Widgets Magazine
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Streetlight Outages

Default Re: Streetlight Outages

Yeah. I'm not noticing much improvement either, at least on the routes I drive. Pretty much the same areas that have been dark for a year or longer are still dark. Very disappointed and somewhat surprised with Mayor Holt since he was really adamant about getting this resolved.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    I think its very funny that Oklahoma is so cheap that they have freeway signs peeling off and nobody does anything about it. haha, lol. Particularly since those signs are made in prisons; something Oklahoma used to get so excited about that their having so many prisons was as a 'business model'. Face PALM.
    All state and federal road signs must meet design specs.

I’m not sure, but isn’t it license plates made by inmates, not road signs?

3. Default Re: Streetlight Outages

In the defense of the city. I drive by a number of places where the lights were out and they were repaired only to be out again. So they have been trying. Sometimes fixing one thing only to have something else go wrong can be VERY CHALLENGING!!!

I still say strong pressure should be applied to those outlets who buy used copper wiring. If we could cut off or limit the money supply then copper theft would drop dramatically.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    In the defense of the city. I drive by a number of places where the lights were out and they were repaired only to be out again. So they have been trying. Sometimes fixing one thing only to have something else go wrong can be VERY CHALLENGING!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bucktalk View Post
    I still say strong pressure should be applied to those outlets who buy used copper wiring. If we could cut off or limit the money supply then copper theft would drop dramatically.
    Should only be allowed to recycle or sell used electrical wiring if you have an electricians license.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Should only be allowed to recycle or sell used electrical wiring if you have an electricians license.
    I wonder how long it would take for the state government to overrule the city if the city passed an ordinance like that.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    This is a really good idea. I bet this curbs thefts ten fold.

Quote Originally Posted by bucktalk View Post
    I agree. I propose all wiring sold at any scrap or other yard its required to have a 15 or 30 day waiting period to actually pay out. Most stealers are wanting fast cash so if we eliminate the quickness of cash we might stem theft. The challenge is if they take it to another city to sell with less stringent rules.

Somehow we have to slow down quickness of cash to sellers. If they have to list where they got it and with a 30 day wait maybe we hire a full time investigator (shared costs by local cities/state) to investigate sales claims (where it came from). Would save us more than cost of investigator plus is safer

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    All state and federal road signs must meet design specs.

I’m not sure, but isn’t it license plates made by inmates, not road signs?
    Oklahoma Correctional Industries produces all license plates, but I'm not sure if they produce highway signage. I know OCI's sign shop is capable of creating a wide variety of metal reflective signs too - and a lot of municipalities use them for signage - but I can't find any information on whether or not they make the green highway signage.

Quote Originally Posted by baralheia View Post
    Oklahoma Correctional Industries produces all license plates, but I'm not sure if they produce highway signage. I know OCI's sign shop is capable of creating a wide variety of metal reflective signs too - and a lot of municipalities use them for signage - but I can't find any information on whether or not they make the green highway signage.
    Depending on the project, BGS's (big green signs) are either produced in-house by ODOT or by contractors. OCI is not involved.

Yes. Yes and yes.

Quote Originally Posted by OKC Guy View Post
    I agree. I propose all wiring sold at any scrap or other yard its required to have a 15 or 30 day waiting period to actually pay out. Most stealers are wanting fast cash so if we eliminate the quickness of cash we might stem theft. The challenge is if they take it to another city to sell with less stringent rules.

Somehow we have to slow down quickness of cash to sellers. If they have to list where they got it and with a 30 day wait maybe we hire a full time investigator (shared costs by local cities/state) to investigate sales claims (where it came from). Would save us more than cost of investigator plus is safer

Along I-35 in Norman and Moore there are more lights out than on. I have reported to OGE but don't have a lot of hope of it getting fixed anytime soon.

There may be a different reason for that. From someone who has been live-tweeting city meetings who is at today's city council meeting: https://twitter.com/OKC_SPAN/status/1176551246003671040

A lot of lights along the interstates are offline for LED conversion, so if you’ve noticed it being darker, that’s why.

It's always darkest before the dawn!

Here's hoping we start to see some real improvements soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    It's always darkest before the dawn!

Here's hoping we start to see some real improvements soon.
    It's always darkest before it goes completely pitch black WRT to OKC streetlights, IMO. It's probably going to literally take to the end of my life (hopefully 40+ years from now, realistically) for them (OKC, ODOT, and OG&E) to fix the problem, if even then, might make sure my funeral is during the day so people can find the route to the cemetery easily. I've pretty much given up on them fixing the lights (as well as the potholes, traffic lights, lane striping, and saving old buildings).

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    There may be a different reason for that. From someone who has been live-tweeting city meetings who is at today's city council meeting: https://twitter.com/OKC_SPAN/status/1176551246003671040
    That "someone" is Marty Peercy who runs "OKC-SPAN" and live-tweets from meetings of the OKC City Council, Planning Commission, County Commissioners, Jail Commission and others. He offers a good mix of straight reporting, context, humor & snark, and IMHO offers the greatest coverage of these meetings.

Oh yeah, I am quite pleased to have found his account. It's a great service to be able to follow along with those meetings.

I didn't know who it actually was, though now that I look at the account you can click through to the details.

18. Default Re: Streetlight Outages

Quote Originally Posted by CloudDeckMedia View Post
    That "someone" is Marty Peercy who runs "OKC-SPAN" and live-tweets from meetings of the OKC City Council, Planning Commission, County Commissioners, Jail Commission and others. He offers a good mix of straight reporting, context, humor & snark, and IMHO offers the greatest coverage of these meetings.
    He is also married to JoBeth Hamon, if I'm not mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by thetravellers View Post
    it's always darkest before it goes completely pitch black wrt to okc streetlights, imo. It's probably going to literally take to the end of my life (hopefully 40+ years from now, realistically) for them (okc, odot, and og&e) to fix the problem, if even then, might make sure my funeral is during the day so people can find the route to the cemetery easily. I've pretty much given up on them fixing the lights (as well as the potholes, traffic lights, lane striping, and saving old buildings).
    rotflmao

20. Default Re: Streetlight Outages

I had a city survey come in the mail. Concerning safety, my comments were related to not feeling safe with dark unlit streets and highways.

21. Default Re: Streetlight Outages

I bet once OKC lights its lights and installs other lights along sidewalks, the NASA night picture will be much brighter than the current pic that shows OKC a bit malnourished if you ask me.

Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

22. Default Re: Streetlight Outages

just for prospective, Chicago looks incredible:

Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

23. Default Re: Streetlight Outages

They are resurfacing Hefner Road from Meridian to Rockwell. At the same time they are replacing all the conduit and wiring of the street lights. Since the lights had already been replaced with much more efficient LEDs the new wiring is aluminum. Just what has been suggested many times on here. At least there's one project doing this.

And the city never put freeway lights up on Hefner Parkway between NW 50th and the Kilpatrick. I still can't wrap my mind around why they wouldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowser214 View Post
    And the city never put freeway lights up on Hefner Parkway between NW 50th and the Kilpatrick. I still can't wrap my mind around why they wouldn't.
    It had to do with the surrounding neighborhoods and the lake.

https://www.oklahoman.com/article/33...out-by-request

Thread Information