think at the end of the day if those come to fruition that gives the XFL a leg up on networks honestly. We'll see. Another thought is that the XFL and AAF end up merging into one entity.
    plus the AAF isn't a name... people might honestly turn in to the XFL the first few weeks next year, just because of the name recognition... basically the abysmal failure in 2001, might be what is it's saving grace this time

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    plus the AAF isn't a name... people might honestly turn in to the XFL the first few weeks next year, just because of the name recognition... basically the abysmal failure in 2001, might be what is it's saving grace this time
    Recruiting Bob Stoops is a good start for the XFL. I wonder if they can keep it up.

Berry Trammel on the many failed start up football leagues. Also included is a brief blurb on the AAF and the coaches they have already hired including Spurrier, Rick Neuheissel, and Dennis Erickson. I guess this article would be a good reason on why I am skeptical of this working. Insanity is repeating what does not work and hoping for a different result. After the College and NFL season, I believe most sports fans are ready for the NBA, NHL, or NCAAM, not second or third rate football.

https://newsok.com/article/5622308/f...-minor-leagues

Blog Entries

Who knows Ohio & Oklahoma better than Bob Stoops. If this franchise doesn't work in Dallas--Columbus or Oklahoma City may be the next stop.

The Columbus Partnership and potential new Columbus Crew SC ownership group led by Pete Edwards, Jr. and Dee and Jimmy Haslam have revealed their plan for a new downtown stadium, announced Thursday.

The proposed $230 million, 20,000-capacity stadium is proposed to be part of a 33-acre site with a riverfront park, 885 new residences and more.
    Why Columbus, 'Plans revealed for potential new stadium in Columbus': https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/...adium-columbus

The XFL franchises are in all but one current NFL market (Dallas, Houston, Los Angeles, New York, Seattle, St. Louis, Tampa & Washington D.C.)

Xtreme Football League - XFL: Dallas, Houston, Los Angeles, New York, Seattle, St. Louis, Tampa & Washington D.C.

Alliance of American Football - AAF: Arizona (Phoenix), Atlanta, Birmingham (Alabama), Memphis, Orlando, Salt Lake City, San Antonio and San Diego

Freedom Football League - FFL: San Diego, Oakland, St. Louis, Birmingham (Alabama), Oklahoma City, Portland (Oregon), plus in Texas, Florida, Ohio and Connecticut.

Which league will make the cut?

I think the fact that both leagues to some degree are realizing the right move is to act like a feeder to the NFL and allow players more flexibility in contracts will really help their case. Both the XFL and AAF have 8 teams in different cities. To me they should just combine now and go all in as a link between college/JUCO and NFL as a spring league and they’d probably have enough success to make it. Staying separate will mean one of them dies off at some point. But I’d have to agree the XFL seems to have better recognition and taking their time this time around. It may pay off for them.

I think the fact that both leagues to some degree are realizing the right move is to act like a feeder to the NFL and allow players more flexibility in contracts will really help their case. Both the XFL and AAF have 8 teams in different cities. To me they should just combine now and go all in as a link between college/JUCO and NFL as a spring league and they’d probably have enough success to make it. Staying separate will mean one of them dies off at some point. But I’d have to agree the XFL seems to have better recognition and taking their time this time around. It may pay off for them.

Blog Entries

Your keys stick (double post). Had to replace my keyboard, dongle & mouse. Can't keep the grandchildren from snacking in the computer room. One thing about grandchildren, you can spoil them to death.

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    Who knows Ohio & Oklahoma better than Bob Stoops. If this franchise doesn't work in Dallas--Columbus or Oklahoma City may be the next stop.

Why Columbus, 'Plans revealed for potential new stadium in Columbus': https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/...adium-columbus

The XFL franchises are in all but one current NFL market (Dallas, Houston, Los Angeles, New York, Seattle, St. Louis, Tampa & Washington D.C.)

Xtreme Football League - XFL: Dallas, Houston, Los Angeles, New York, Seattle, St. Louis, Tampa & Washington D.C.

Alliance of American Football - AAF: Arizona (Phoenix), Atlanta, Birmingham (Alabama), Memphis, Orlando, Salt Lake City, San Antonio and San Diego

Freedom Football League - FFL: San Diego, Oakland, St. Louis, Birmingham (Alabama), Oklahoma City, Portland (Oregon), plus in Texas, Florida, Ohio and Connecticut.

Which league will make the cut?
    I had not even heard about the FFL till today, though it seems like there strategy of getting the larger cities without a NFL team seems slightly more plausible of working than the XFL succeeding as being a minor league team in cities with established NFL teams, but still a longshot for any one of these leagues to get enough talent together and operate long enough to become a product better than high tier college programs. (It is mostly the AAF's strategy too, though there is some overlap with NFL but oddly not the largest metros like the XLF is mostly sticking to)

Given the AAF and FFL seem to both being all over the country, having multiple duplicates between the three and not terribly large amount of teams in league to begin with in either. It almost seems like which ever has trouble faster may have teams jump to the other if allowed to do so. IIRC that would be less likely with XFL since the last time they were all owned by the league and probably can be set up that same way again.

i think the winner is the one that chooses to not adopt the NFL policy of 3 year wait after high school. if one of these does a one and done, or even two years out of high school policy, they can get some notoriety with drafting freshman who play significantly well, and their marketing is basically done for them.

example. if the XFL drafts Trevor Lawrence away from Clemson a full year before the NFL will look at him... i think it will put a bunch of eyes on the product and the XFL can capitalize on what will essentially be a one year player for them. if they are having to complete with the NFL for all of their talent, i think they will fail... this is where i think most leagues fail. go look at the one success story of the AFL, and the almost was able to do it USFL... what were they able to do differently to make them successful? they were able to steal talent from the NFL because the pay wasn't near where it is today... new leagues can't do this... so they have to find another way to complete and grab NFL caliber talent that people want to see... i think the only way is a one and done method... use college football as a way to put eyes on the best freshman, and then look at them and say "hey, why play in college for free, when you can come play here for 2 years and still get drafted by the NFL when the time comes."

Blog Entries

Freedom Football League - FFL:
    San Diego, Oakland, St. Louis, Birmingham (Alabama), Oklahoma City, Portland (Oregon), plus in Texas, Florida, Ohio and Connecticut: https://www.freedomfootball.co/teams/

The FFL will field a 10 team spring & summer league; it will not reside in current NFL markets.

Oklahoma City Power

"The fans in OKC are like no other as they stand up until their team scores. But that is basketball. In a region rich with natural gas and oil, it is no secret that the energy industry powers the economy. The FFL intends to spread that wealth and reward the fans for their commitment, as the Oklahoma Power will trailblaze a new team in a region known for some of the greatest, winningest college football. The Freedom Football league welcomes the OKC team into the league and gives the Power to the people."

IMO, Oklahoma City needs to be ready to host a variety of sports into our community. Whether or not the FFL ever comes to fruition; there will be future opportunities with the possibility that the XFL need relocation or future expansion cities.

We have an opportunity with the MAPS 4 initiative to place a stadium for USL/MLS Oklahoma City Energy; also XFL as most new leagues experience some franchise relocation. Taft's 7,500 seat capacity is a non starter. We need to have a venue with no less than initial 15,000 seat capacity on a site that could have unlimited expansion potential.

ESPN: Former NFL players plan to launch Freedom Football League: http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...ootball-league

XFL will be the last one standing (for a while anyways) IMO. FFL will be the first to fail. XFL will be interesting to see if they can secure long tern tv deal. If so,I believe it has a chance since they will have investors with pockets. AAFL will be dependent on NFL and NFL owners are very greedy and do not like to spend anything outside the NFL. Plus they are looking at potential future CTE Lawsuits out the ying yang. XFL is the one to jump on board with IMO. OKC could be in line for a team if their first season goes well. XFL will be in major markets and that should be able to secure them some decent tv contracts,Eyeballs. Plus the XFL will not be cowering to the mighty NFL like the AAFL will be.

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    Gee, I don't know about that. XFL crashed and burned in one year last time. Yeah they do have name recognition but it is in a negative light. I can't imagine Ford launching a new compact car and naming it Pinto.
    I know I have a negative opinion here but it is due to the
    fact that I am over 60 yoa and have personally lived through these failed start up leagues.

Thread Information