Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 15 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Streetlight Outages

Default Streetlight Outages

Cody Lusnia has begun taking an hour each night to map all of the streetlights that aren't working around the city. Here's what he has, after just tonight. Pretty sad state of affairs...

https://twitter.com/codylusnia/statu...61094669651973

I may try to start taking note of the mile markers that are completely dark on the interstates. So far my tweets to @OKDOT have gone unanswered. Once I have the data to back me up, perhaps I'll get a response...

Default Re: OKC Roads and Highways

Quote Originally Posted by LocoAko View Post
    Cody Lusnia has begun taking an hour each night to map all of the streetlights that aren't working around the city. Here's what he has, after just tonight. Pretty sad state of affairs...

https://twitter.com/codylusnia/statu...61094669651973

I may try to start taking note of the mile markers that are completely dark on the interstates. So far my tweets to @OKDOT have gone unanswered. Once I have the data to back me up, perhaps I'll get a response...
    Thank god - hopefully this will get the attention needed. Reminder! OG&E = TRASH.

So is anyone actually reporting them, or just posting about them on Twitter? Cause one way has a chance, however small, of getting the matter addressed. The other does not.

I mean, I totally understand the sentiment behind it. But if you think OG&E really cares about any public shaming attempts, I've got some land to sell you. Lots of bridges, too.

Quote Originally Posted by stile99 View Post
    So is anyone actually reporting them, or just posting about them on Twitter? Cause one way has a chance, however small, of getting the matter addressed. The other does not.

I mean, I totally understand the sentiment behind it. But if you think OG&E really cares about any public shaming attempts, I've got some land to sell you. Lots of bridges, too.
    It isn't just public shaming. They're going to take it to OG&E. AFAIK he is expanding it and thinking of delegating different parts of the city to different people. I'm going to volunteer for my little square mile. Who knows if they'll care or do anything with it even when presented with it, though....

Not necessarily a good excuse, but in p180 and some streetcar construction zones, lights either aren't hooked up or electricity hasn't been installed. Also keep in mind, the city controls P180 lights while all the rest are maintained by oge.

Not OKC but related, in Norman from Main Street to Indian Hills Road there are 40 light poles in the center divider with lights out. In Moore from Indian Hills to Shields there are also around 40 lights out. I called City of Norman and Moore and they both directed me to OGE. Called OGE and supposedly they made two work tickets for this. I'm not holding my breath.

Quote Originally Posted by pw405 View Post
    Thank god - hopefully this will get the attention needed. Reminder! OG&E = TRASH.
    In my experience, once OG&E is notified of a light outage, they get the streetlight lit back up pretty darn quick - with a few exceptions (stolen wiring, etc). Most of the ones I've reported are fixed within a day or so; the longest a repair has taken for me was about 10 days for a streetlight in my neighborhood where they had to dig a trench and lay down some new wiring for it. The problem is neither OG&E nor the City of OKC or ODOT feel it's their responsibility to keep track of and report lights that are out, so you and I have to be the ones to report it. I suspect that responsibility was never written into the contract.

I plan to forward that outage map to OG&E...I suggest each of us OKC Talkers do this and perhaps they will get the hint!

I've just asked OG&E if there is an e-mail address that streetlight repair requests can be sent to; in the interim, you can report any streetlight outages to Customer Service by calling 800-272-9741, Mon-Fri between 8 AM and 5 PM.

Okay, so it turns out there is. While the response I got was that the preferred method is to call, they will accept streetlight outage notifications via e-mail at custcaredept@oge.com. They also mentioned another important piece of info: their service level agreement is to complete the repair within 10 business days after reporting the light outage.

Cody could easily automate that list to email whenever a light is reported out on the map.

OKC Connect App Might be another option. I was reminded of it reading through a discussion on Nextdoor earlier today, apparently you can report issues and submit pictures of the problem with it.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    OKC Connect App Might be another option. I was reminded of it reading through a discussion on Nextdoor earlier today, apparently you can report issues and submit pictures of the problem with it.
    You cannot report streetlight outages to the city via the app; the app directs you to contact OG&E instead, as OG&E is responsible for maintaining the streetlights. They accept reports of other issues, however, like code violations, burned out stoplights, etc.

14. Default Re: OKC Roads and Highways

The city is responsible for any street light affixed to a traffic signal pole, OG&E won't touch them. Just have to be real clear that it's a traffic pole and a work order is placed

If anyone is interested in the results of the 3 day survey the mapped data points are at www.okcstreetlights.com

There is a forthcoming story in The Oklahoman, should be in Saturday's paper in the business section.

The streetlight issue in the downtown area is complicated by districts, associations, who funded what project, contractual obligations, contractors. Once you get outside the core of downtown it becomes much simpler since OG&E becomes virtually the sole entity responsible for streetlights other than for ODOT highway lights and ODOT is a whole other ball of wax.

16. Default Re: OKC Roads and Highways

Great work!

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Great work!
    +1. Outstanding!

Quote Originally Posted by cxl144 View Post
    If anyone is interested in the results of the 3 day survey the mapped data points are at www.okcstreetlights.com

There is a forthcoming story in The Oklahoman, should be in Saturday's paper in the business section.

The streetlight issue in the downtown area is complicated by districts, associations, who funded what project, contractual obligations, contractors. Once you get outside the core of downtown it becomes much simpler since OG&E becomes virtually the sole entity responsible for streetlights other than for ODOT highway lights and ODOT is a whole other ball of wax.
    OG&E is also responsible for maintaining the lights on State and Interstate highways in OKC (not turnpikes. Those requests are handled by a contractor). I've emailed them 3 times in the last 8 months about the lights on Hefner Road below the dam. They were always fixed withing 3-5 business days. Not sure why they are out so much. If you email them, they will respond with a Work Order number that you can use if you need to follow up on the status.

They are slower to fix highway lights. I'm still working with them to fix the lights at Hefner Parkway and 39th Street.

Default Streetlight Outages

There is a story on this in today's Oklahoman but it is behind a pay wall:

http://www.oklahoman.com/article/557...o_redirect=yes

As it happens, Cody Lusnia is a follower of OKCTalk on Twitter and he and I just exchanged messages the last few days because I saw his frequent posts about downtown streetlight outages.

His quick survey (by walking his dog at night; Cody lives downtown) revealed 419 inoperable lights in the small area you see below, which amounts to a little less than a square mile.

You will also notice the highest number along areas that have been completely reworked by Project 180. I would think these are the most frequently walked areas in the entire City (with the likely exception of Bricktown), with lots of activity at night especially when the Thunder are at home.

The City of OKC has been alerted and is now coordinating with OG&E to get these lights fixed.

I must add a couple of thoughts: 1) how on earth did the City let things get this bad in the first place and why has it taken something like this to move them to action? and 2) This problem is in no way unique to downtown, there just happens to be a higher concentration of lights and lots of people out walking down there at night.

Link to the Google Map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/vi...250000002&z=16

Default Re: Streetlight Outages

Are these traditional gas-discharge lamps?

21. Default Re: OKC Roads and Highways

^^^^^^^^
    Interesting because I’ve read and been told recently that highway lights are all ODOT’s responsibility.

This is another reason why I never go downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by skwillz View Post
    Are these traditional gas-discharge lamps?
    They are all of different type.

Great job, hope things start getting fixed! Would love to see all those turned in at once and see how well OG&E does with their SLA times for fixing them, they'd probably have to call in everybody for multiple shifts.

This is awesome! Great work by Cody!

Thread Information