Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Streetlight Outages

Default Re: Streetlight Outages

This needs to be expanded around all of OKC. Any way we can get a google maps put together and to get a list going?

My understanding is it either will be or already has been expanded so anyone can add to it.

3. Default Re: Streetlight Outages

Just an example, I reported the 2 lights at 23rd & Classen, both lights are unlit, these are on traffic signal fixtures, so it belongs to the city, not OG&E.
    Normally somebody in Streets Dept takes care of it,I get an email back confirmed. Today the reply was "refer to traffic ops". I assume the work order gets forwarded on, we'll see. I think there should be a better system, something better than the method we have now.

I have reported the lights on May from about NW 16th to NW 23rd.. its crazy dark over there. there are so many dark spots around the city they really need to get this fixed!

I know it is under construction and is being completely overhauled, but the darkness @ I-44 and I-235 with all the blending lanes, ramps, curbs - it is incredibly dangerous for people unfamiliar to try and navigate these clovers and ramps @ night.

Try exiting I-40 onto the OKC Boulevard as you head east...

Every single light is out and there is a pretty big curve there. You can see marks along the retaining wall by those who ran off the road.

I've never seen anything like this where the city, OG&E and ODOT all don't seem to really care about this issue. So bizarre.

One has to wonder what OG+E's maintenance obligations are for streetlights as part of their Franchise Agreement with the city. My understanding of it is that they are supposed to install lights where the city asks them to for the right to install their poles, lines, and other utility infrastructure on city Rights-of-Way. I big question is whether they are obligated to maintain the lights within a certain period of notification. If so, is the city in an enforceable position to make them do it and is not doing so.

These issues only seem to come up for discussion when the submit for the Franchise Renewal every 10 years or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Pioneer View Post
    One has to wonder what OG+E's maintenance obligations are for streetlights as part of their Franchise Agreement with the city. My understanding of it is that they are supposed to install lights where the city asks them to for the right to install their poles, lines, and other utility infrastructure on city Rights-of-Way. I big question is whether they are obligated to maintain the lights within a certain period of notification. If so, is the city in an enforceable position to make them do it and is not doing so.

These issues only seem to come up for discussion when the submit for the Franchise Renewal every 10 years or so.
    OGE is on my sh*tlist for more than one reason:
    2009ish "Try Smart Hours - best thing ever!"
    20016ish: "State of OK, we are requesting compensation for lost funds due to Smart Hours
    2014: "look at this amazing tower we are going to build, we'll have to bulldoze Stage Center of course". Bulldozes stage center. Tower cancelled.
    Forever: Can't keep street lights on.

Generally, these are the reasons I say OGE = Trash.

*Dates are probably wrong. You get the point.

Blog Entries

We have some of the lowest elec rates in the country. Since they are a controlled utility, perhaps we should let them raise rates and solve some of these problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    We have some of the lowest elec rates in the country. Since they are a controlled utility, perhaps we should let them raise rates and solve some of these problems.
    An interesting proposal. Since we ARE the lowest in the country in what we charge businesses according to this source, I agree. Let's let them start paying their fair share.

11. Default Re: Streetlight Outages

There was an Elliot Electric truck tonight in midtown working on lights, not sure what kind of route they were taking, but maybe this is a good sign

Ever since Cody's exploration I have been paying more attention to these while driving around town, and was thinking of bringing a notepad with me and making some notes on some I can report in.

I was amazed by how many are out! It would be far easier to list all of the ones that are working.

^^^^

14. Default Re: Streetlight Outages

I've noticed that the interstate sign lights all seem to be off these days in favor of having them lit up from the street lights. Anyone else notice this or is it just happenstance for my time of day on 240/44/40?

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    I've noticed that the interstate sign lights all seem to be off these days in favor of having them lit up from the street lights. Anyone else notice this or is it just happenstance for my time of day on 240/44/40?
    That is a deliberate decision by ODOT. Once they burn out, they aren't replaced. Been the case for quite awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by rte66man View Post
    That is a deliberate decision by ODOT. Once they burn out, they aren't replaced. Been the case for quite awhile.
    I believe they have switched to a more reflective sign thus headlights are more effective at illuminating them.

I do wish they would take down the light fixtures when they do that though, just to eliminate the appearance that they are "burnt out".

I just corresponded with the OKC Action Center on Twitter and they confirmed that street lights that are on top of traffic signal poles are the city's responsibility and should be reported to the city.

You can report them three ways:

1. Direct message @OKCAction on Twitter.
    2. Text the info to (405) 252-1053‬.
    3. Use the OKC Connect app. Click Submit a Request > Traffic Signage/Signals > Street Sign Missing or Damaged. Be sure to describe the lights as on top of street signal poles.
    Last edited by ypsiexplorer; 01-24-2018 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Formatting

There really needs to be a centralized place to report this sort of stuff that then passes it on to the appropriate responsible party. Requiring the citizen doing to the reporting to figure out the cryptic requirements themselves is poor customer service which in turn is going to lead to poor issue resolution.

Millions of companies all over the world have help desks/service centers/whatever that take every issue, then decide who it belongs to, and reassign it appropriately. Not sure why OKC can't figure out how to do this, I've been working with help desks for decades. The Action Center is fairly good, but they should accept *everything* and then route it to the appropriate dept. correctly, and some help desk systems even allow for interaction between your help desk and another company's (or at least some kind of reference between them, like ticket numbers, etc.).

I agree! I would love to see the Action Center be the central clearinghouse for all street light outages in the city. They could route them appropriately based on location and category. Anyone going to a city council meeting anytime soon?

Quote Originally Posted by ypsiexplorer View Post
    I agree! I would love to see the Action Center be the central clearinghouse for all street light outages in the city. They could route them appropriately based on location and category. Anyone going to a city council meeting anytime soon?
    I'll contact my councilman (Ed) and see what he says.

Good idea. I just emailed Meg Salyer (my councilwoman) as well.

I don't see what's wrong with using the app. It's a great tool

Woohoo for citizens working together to improve our city!

Quote Originally Posted by bradh View Post
    I don't see what's wrong with using the app. It's a great tool
    It is good, but it'd be even better if you could enter *any* streetlight outage in it instead of having to call/email OG&E, it'd be one-stop-problem-reporting.

But that's not gonna happen, I spoke with Ed Shadid's right-hand-man yesterday and he said that since the city has never repaired streetlights that are out, they don't have that capability in the Action Center to do that at all. It's always been done by OG&E or another power company that covers areas that OG&E doesn't (didn't know there were any except the Edmond one, but he listed a few). He wasn't aware of the streetlight-on-a-signal-pole caveat, though, so I guess those have to be reported to the city, and I'm guessing if you call/email OG&E about those, you'll get a reply that they're not OG&E's responsibility and you'll have to report it to the city. Oh well, it was worth a try...

Thread Information