Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Metro Diner

Default Metro Diner

Metro Diner to open first Oklahoma location in far north OKC

A restaurant chain featured on the Food Network show “Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives” is planning to open its first location in Oklahoma City at Memorial and May.

The Florida-based company has leased 4,000 square feet in the Shoppes at Quail Springs development and will be located directly north of Salata.

Metro Diner offers classic diner fare with all-day breakfast and has over 50 locations in Alabama, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Kentucky, Nevada, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, and Virginia.

The Food Network show hosted by Guy Fieri featured Metro's meatloaf, steak salad and stuffed French toast.

The Shoppes at Quail Springs is a 91,000 square foot two story retail and office center located on the southwest corner of May and the Kilpartrick Turnpike. It was developed and is owned by Mazaheri Properties.

Metro Diner has won several awards in the markets it serves, such as Best Breakfast, Best Diner, Best Family Dining and Best Fried Chicken.

The company does not franchisee and directly operates all of their locations.

The new Oklahoma City location will open later in 2018.

2. Default Re: Metro Diner

Well you had my attention at diner but when you said fried chicken you sold me on driving from Moore and trying it!

Default Re: Metro Diner

I'm glad to see the diner concept making a comeback. It seems the overchromed airstream trope is stuck deeply into so many minds (and as seen in the pictures, the chrome doesn't always go away...), but the thing I've always appreciated about diners is simple, affordable food. Not that I'm saying there is anything wrong with rosemary fried chicken, a side of saffron mashed potatoes, and "haricot verts" (just putting it that way doubles the price), but sometimes you DON'T want to pay $35 for chicken and veg.

4. Default Re: Metro Diner

Quote Originally Posted by stile99 View Post
    I'm glad to see the diner concept making a comeback. It seems the overchromed airstream trope is stuck deeply into so many minds (and as seen in the pictures, the chrome doesn't always go away...), but the thing I've always appreciated about diners is simple, affordable food. Not that I'm saying there is anything wrong with rosemary fried chicken, a side of saffron mashed potatoes, and "haricot verts" (just putting it that way doubles the price), but sometimes you DON'T want to pay $35 for chicken and veg.
    HAHA.... I've always wondered how many people are shocked when they order something with haricots verts expecting to see something fancy and exotic and see green beans arrive at the table.

In the era of the $20 breakfast, Metro seems to be a throw-back to solid food for a decent price.

I'm sure there is room in the market for both.

6. Default Re: Metro Diner

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    In the era of the $20 breakfast, Metro seems to be a throw-back to solid food for a decent price.

I'm sure there is room in the market for both.
    Well I paid almost $18 for breakfast at Sheri's Diner this morning including tip...... So I agree with you.

Granted I had the bone-in ham steak but it was worth it.... Just look at the sear and crust they got on this piece of pork!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1789.JPG 
Views:	130 
Size:	512.4 KB 
ID:	14363

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    Well I paid almost $18 for breakfast at Sheri's Diner this morning including tip...... So I agree with you.

Granted I had the bone-in ham steak but it was worth it.... Just look at the sear and crust they got on this piece of pork!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1789.JPG 
Views:	130 
Size:	512.4 KB 
ID:	14363
    That looks *almost* as good as The Hungry Frog's Big Ham Steak.

Back on topic, though, nice to see an all-day breakfast place, shame it's so far up May Ave from us, but we'll still give it a try one late Sat afternoon.

Love the Hungry Frog and I need to get back there soon.

Their breakfast potatoes are sublime.

9. Default Re: Metro Diner

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Love the Hungry Frog and I need to get back there soon.

Their breakfast potatoes are sublime.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    That looks *almost* as good as The Hungry Frog's Big Ham Steak.
    Yep... Like Hungry Frog too and generally if I am there for lunch I'm eating breakfast and it's their ham steak. Although they do a pretty decent chicken fry steak too.

What are the hours of that new Hal Smith breakfast place on the north side that I can never remember the name of for some reason... Something Jam

Is it closing in the afternoon also?

I guess I've never noticed there being a lack of places to go for 24 hour breakfast because there's always a Waffle House, Mama Lou's, or truck stop available to me that serves breakfast 24 hours.

^

Neighborhood Jam.

6:30AM to 2:30PM.

11. Default Re: Metro Diner

Pretty sure Woodbridge serves breakfast all day too and their south location is open until 10:30 PM and the north is open to 8:30 PM.

I think Nina's, where Coits used to be on Portland, serves breakfast all day too and it's open until 8:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    Pretty sure Woodbridge serves breakfast all day too and their south location is open until 10:30 PM and the north is open to 8:30 PM.

I think Nina's, where Coits used to be on Portland, serves breakfast all day too and it's open until 8:00 PM.
    Did not know that about Woodbridge, it's not far from us, have to check it out, thx! As far as Nina's, last time I drove by it didn't look open, but maybe I'm thinking of another spot near it, will check it out next time I'm around there.

13. Default Re: Metro Diner

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Did not know that about Woodbridge, it's not far from us, have to check it out, thx! As far as Nina's, last time I drove by it didn't look open, but maybe I'm thinking of another spot near it, will check it out next time I'm around there.
    Been about a year since I was at Nina's last. So it's possible they closed but last time I was there they were doing a pretty brisk business at lunch.

14. Default Re: Metro Diner

I get why so many new restaurants are going in along Memorial, but I wish some of these guys would look at the success of Pub W on the southside and realize that we are starving for quality restaurants.

15. Default Re: Metro Diner

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    I get why so many new restaurants are going in along Memorial, but I wish some of these guys would look at the success of Pub W on the southside and realize that we are starving for quality restaurants.
    Agreed... as a resident of Moore. Most of my dining takes place north of I-40.....Heck north of I-240 for that matter.

There will likely be more Metro Diner locations in OKC, just not exactly sure where.

This is their future spot at May & Memorial.

Hard to tell but they have done a lot of work inside and the sign should be going up soon.

Metro Diner is now open.

Sun – Thu: 7:00 am – 8:00 pm
    Fri & Sat: 7:00 am – 9:00 pm

Menu

19. Default Re: Metro Diner

Damn I'm glad they are on the north side and not closer to me.... that fried chicken meal is definitely not keto and is my daily calorie allowance in one meal....... May have to make it a cheat meal when I drop another 15 though!

Has anyone else tried this yet? I’m anxious to give it a shot.

Went there today. Had the meat lover Omelette. Pretty good food, hard to mess up breakfast. Good sized Biscuits. Supposedly everything is fresh never frozen. Still working out kinks with staff and cooks. I'll think that will work itself out. I like jimmy's egg but this is a good choice too.

How does it compare to black bear on the other side of memorial service road?

My family agreed that it was a lot better than Black Bear. The cinnamon roll pancakes and the monte cristo were hits for us. I had their protein breakfast and the scrambled eggs were cooked to what I think is perfection and the bacon was very very tasty. Avocado toast was a hit for the wife. The service was really good. We got right in at 9A this past Sunday.

The wife got us invited to their soft opening a few weeks ago so we got to try it with a couple of friends. They were clearly training but we all noted that it was similar to Charleston's in that nothing like empty sugar packets, straw wrappers, etc. stayed on the table longer than a few seconds before someone swooped in to get it off our table.

It really was outstanding. The fried chicken was legit and the huge pancakes were great. That scoop of strawberry butter was a nice touch. We spoke to one of the owners and he talked about being from Tampa and being in the restaurant business for several decades. Then casually mentioned that he founded Outback steakhouse, sold it off in the early 2000's, then founded longhorn steakhouse. Lol. Being an inquisitive OKCTalker I asked if he was working with someone local or just decided to try OKC... He then said he's working with someone local, Hal Smith, maybe we've heard of him. Lol. We laughed and said that explains the similarities to the service at Charleston's and he says they call it the 5 second rule and they preach it to the workers.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_T._Sullivan

All in all it was very good and I see it doing well here.

Thread Information