Widgets Magazine
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Streetlight Outages

Default Re: Streetlight Outages

2 comments:

It's sad that the Mayor's Twitter feed shows I35 north of I40 instead of I235.

Does the comment about ODOT jurisdiction mean they are still responsible for the lights that are out in the recently opened section of 235?

Need to place exploding dye packs inside.

Also place the work box at least 20 feet up this at least requires long ladder or bucket truck

Set up an internal circuit monitoring system so once a light goes out it is not sending signal to next light (and so on) which is shown on a monitor and police can be dispatched immediately

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    To give a little credit. The lights along Hefner Road below the dam are all on. They’ been out for months.
    Probably using all the mega proceeds from all the speeding trap tickets gleened by lowering speed limit from 45 to 40 with no schools, no houses, no businesses and no nothing lol.

Quote Originally Posted by OKC Guy View Post
    Need to place exploding dye packs inside.

Also place the work box at least 20 feet up this at least requires long ladder or bucket truck

Set up an internal circuit monitoring system so once a light goes out it is not sending signal to next light (and so on) which is shown on a monitor and police can be dispatched immediately
    These are great suggestions!

Quote Originally Posted by rte66man View Post
    2 comments:

It's sad that the Mayor's Twitter feed shows I35 north of I40 instead of I235.

Does the comment about ODOT jurisdiction mean they are still responsible for the lights that are out in the recently opened section of 235?
    I'd imagine that if it's open, then the project has been turned over to OKC and now OG&E and OKC are responsible, but it would depend on the official turnover date/policy, which we probably don't know the details of (it could be open, but not officially "turned over").

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    I'd imagine that if it's open, then the project has been turned over to OKC and now OG&E and OKC are responsible, but it would depend on the official turnover date/policy, which we probably don't know the details of (it could be open, but not officially "turned over").
    To my knowledge, multi-phase projects are not turned over to local control until the entire project is complete. That's why ODOT is still responsible for fixing lighting along the Boulevard. So for the recently opened section of the I-235 interchange project, under the massive BNSF rail bridge, that section should still be under ODOT's control, I believe.

This is a pretty good write up about the problem...

https://newsok.com/article/5621546/s...utpace-repairs

Quote Originally Posted by Quicker View Post
    This is a pretty good write up about the problem...

https://newsok.com/article/5621546/s...utpace-repairs
    Thank you for posting. We need to keep on with the pressure and keep reporting.

I like Cornett but where in the hell has he been the past few years? It seems like under the last few years of his leadership he took his already hands off approach and moved his hands further and further away. I understand the mayor has very little official power, but the mayor holds tremendous leadership. He can influence action. Why is a David Holt having to force all of these issues all of the sudden? Holt was even on his staff...

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    I like Cornett but where in the hell has he been the past few years? It seems like under the last few years of his leadership he took his already hands off approach and moved his hands further and further away. I understand the mayor has very little official power, but the mayor holds tremendous leadership. He can influence action. Why is a David Holt having to force all of these issues all of the sudden? Holt was even on his staff...
    Probably because his eye was on the Governors seat and he was just being a pol.

On the way home today on I-235 by General Electric, they were out there working on the lights. They had most of them on for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    On the way home today on I-235 by General Electric, they were out there working on the lights. They had most of them on for that matter.
    Nice to hear, my wife's been griping about that area for a couple of years (she works seasonally at the Tourism dept. over there).

Can someone explain why they continue to use the orange-colored lights rather than white? I'm sure there's a good reason, but it seems to me that the cool white ones put out better light. When they're on, that is.

Quote Originally Posted by turnpup View Post
    Can someone explain why they continue to use the orange-colored lights rather than white? I'm sure there's a good reason, but it seems to me that the cool white ones put out better light. When they're on, that is.
    FYI, I believe there have been some studies pointing to negative effects of the white or cool light from LEDs that have caused early adapters of the lights to invest in warm colored LEDs.

PS, this is from a quick Google search, I don't remember the exact article I read: https://globalnews.ca/news/4122605/l...ealth-effects/

http://theconversation.com/american-...etlights-61191

I agree with you in my preference of cool white LEDs. I think they make cities look better.

If you're talking about replacing burned out lights, then they're supposed to be replacing them with LEDs, no idea why they're not. If you're talking about new ones, then those should also be LED, I'd think, but maybe they're just running through current stock. The email reply I got from the OCC said "OG&E is currently transitioning to LED lighting through fruition (I assume they mean "attrition"). Meaning when a light needs to be repaired OG&E will be replacing it with the new LED lighting. These lights do have a communication feature and will report to us when they are out or have a problem that needs to be repaired. "

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    If you're talking about replacing burned out lights, then they're supposed to be replacing them with LEDs, no idea why they're not. If you're talking about new ones, then those should also be LED, I'd think, but maybe they're just running through current stock. The email reply I got from the OCC said "OG&E is currently transitioning to LED lighting through fruition (I assume they mean "attrition"). Meaning when a light needs to be repaired OG&E will be replacing it with the new LED lighting. These lights do have a communication feature and will report to us when they are out or have a problem that needs to be repaired. "
    No, I wasn't referring to the ones that are out. When I see lights on (and I don't know if they're LED or not) it's the color I'm speaking to. Many of the lights are this orange tone, while some of them are the clear white. I was curious if there was some reason why they used orange rather than white. Plu Pan may have answered that for me just above.

I know the orange (sodium) lights cut through the fog/smog better and are not as blinding.

I know the orange (sodium) lights cut through the fog/smog better and are not as blinding.
    Thank you. I figured it was something along those lines.

It's also a factor of lifespan. The yellow-orange lamps are high pressure sodium lamps; the bluish-white ones are metal halide lamps. While high pressure sodium lamps can take as long as 10 minutes to fully warm up, they produce light from the moment they are powered (albiet dimly); metal halide lamps take much longer before they begin producing useful light. In addition, high pressure sodium lamps are almost as energy efficient as LED lamps, and have a long lifespan of 24,000 to 40,000 hours, which metal halide lamps can't match. As a result, up to this point, high pressure sodium lamps offered the lowest cost way to provide street lighting for municipalities and utility companies. However, both lighting technologies are being eclipsed by LED lighting because of the better color rendering, lack of a warm-up period, and superior energy efficiency and lifespan (up to 200,000 hours!), which is why you see streetlights slowly being converted to LED.

Quote Originally Posted by baralheia View Post
    It's also a factor of lifespan. The yellow-orange lamps are high pressure sodium lamps; the bluish-white ones are metal halide lamps. While high pressure sodium lamps can take as long as 10 minutes to fully warm up, they produce light from the moment they are powered (albiet dimly); metal halide lamps take much longer before they begin producing useful light. In addition, high pressure sodium lamps are almost as energy efficient as LED lamps, and have a long lifespan of 24,000 to 40,000 hours, which metal halide lamps can't match. As a result, up to this point, high pressure sodium lamps offered the lowest cost way to provide street lighting for municipalities and utility companies. However, both lighting technologies are being eclipsed by LED lighting because of the better color rendering, lack of a warm-up period, and superior energy efficiency and lifespan (up to 200,000 hours!), which is why you see streetlights slowly being converted to LED.
    Thank you for the additional information. So if I'm reading this correctly, if/when the older technologies are replaced by LED, the light color will be "white" rather than "orange"?

Thank you for the additional information. So if I'm reading this correctly, if/when the older technologies are replaced by LED, the light color will be "white" rather than "orange"?
    Correct, as far as I am aware; I haven't seen any LED streetlights that use any other color of LED than white for illumination.

23. Default Re: Streetlight Outages

we have LEDs street lights in orange, yellow, or blue here in addition to warm and cold white. ..
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

24. Default Re: Streetlight Outages

BTW is I-40 Crosstown still lit at night? Any pics?
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    BTW is I-40 Crosstown still lit at night? Any pics?
    last I saw everything to the west of the skydance bridge is lit, but everything to the east of the skydance bridge to I35/235 junction is unlit.

Thread Information