Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Streetlight Outages

Default Re: Streetlight Outages

Quote Originally Posted by zachnash View Post
    The City never said they were going to be the centralized place to report streetlight outages. The best way to report outages is to go directly to OG&E, however if people choose to use the Action Center's tools we'll get them over to OG&E's customer service department.
    In the city council meeting, it was said by Couch (I believe) that the city will take reports of streetlight outages and pass them on to the responsible parties, which is effectively "a centralized place to report streetlight outages". And it's great that they're doing that, but the city and OG&E need to get together to get a working relationship, and OG&E needs to step up (which is a long shot because in all this, I haven't seen one iota of giving a sh*t by OG&E). Help desk software to do this has existed for decades and I've personally used a few different ones that do this exact same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    ^^^^^^^
    Yep. While that Dallas Oncor site I linked above is the gold standard, a simple reporting-specific web contact form would be a great start.
    With a reply to the reporter that a ticket has been generated and gives the number and a way to follow-up online with the progress. Similar to when you order something from almost anybody online - here's your order number, here's how to track it within the order process, here's when it was shipped, here's how to track it during shipping. Start-to-finish tracking.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    In the city council meeting, it was said by Couch (I believe) that the city will take reports of streetlight outages and pass them on to the responsible parties, which is effectively "a centralized place to report streetlight outages". And it's great that they're doing that, but the city and OG&E need to get together to get a working relationship, and OG&E needs to step up (which is a long shot because in all this, I haven't seen one iota of giving a sh*t by OG&E). Help desk software to do this has existed for decades and I've personally used a few different ones that do this exact same thing.
    Disclaimer: Don't read in an argumentative tone

You are right, it was mentioned by Mr. Couch during a Council meeting that the City's Action Center will now accept streetlight outages. This is happening now. When streetlight issues are reported through the Action Center they package them up the next morning and ship them to OG&E. I also know that OG&E and the City are "stepping up" and working together to address issues - downtown and throughout the city. They give a "poop" and conversations are occurring thanks to public engagement.

HangryHippo Guest

which is effectively "a centralized place to report streetlight outages".
    This seems like a stretch on your part. The city is stepping up, but that’s hardly centralized reporting. IMO of course.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Honestly, OG&E needs a simple form on their website that creates a ticket and places it in a queue for rectification. I'm not going to take time out of my work day (probably during one of my breaks) to call a number and speak with someone. We need a 24/7 solution to this - a web form specifically for light outages.
    For the record, I have been reporting outages via their online "Contact Us" form. I usually get an email back within 24 hours telling me the work order number and confirming. Not sure why they aren't recommending this route for everyone. (Though I have my suspicions.)

6. Default Re: Streetlight Outages

You are right, it was mentioned by Mr. Couch during a Council meeting that the City's Action Center will now accept streetlight outages. This is happening now. When streetlight issues are reported through the Action Center they package them up the next morning and ship them to OG&E. I also know that OG&E and the City are "stepping up" and working together to address issues - downtown and throughout the city. They give a "poop" and conversations are occurring thanks to public engagement.
    Thanks Zach. I can vouch that you personally - and really your entire office - have been really interested in a resolution for all of this for quite a while, as you and I have had more than a couple of conversations about it. I appreciate your effort and for reaching out here with updates and corrections. I can also vouch that you give a poop, in general.

Good to know, and I'm glad the city is doing things and getting out there on this. But I don't believe we've seen *anything* by OG&E about this at all, either good or bad, they just don't seem to care (and it may be that they do, and it's low on their priority list, but they could at least put out some kind of something somewhere that says "we're aware and taking action, thanks", but maybe they don't want to call attention to how bad they've been sucking at replacing lights ).

A big part of my frustration with this is that in some aspects, the city and state and the utilities are still operating like it's the 1970s, and I've been around that long, so I know how things used to be back then. It's just bizarre to go to places where things are done in a modern way, then come back here and it's like time-travelling. Recycling, for instance - OKC is *just now* accepting cardboard and having bins larger than 2'x3'? Seattle was doing this 10 years ago (not to derail or start a discussion on recycling, but just an example).

Good to know, and I'm glad the city is doing things and getting out there on this. But I don't believe we've seen *anything* by OG&E about this at all, either good or bad, they just don't seem to care (and it may be that they do, and it's low on their priority list, but they could at least put out some kind of something somewhere that says "we're aware and taking action, thanks", but maybe they don't want to call attention to how bad they've been sucking at replacing lights ).

A big part of my frustration with this is that in some aspects, the city and state and the utilities are still operating like it's the 1970s, and I've been around that long, so I know how things used to be back then. It's just bizarre to go to places where things are done in a modern way, then come back here and it's like time-travelling. Recycling, for instance - OKC is *just now* accepting cardboard and having bins larger than 2'x3'? Seattle was doing this 10 years ago (not to derail or start a discussion on recycling, but just an example).
    From the joint release the City worked on with OG&E: "About 220 streetlights maintained by the City downtown are being restored, and more repairs are ongoing. About 40 streetlights maintained by OG&E downtown have also recently been repaired. Some streetlights that remain out are due to ongoing construction projects in the area." Also, IMO, they are being proactive and have a good response rate when notified about streetlights out....when there aren't other issues like cooper theft or damages caused by construction or vehicle accidents. We are focusing on reporting because that is one of the main ways they know when there is a problem. I've read the responses to the proactive surveying vs public assistance. OG&E just released the news release to their followers this afternoon.

As far as recycling this was due to a long-term waste contract. I think it was a 20 year contract. I need to verify that to make sure. We were locked in to what was able to be accepted when the contract was first adopted. The new contract created more recycling options, larger bins and new routes.

9. Default Re: Streetlight Outages

Zach, would you know, Walker & Rbt S Kerr have yet to receive street lights after the new P180 fixtures went up, any update on that?

Quote Originally Posted by OKCbyTRANSFER View Post
    Zach, would you know, Walker & Rbt S Kerr have yet to receive street lights after the new P180 fixtures went up, any update on that?
    The property owner in the area declined the Project 180 amenities, including the new lighting.

Default Re: OKC Roads and Highways

Quote Originally Posted by macfoucin View Post
    Not OKC but related, in Norman from Main Street to Indian Hills Road there are 40 light poles in the center divider with lights out. In Moore from Indian Hills to Shields there are also around 40 lights out. I called City of Norman and Moore and they both directed me to OGE. Called OGE and supposedly they made two work tickets for this. I'm not holding my breath.
    ***Update: Since I didn't write the ticket numbers down I couldn't check the status of these tickets. I emailed OGE on 1/19 and two new tickets were made. On 2/7 I emailed and asked for an update...they said the Moore ticket was still open and said the Norman ticket was completed. On they way to work this morning I counted over 30 lights still out in the center median in Norman. OGE has created a new ticket for this.

12. Default Re: Streetlight Outages

Thanks, appreciate the response.

Earlier this week someone was fixing the lights with a big boom truck on I-40 between Meridian and Council.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    Earlier this week someone was fixing the lights with a big boom truck on I-40 between Meridian and Council.
    I think they were actually unplugging several sets of lights, to keep the consistency.

I think they were actually unplugging several sets of lights, to keep the consistency.
    . And it's probably true.......

I don't know how they operate - I emailed about one out on the Venice Blvd median right in front of my house, told them exactly which corner of the median it was on. A white truck came out yesterday, did something (I was leaving, so couldn't ask them what they were doing), ended up tying 2 red pieces of tape around the out one and a functioning one right next to it, and there they sit, one still working, one still out, but both with red flags on them.

I don't know how they operate - I emailed about one out on the Venice Blvd median right in front of my house, told them exactly which corner of the median it was on. A white truck came out yesterday, did something (I was leaving, so couldn't ask them what they were doing), ended up tying 2 red pieces of tape around the out one and a functioning one right next to it, and there they sit, one still working, one still out, but both with red flags on them.
    Emailed them and asked about this, they said a crew had been out and replaced the light and it was on, which is complete BS. They issued another work order, so we'll see what happens in the 2nd round. Tempted to go out and write OUT on the pole with a sharpie, but I'm gonna see how long it takes them to figure it out.

Crazy how much damage can occur in so little time:

http://www.normantranscript.com/news...f5ac5f1ed.html

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
    Crazy how much damage can occur in so little time:

http://www.normantranscript.com/news...f5ac5f1ed.html
    I let the Norman City Councilman know that there is little to no hope if they are ODOT lights, and he should expect a repair in 7-13 years.

Quote Originally Posted by pw405 View Post
    I let the Norman City Councilman know that there is little to no hope if they are ODOT lights, and he should expect a repair in 7-13 years.
    According to the article, ODOT doesn't maintain any lights. It's all up to the municipal government.

Once you start noticing how many lights are out, it's pretty stunning.

Driving along I-44 south near 36th/23rd/10th then exiting on I-40 east towards downtown last night, I noticed well less than half lights were operational, closer to 25%.

I remember taking an friend to the airport when I first moved back and it was a rainy night and I almost had to pull over because I couldn't even see the markings on the interstate. Now I know why.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

Driving along I-44 south near 36th/23rd/10th then exiting on I-40 east towards downtown last night, I noticed well less than half lights were operational, closer to 25%.

I remember taking an friend to the airport when I first moved back and it was a rainy night and I almost had to pull over because I couldn't even see the markings on the interstate. Now I know why.
    . . .reported to OG&E Tuesday nite at their "Contact Us" link. .received work order # yesterday. . . we'll see. . . .

Yep. Once I became aware of it, I can't unsee it and every night time drive has become frustrating.

25. Default Re: Streetlight Outages

It doesn't help that ODOT's paint markings have the approximate durability of sidewalk chalk. Look around in the daylight sometime and you can find plenty of them that have flaked off the pavement to the point that it's hard to tell there's even supposed to be a marking there. It's worse in areas with recent construction, because they lay down temporary markings and grind them off, leaving rough spots on the pavement that are more noticeable than the actual markings.

Other states avoid this problem by laying down strips of reflective tape instead of using paint.

Thread Information