Widgets Magazine
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Streetlight Outages

Default Re: Streetlight Outages

Thank you for finding that article! Sad that lake views took precedence over public safety.

2. Default Re: Streetlight Outages

Quote Originally Posted by Bowser214 View Post
    Thank you for finding that article! Sad that lake views took precedence over public safety.
    If l remember correctly, there was a big debate over whether the Hefner Parkway should be a slower speed, highly landscaped Parkway or the limited-access, high-speed, multi-lane highway that it is. One of the compromise points was that there be limited bright lighting in the lake segment.

^^^ thank god the latter turned out true. Hopefully lights will be put in one day.

4. Default Re: Streetlight Outages

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    ^^^ thank god the latter turned out true. Hopefully lights will be put in one day.
    It seems a low lumen, low-glow lighting scheme could be put in that would give a minimal level of visibility.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    It seems a low lumen, low-glow lighting scheme could be put in that would give a minimal level of visibility.
    I recently noticed the lighting on the northern part of Broadway Extension to be just that, low-glow lighting that all faces down on the roadway. It may be on the whole thing but I notice it north of Britton. I also noticed that the lighting is not very visible from very far away, but as you drive it illuminates your trajectory. I would think they could use this on the LHP which to me is grossly too dark.

6. Default Re: Streetlight Outages

On my recent visit to OKC I more than observed the outages primarily on the freeways. why are the lights out at Guthrie and Edmond I-35 areas - not really the bright lights big city feeling one otherwise expects when entering a 1.4M+ metro area.

I also thought the lack of lights on at I-44 and I-235 was downright dangerous particularly with the turns and curves and very difficult to see road markings (if there even are any or that are accurate). I definitely did not keep the lanes when driving that and if there were traffic - would ahve been an accident IMO caused by the lack of lighting/state of OK.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Last weekend I drove from I-40 downtown up toward Edmond from the I-40/I-35 loop to north Edmond. The amount of interstate lights out along that portion of highway is amazing. I've traveled through many, many major cities which have most, if not all, of their city lights on in full power. Yet, for the OKC area, the lack of full power streetlights is like our ongoing curse. The city or OGE or whomever could hire someone full time just to drive our major city routes to simply report outages. Depending on citizens alone to do the reporting is not very effective.

8. Default Re: Streetlight Outages

embarrassing and unsafe actually

Don't get me on my soap box about Hefner Parkway's lack of lighting because the surrounding neighborhoods complained it would interfere with their views of the lake.

This issue is one where getting things working in proper order is like dealing with the federal government, where some federal department is to take care of particular area but no one is actually in charge.
    Ugh. So ridiculous and frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    embarrassing and unsafe actually
    I couldn't agree more!

FWIW they were working on streetlights on I-35 this morning.

I may be wrong but it’s my understanding if one particular light is not working it is able to send a message …or somehow it is able to be tracked so the people in charge know that one particular light is out

I seem to remember that OG&E was trialing such a system but I don't know if they actually committed to a widespread deployment of those fixtures. To my knowledge, I think the only way they get notifications of lights being out is if citizens report the outage either to the OKC Action Center or to OG&E directly.

I thought the new “smart” lights were the LED ones that they are periodically installing around the metro.

16. Default Re: Streetlight Outages

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I thought the new “smart” lights were the LED ones that they are periodically installing around the metro.
    The smart lights are LED. But only a fraction of the LEDs are smart. I'm already sadly surprised at how many new LED lights are going out.

I really haven’t been paying attention lately to the streetlight situation as much I used to. The other night I drove around and it seemed to be better than it used to be but not much.

18. Default Re: Streetlight Outages

It is some. Or the routes take to work early mornings happen to be where new lights have been put in first.

Its odd where other cities seem to be able to keep their streetlights in full power but for OKC it's hit and miss at best. Even the Kirkpatrick there was two large sections where turnpike lights were out. Maybe other cities have a better light system or reporting process?

20. Default Re: Streetlight Outages

I was also under the impression the new LED lights were all smart and no longer needed to be reported. I haven't turned any outages in for awhile. Guess I need to start again.

That’s what I thought. I could have sworn that I read an article that the new LEDs will be “smart” and report themselves in the event of an outage.

22. Default Re: Streetlight Outages

only in OKC is nearly everything half baked. Everything. ....

23. Default Re: Streetlight Outages

Only some of the LEDs are smart. OG&E is doing the smart thing as a test. I'm getting this from a neighbor that's a manager in the street lighting division of OG&E.

Do you know how long the test or pilot program will last until they make a decision?

I drove around a bit from LA, Bay Area, Reno, Fresno, Denver, Las Vegas, Phoenix, SLC, Albuquerque, and Amarillo. I specifically drive around the cities during last two weeks and took notice of the lights on highways situation. The only city, LA by default, has little to no lighting on freeway which is ridiculous but that’s their thing. Whatever. The lights that were there worked. Other cities light their roads because they care about their citizens and immediately when I came into OKC I noticed more lights out than I saw in other cities. Even cities has construction zones with working lights.

That’s anecdotal but it’s my anecdote.

Thread Information