Widgets Magazine

Thread: Old Theater on I-240 & South Shields

Default Old Theater on I-240 & South Shields

Can anyone help me remember the name (I’d love to search for photographs) of the budget multiplex theater, long since demolished, in the corner of the big retail development across from the Home Depot? At the time the anchor was a Venture retail store and I believe has long served as Burlington coat factory in recent years. Same plot as the Langston’s south side and the old circuit city.

I have fond childhood memories of that theater. It was Art Deco done in a mega 70’s way.

Default Re: Old Theater on I-240 & South Shields

Wasn't that Super Saver Cinema, the same outfit that operated at 63rd & NW Expressway?

3. Default Re: Old Theater on I-240 & South Shields

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Wasn't that Super Saver Cinema, the same outfit that operated at 63rd & NW Expressway?
    Pretty sure it was.

That wasn’t my part of town growing up. South side in the 70’s and 80’s was like a white christian suburban Mecca. Downtown was the edge of town in my little universe. But YES I googled some photos and it was part of the super saver cinema umbrella! The appointments of that interior inspire me to this day. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5BCD6049-7DEA-4720-A36B-9E0F62DD229B.jpeg 
Views:	142 
Size:	28.4 KB 
ID:	14334Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8B3D4B59-995F-4CE9-9070-727A7D6D6C8F.jpeg 
Views:	114 
Size:	160.0 KB 
ID:	14335Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8B3D4B59-995F-4CE9-9070-727A7D6D6C8F.jpeg 
Views:	114 
Size:	160.0 KB 
ID:	14335Name:  9FB63D1D-6FC9-4CBB-AFFF-7C50AE61D241.jpeg
Views: 811
Size:  29.3 KB there was glass block and light emitting diode (not to be totally confused Woth modern led) strips hidden everywhere. I’ve always dreamed of salvaging one of these sets of doors to use on a project.

that was a supersaver through till the late 90's possibly early 2000's. the shopping center was originally configured as a small shopping mall (south shields mall) and the theatre's entrance was originally inside of the mall. all of the art deco elements were added in the early/mid 80's when the mall portion was removed and the theatre was reconfigired to open to the outside... i'm pretty sure that's when the place converted to supersaver. before it was the dollar theatre, i believe it was called south shields cinema or something like that.

edit:

i looked it up in the oklahoman archives and looks like it was originally called south shields mall twin. the mall was removed in 1986 and the shopping center was renamed south shields plaza. i'm pretty sure that supersaver had more than just two screens, so it's likely more were added in the renovation.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SuperSaver.jpg 
Views:	855 
Size:	198.7 KB 
ID:	14337  

I remember them and the lit glass block interiors and maybe just weekends in evening there would be smoke machines blowing in hallways and lights when you were exiting theater. kind of bizarre but fun.

Great stuff. Thanks Martin! The interiors were awe inspiring to a fledgling sci-fi nerd. I read enough popular science in the early 80s to really believe we’d have flying cars, jet belts, and moon bases by the year 2000. This theater reinforced that vision as a youngster.

Might be worth posting some of those pictures here:
    http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/17710

i couldn't find any pics of the south okc super saver, but the interiors of the one from tulsa seem very similar to what i remember:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SuperSaver01.jpg 
Views:	738 
Size:	784.1 KB 
ID:	14340   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SuperSaver02.jpg 
Views:	759 
Size:	491.8 KB 
ID:	14341   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SuperSaver03.jpg 
Views:	770 
Size:	776.3 KB 
ID:	14342   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SuperSaver04.jpg 
Views:	778 
Size:	107.3 KB 
ID:	14343  

I can't say I ever came here frequently, but if I remember correctly I think I saw The Mummy here before it shut down. I did always think it had a striking appearance and those photos match up with my memories.

12. Default Re: Old Theater on I-240 & South Shields

I remember Super Saver very well. It was the last project I was over as an electrician before I moved on to other things. That would have been 1986 into early 1987. A lot of the admittedly cool lighting was unusual for the time and was a pain. But it turned out well.

Ah yes. I remember the Logan's Run style tunnels that led to the theaters. I saw many a movie at the one on NW Expwy and 63rd, but the one that sticks out in my mind the most was Bill and Ted's.

The lighting was really cool. Wish we had current projects in south okc to discuss.

Back in the day it had Art Deco carpeting to look like a wall-wall persian rug, but the photos from the Tulsa location look pretty familiar. I can’t imagine being the electrician on that job...so many lighting techniques that are still cutting edge today.

Super Saver Cinemas was my jam when I was little. Ever the frugal one, my mom liked for us to patronize the dollar theater more regularly than the first run theaters, which didn't bother me any. Saw lots of movies there. Also shopped at the Venture next door.

Super savers did have nice theatres. It seems they had 6 or 8 screens and a decent selection of movies. Sadly, they did not control the crowds or police the theatres. We attended once about the time they opened, but could not sit through the movie due to kids yelling at each other over the movie. We never went back. . .

Thread Information