Widgets Magazine
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Streetlight Outages

Default Re: Streetlight Outages

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Why is the excessive copper theft/streetlight outages a relatively recent problem for OKC? What changed 2-3 years ago compared to before that has caused this to be such a problem now?
    Lack of give-a-crap-ness on OG&E's, OKC's and the OCC's part finally piling up into a critical mass? It's not recent, it's just that it's apparently just become more widespread as more and more lights go out and don't get repaired, and awareness has been raised, I'm guessing.

OG&E pretty much runs this city so good luck pushing them to do anything. They will get to it when and if they feel like it. I mean they get to purchase prime real estate at discount rates and then do nothing.

3. Default Re: Streetlight Outages

Terrible along I-44 from Western to MLK

FWIW, Mayor Holt has been quite responsive on this issue in the Facebook thread for his post about soliciting ideas for MAPS 4, but we obviously have a long way to go...

Quote Originally Posted by LocoAko View Post
    FWIW, Mayor Holt has been quite responsive on this issue in the Facebook thread for his post about soliciting ideas for MAPS 4, but we obviously have a long way to go...
    But as someone said (I think they said it about streetlights, not sure though, can't find it in a quick search), it should *not* be part of a temporary tax, it should be taken care of with ongoing funds, because it's an ongoing maintenance issue, it won't just get solved in the years the MAPS4 tax is in effect, then magically be fixed forever. Yes, replacing them with LED lights is better, so they may last longer, but this is just flat-out deferred maintenance and don't-give-a-crap attitudes by OKC, OG&E, ODOT, and OCC because they can get away with it.

Something similar happened with ComEd up in IL - they deferred maintenance on *tons* of lines, then transformers and transformer vaults started exploding, lines started deteriorating past the point of no return, and the IL CC forced them to go back and fix things, cost them millions and millions and took probably 10 years to fix what should've been routinely maintained, who knows how many more times the original cost was spent to do it, not to mention Loop power outages and explosions underground. Not saying our situation is completely analogous (streetlights aren't going to explode and cause outages for thousands of people and businesses), but the underlying theory is the same (except for the part where the corporation commission comes in and makes them fix things, sadly).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Literally less than 2 hours and 5 posts ago, I said I did and they don't care.
    I meant a commissionER, sorry. Like Bob Anthony or Dana Murphy. Was meaning see if you can get an office visit with one of them. If that's exactly what you tried, my apologies. I thought you just sent a message to the commission at large. Dana, for example, seems super approachable in the one time I met her.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    I meant a commissionER, sorry. Like Bob Anthony or Dana Murphy. Was meaning see if you can get an office visit with one of them. If that's exactly what you tried, my apologies. I thought you just sent a message to the commission at large. Dana, for example, seems super approachable in the one time I met her.
    Ah, gotcha, that's probably the next step. Checked out their website, not sure if I can talk to a commissioner directly or if I have to go through their consumer services dept and then into the labyrinth, but I'll give them a call and see who the next step is after email (which is all I did, you're correct, and next I was going to explore further what OG&E's operating charter says, once I found it).

Blog Entries

I have a card for Dana, from when I met her, with contact info, however, it's from when she was campaigning for Lt Gov so not sure if the info is still valid/checked. I'll PM it to you though.

Lackmeyer's chat had quite a few questions/answers about the streetlight situation today, maybe City Hall is listening, but I'm guessing I'll still call/go in to the OCC and try to find out what OG&E's responsibilities are and if they're enforceable.

Sorry, they were too numerous and spread out for me to mess with consolidating them, Ctrl-F is your friend.

https://newsok.com/article/5620651/o...teve-lackmeyer

10. Default Re: Streetlight Outages

Just curious if someone is still going around downtown checking on what is out, if we're making any progress in that regard. I'm not so sure

I've been told it would be a good idea to contact Brian Taylor, who is the Division 4 Engineer for ODOT, regarding lights that are out along the highways. His office phone number is 580-336-7340.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    I've been told it would be a good idea to contact Brian Taylor, who is the Division 4 Engineer for ODOT, regarding lights that are out along the highways. His office phone number is 580-336-7340.
    ODOT Public Affairs is 405/521-6000. They're a good contact to use as well.

13. Default Re: Streetlight Outages

I hope when they DO get repaired, we make them less desirable to break into (aluminum, stronger locks, etc). I get a thief will get in sooner or later, just hope we make it harder to do so with the repairs.

I-40 lights downtown are being repaired!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

+ 1,000,000,000,000,000,000

I drove through there at 4:00 pm today and they were on !

17. Default Re: Streetlight Outages

I saw a truck out there Wednesday morning and thought ??
    Very pleased to hear this. I'll have to drive through to see it. Lol

Here's hoping they do I-35 around I-240 next, that stretch is absolutely brutal.

Mayor David Holt
    Mayor David Holt
    @davidfholt
    Reminder for those interested: This public briefing on street lights will occur at this morning’s Council meeting. You can watch on Ch 20 in OKC or here: (link: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ysetVvT6UOY) m.youtube.com/watch?v=ysetVv…

——

Mayor David Holt
    Mayor David Holt
    @davidfholt
    Re: Streetlights

Nonfunctioning street lights present a surprisingly complex challenge in OKC. The challenge touches issues such as reporting, jurisdiction, policing, scrap metal laws, lighting technology, theft prevention technology, and funding, just to name a few. (1/2)
    3:30 PM · Jan 18, 2019 · Twitter for iPhone

Mayor David Holt
    Mayor David Holt
    @davidfholt
    I’m unaware of any recent comprehensive public explanation of these issues either by the city or the media. As such, I have asked for the Council to receive a public briefing at our 1/29 regular meeting so that we can all understand what is going on & explore solutions. (2/2)
    3:34 PM · Jan 18, 2019 · Twitter for iPhone

^^^^

OKC completely backpedaled on the streetlight outage reporting via the Action Center. You're supposed to report streetlights via the OG&E webpage "Report an outage" link or call them. Complete fail on OKC's part - they should hire one or two people to drive around at night and tag dark streetlights via GPS, then upload them somehow into OG&E's system, and follow up on them. Reporting on over 35,000 lights *should not* be the burden of the citizens (yeah, the occasional one, maybe, but we have far too many currently out to have a bunch of random citizens being the ones finding/reporting them).

However, on a good note, OG&E does appear to be moving forward on using aluminum, OKC on fixing the downed/vandalized poles, and OG&E is fixing them after the damage is fixed. Also replacing the incandescent with LED, etc., but running into manufacturing shortages.

Ironically, I think I'm starting to accept the streetlight outages. Driving on I-44 west the other day, couldn't see a damned thing north of I-40. Got south of I-40 and for the most part, it's pretty well-lit. I could easily see all the potholes.

*sigh*

On a serious note though, I wonder what would happen if someone hit one north of I-40 and sued the pants off the city AND OG&E. The city for not fixing it, OG&E for not being able to see it so they could avoid it. On the one hand you wonder if that would be the kick in the pants needed to get something done, on the other hand you figure the odds are both entities will just point fingers at the other guy and claim no responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by stile99 View Post
    Ironically, I think I'm starting to accept the streetlight outages. Driving on I-44 west the other day, couldn't see a damned thing north of I-40. Got south of I-40 and for the most part, it's pretty well-lit. I could easily see all the potholes.

*sigh*

On a serious note though, I wonder what would happen if someone hit one north of I-40 and sued the pants off the city AND OG&E. The city for not fixing it, OG&E for not being able to see it so they could avoid it. On the one hand you wonder if that would be the kick in the pants needed to get something done, on the other hand you figure the odds are both entities will just point fingers at the other guy and claim no responsibility.
    To be fair, OG&E and OKC are supposedly working on the major outages along the highways. There's a chart from the meeting (can't go back far enough on the YouTube live stream, but it happened around 10:45) that shows about a dozen projects that are being worked on by OG&E, and another 10 or so being worked on by OKC so OG&E can do their part afterwards (OKC has to fix the hardware before OG&E can do the electric part). One area had 8000 ft. of copper wire stolen, so things like that are just going to take time. Also, some of the retrofitting is running into manufacturer shortages - OKC wants to retrofit all the P180 lights, but the manufacturer can only make ~20 of the kits at a time, and OKC needs hundreds. Much as I think they've both done a crappy job in the past (and are still doing a crappy job in some places), they appear to be doing what they can with what they have for the major highway outages. Wenger also mentioned that until a highway project is *completely* turned over to OKC by ODOT, the lights might be out until then.

From the mayor's twitter feed:

Here's what he had to say:

Re: Street lighting outages (thread)

We are currently being briefed on street lighting outages in OKC. It is actually kind of fascinating and I’m going to share some highlights.

10:51 AM - 29 Jan 2019
    There are over 26,000 street lights in OKC that are owned & maintained by @OGandE & there are an additional 8,000 lights that are owned by @cityofokc & maintained by @OGandE. That latter group is largely along our highways. @OKDOT only responsible for lights along open projects.
    There are an additional 700 lights downtown part of the Project 180 project. Each of these categories I just described sort of have their own set of issues.
    In the last few years, metal thieves shifted their activities to the copper wires found in our street lights. The theft has been on a scale beyond belief. Literally thousands of lights have been damaged, especially along our highways.
    We’ve even had incidents where the metal was stolen again within 24 hours of repairs being made. We’ve tried theft deterrence devices currently on the market and they’ve been overcome. We’re still looking for more options in that area.
    The only thing that might truly work in the long run is moving from copper to aluminum and that work is beginning as well.
    It’s worth noting here that if you see people working around a street light in a truck that is not clearly marked @OGandE or @cityofokc, they might still be legally working, but there’s also a real chance they are thieves. Don’t be afraid to call 9-1-1.
    I offered today to the Public Works Director that the Council is potentially willing to lend more resources to address this street light situation if that is what it needs. I think we were united as a Council today that we want to prioritize this issue & continue to stay engaged.

25. Default Re: Streetlight Outages

To give a little credit. The lights along Hefner Road below the dam are all on. They’ been out for months.

Thread Information