Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Streetlight Outages

Blog Entries

Default Re: Streetlight Outages

The city installed a pole light at the back of our house along the street and it has always been the home owner's responsibility to pay for the electricity cost.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    I know, that's what I (and others) wanted too, but I was told that they're not set up for notifying OG&E (or the other power companies) since they've never had the responsibility of fixing streetlights, so the capability isn't there in the Action Center to do that. Although it's there for other city departments that they route items to, so I'm not sure why they can't just modify whatever software they're using to shoot an email to OG&E when a streetlight outage is reported via the Action Center.
    This recommendation has been implemented by the Action Center. It is always best to report to OG&E directly, but if people report to the Action Center through app, website, email, text, call or fax, we will ship the issue to OG&E each morning at 7 a.m.

Quote Originally Posted by zachnash View Post
    This recommendation has been implemented by the Action Center. It is always best to report to OG&E directly, but if people report to the Action Center through app, website, email, text, call or fax, we will ship the issue to OG&E each morning at 7 a.m.
    Thanks Zach.

Does this apply to lighting only? I had reported graffiti on polls to the city and was told it was an OG&E problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post
    The ones on May from NW 23rd to 16th have not been fixed. and I logged that ticket a good while ago
    A car hit a pole in this area knocking out power to the stretch of road. OG&E crews are aware and working to repair base and lights should be back on.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Thanks Zach.

Does this apply to lighting only? I had reported graffiti on polls to the city and was told it was an OG&E problem.
    Any issue regarding a streetlight will be accepted and sent to OG&E. This morning we sent over a few request about peeling paint on poles.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    The App on my phone hasn't worked in a long time. Everything I do anything in the app, it says 'whoops, you have no connection'. This is on iOS and with AT&T. Not sure if it just me or what.
    Sorry you are having issues with the OKC Connect app. Please delete the app, reinstall and login again. If you want to receive updates on your submitted issues, I recommend using an email address instead of creating an account using your Facebook profile. If you use an email account, the Action Center will provide updates on your submitted cases.

I will also add that you can using the widget embedded on okc.gov as well. It is responsive and has the same functionality.

You can also text the Action Center at (405) 252-1053. Please note, this number is only for text messages. Be sure to include the address or closest intersection and a detailed description of the issue. Feel free to include photos. Text messages are monitored Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Don't text and drive and standard carrier rates and fees apply.

Thank you!

It would be nice to get more streetlights in areas like Deep Deuce, Midtown, and other recently gentrified areas. This is definitely one area where OKC's infrastructure hasn't kept up with development and progress.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    It would be nice to get more streetlights in areas like Deep Deuce, Midtown, and other recently gentrified areas. This is definitely one area where OKC's infrastructure hasn't kept up with development and progress.
    Let's not get ahead of ourselves.. lets get what we have working first!..lol

Awesome, thank you very much for making our lives easier!

11. Default Re: Streetlight Outages

Thanks for that information. I find an email to the Action Center works well for me, do it quite often (maybe too often ��) but find the staff very responsive.

Deleting the app worked. Thanks for chiming in!

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    Deleting the app worked. Thanks for chiming in!
    You're welcome. I'm glad it is working now. If you have any other issues feel free to email action.center@okc.gov.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    I missed the start of it, but streetlight outages are being discussed in the City Council stream at the moment.

Here's the link that skips to where the streetlights are discussed: https://youtu.be/S9gVOh2U6DM?t=1h10m36s

The OKC Connect app now allows anyone to report streetlight outages of any type. The city Action Center will coordinate with the appropriate parties involved to get them repaired. I'm excited about this because it's a lot easier to use the app than to call every time I see one out!

A car hit a pole in this area knocking out power to the stretch of road. OG&E crews are aware and working to repair base and lights should be back on.
    OG&E is installing the pole now, hopefully it won't be long till it relit.

noticed on way to the Gym this morning that the street lights on May from 23rd to 16th are back on. I had reported it a few weeks back

I noticed the lights north of the Capitol complex along Lincoln are back on as well.

A long (1/2 mile), uninterrupted stretch of lights were out last night on NWX between Independence and Villa. Completely out on one side, out for most of that stretch on the other. I'm suspecting it's a transformer or related issue affecting the entire area, not just guys grabbing copper pole-by-pole.

Quote Originally Posted by baralheia View Post
    I noticed the lights north of the Capitol complex along Lincoln are back on as well.
    John Pettis asked about this in the city council mtg a couple of days ago, and Couch said "Yeah, we'll look into it" and apparently he made it so, which is way quicker than I thought it would take. Glad things are happening, but as (I believe it was) Pettis said "Why did it take so long, and how did we get into this situation where it's so bad?"

The main reason is until now, nobody wanted to take responsibility for discovering lights that were out and instead relied solely on reports from the public. There really needs to be someone (or multiple someones) that are tasked with finding burnt-out or otherwise inoperative lights all across the city, and reporting them all to the proper party responsible for their maintenance. I understand the city has just begun doing this for downtown lights, but this needs to be city-wide. Citizen reports are very helpful but can't be relied upon as the sole source of bad light reporting.

Quote Originally Posted by baralheia View Post
    The main reason is until now, nobody wanted to take responsibility for discovering lights that were out and instead relied solely on reports from the public. There really needs to be someone (or multiple someones) that are tasked with finding burnt-out or otherwise inoperative lights all across the city, and reporting them all to the proper party responsible for their maintenance. I understand the city has just begun doing this for downtown lights, but this needs to be city-wide. Citizen reports are very helpful but can't be relied upon as the sole source of bad light reporting.
    Agree totally, and have to add that we shouldn't have to report all the potholes, all the poorly striped roads, all the traffic signals that are out, etc. I know that the city's huge sq-mile-wise, and things are tight, but it's always seemed strange that if we want things fixed, we're the ones that have to tell them about it and they don't have anybody out checking on a regular basis (or reporting those things as they run across them). They might, but it seems like certain things stay broken until somebody (or somebodies) report them (personal experience with that, so it's not just a hypothetical).

I bet that if the city included a $1 per reported (non duplicate) light out bonus for city employees we would have all lights within city limits fixed by OG&E very quickly.

Edit: and really how much would that cost the city? How many lights are out? 20,000 at most? That's a rounding error. I'm sure most wouldn't bother, but I'm sure there are a few city employees who would go crazy and end up with a large check.

Would be even better when they get on board with LED(supposedly they are doing so) they install smart lights so the lights report themselves when they burn out.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Agree totally, and have to add that we shouldn't have to report all the potholes, all the poorly striped roads, all the traffic signals that are out, etc. I know that the city's huge sq-mile-wise, and things are tight, but it's always seemed strange that if we want things fixed, we're the ones that have to tell them about it and they don't have anybody out checking on a regular basis (or reporting those things as they run across them). They might, but it seems like certain things stay broken until somebody (or somebodies) report them (personal experience with that, so it's not just a hypothetical).
    Understand the frustration, but feel the need to point out that the City does tackle potholes, traffic signals and some other issues proactively.

A few examples:

- OKCPD officers and OKCFD firefighters report street, code enforcement traffic issues to our PW streets department when they see issues.

- City crews are routinely out filling potholes in areas that weren't necessarily reported through the Action Center.

- Code inspectors have areas of the city where they do proactive enforcement.

- The Action Center staff regularly provides internal training so current City employees can report issues.

- Each new employee that starts with the City is educated on the Action Center and how to report things to the Action Center.

As you pointed out the city is large and we need as many eyes as we can to let us know where there are problems. This is especially true when it is a public safety hazard such as a traffic sign down, debris in the street, water line break or traffic signal malfunction. That way we can get a crew dispatched as quickly as possible. Because of limited resources, the City, through the Action Center's tools, has worked hard to make it as easy and convenient as possible for people to report and issue.

Thread Information