Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Is service nearing a crisis level in OKC?

Default Re: Is service nearing a crisis level in OKC?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    People don't realize that a professional server can make close to 80-90k per year at a place like The Ranch. They build up a following that will always request him/her or will tip plus 20% on high per person average meals. i left my requested usual server at the ranch 25% on an $800 tab the other night because he is always spot on every time I come in. It was my son's 16th birthday and he wanted the Ranch and he wanted Justin has that is all he really know of service at the Ranch because that is who we always get.
    I know there’s oil titans who eat at the ranch 2-3 times a week sometimes and usually at least once.

The problem is we need more high paying jobs to fund a higher quality guest. The people who take positions at the Prime Steakhouses, places like The Metro and The Hutch, etc. are far more likely to stay because they are getting people with plenty of money to blow to come in and go big. One of the things that makes working at places like that so nice is that your weekdays are better than your weekends, which means you don't take a financial hit by taking off a weekend to go to the lake with your friends. You don't lose *as much* lifestyle being a career server in a place like that. However, places that don't have a $50+ per person average - you're going to get more turnover in a place like this because OKC doesn't have enough of the $75k/year single crowd or $130k/year married crowd who can come in on a regular basis the way the $200k+ crowd is coming in to places like the Ranch. Your bad nights are really really bad and you basically need your weekend shifts, because that's when volume makes up for the lack of quality.

Without that increase, It's worth taking a slight pay cut to go from $40k/year no benefits to $33k/year w/ benefits including PTO and having the advancement opportunities that just aren't really there in the restaurant business.

Stile99,
    Your right and I agree with Uptowner, I was just posting an experience that I had as an example.
    C. T.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    ^^^^^^^^
    Yep. I’ve gotten to know the owners of the Kirby’s group a bit over the years (strong Oklahoma ties, by the way), and the guy who is in charge of it all is a longtime friend, who served as the first GM of Mickey’s for years. In fact they have actually for many years considered the OKC Mickey’s location to be their flagship/signature store, despite having been founded in Dallas and having a number of Texas locations.

There is no company I am aware of in OKC that puts such a focus on service excellence; none. I’ve had many conversations about it with past GMs and the now longtime-present GM, who is a close friend of mine.

Although just like anywhere else, employees move back and forth between restaurant groups, the staff longevity in that one is incredible. And I think it’s worth noting that one of Hal Smith’s main corporate trainers (HSRG is one of the best examples for training locally) spent years at Mickey’s (and fair to point out was at HSRG before that).
    The owners were pretty easy to deal with on my end. I had to coordinate efforts with them and their design architect (Design Collaborative Dallas) while the building construction was going on.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    Worthy Cook,
    So, what restaurant are you talking about? Their Irish Pub. I would be interested in knowing since my grandson works there (making some money while going to UCO).
    C. T.
    A friend of mine from elementary school is the kitchen manager there. I stopped by there and saw him when I was back in town last August.

5. Default Re: Is service nearing a crisis level in OKC?

Had dinner at Louie's tonight and our server was, well, useless. So much to the point we discussed this thread. I've been in hospitality most of my working years, and have more understanding but tonight was a trip. His co-workers more than carried his load.

Thread Information