Widgets Magazine

Thread: What would make for a compelling national feature story

1. Default What would make for a compelling national feature story

I have been presented with a unique opportunity to talk to a journalist about potential feature stories she wants to write about OKC for a global news outlet. I appreciate the thoughtful insights on this forum and thought I would give you the opportunity to throw out some ideas for possible stories she could pitch to her editors.

The counter-narrative story that attracted her to the City is the idea that OKC was the largest city in the nation that voted Trump, yet has voted several times to increase taxes on itself in order to improve quality of life in the city. And that the success of MAPS and subsequently that of the city, has been a driving force for Mayor Cornett to run for governor with some Democrats expressing support for his candidacy early on (by the way if there are any of you out there, PM me as she might be interested in interviewing you for the story).

But she is open to other compelling ideas that tell under-reported stories or unique ones from this unique heartland city on the rise.

So, with that being said, do you have a story that you think would make an interesting one for a global audience?

2. Default Re: What would make for a compelling national feature story

Reporter will be in town next week. I'll throw this out once more. She is interested in interviewing someone who normally votes Democrat who is either definitely or seriously considering voting for Cornett for Gov. Please PM me so I can forward your contact info to her.

Default Re: What would make for a compelling national feature story

If someone usually votes for the Democrat one would imagine them to be a registered Democrat or independent. That being the case, they would not be able to vote in the GOP gubernatorial primary. I think you are going to have some difficulty with this search. Good luck though.

4. Default Re: What would make for a compelling national feature story

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    If someone usually votes for the Democrat one would imagine them to be a registered Democrat or independent. That being the case, they would not be able to vote in the GOP gubernatorial primary. I think you are going to have some difficulty with this search. Good luck though.
    I understand how it reads literally but I think it may be implied that Cornett will win the primary in this case.

This reeks. It's like the entire story is going to be framed within the duopoly of current divisive politics.

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    I understand how it reads literally but I think it may be implied that Cornett will win the primary in this case.
    I think if that is the case then the story should be written after the primary. I have not seen any polling but I would be very surprised if Mick won the primary. Mick might have had a better shot had he run as an independent. I believe the GOP is more about the rural interests.

This actually is a fascinating contradiction that I can't quite explain to people. Despite our national election outcomes being overwhelmingly republican, we seem to have no problem voting to keep sales tax higher than normal, which is a bit contrary to the usual idea that Republicans despise taxes.

The only potential explanations I have are:

-People outside of OK often think it is a really bad place and couldn't imagine living here. Most people that live here are sick of this national stereotype of OK being so bad, and wish to make OKC a better place.

-The "temporary" nature of the tax makes it so that it is easy to live with.

-The "family friendly" nature of the city allows parents to justify it so that "the kids can have a better city/future".

-Want to fight the "nothing to do/see" stereotype that plagued us in the late 80's/early 90's.

-Texas. Most people in OKC have seen the massive booming DFW metroplex and realize that our city needs some level of investment to grow/close the gap.

-Sales tax increase only: the tax is easily avoidable for most who would benefit from the projects. Simply shop in one of the many surrounding areas if you really couldn't imagine paying such a tiny increase in sales tax.

-Strong sense of loyalty/community: as a city, we've had to pull together more often than most. The 1995 bombing was a sobering moment. The many tornadoes that have hit the metro also have a funny way of bringing people together.

-The money is kept local, and despite the idea of the MAPS projects being "For the people", I would venture guess that the already rich and powerful property owners benefit quite a bit from the investment. The rich and powerful have a way of shaping government outcomes in the USA.

For all intents & purposes... I'm a Democrat (technically registered Republican, but this has some benefits in a red state) that is likely voting for Cornett. Inman was my first choice. We all know how that turned out. I'm more willing to overlook somebody's political party if they are the best choice for any given election.

MAPs has been popular because it is temporary and there seemed to be accountability. Once the public figures out that the accountability isn't as great as they think, it and the TIFs will end. From south of the River, Cornett caters to the 1% at the expense of the average resident.

Quote Originally Posted by pw405 View Post
    -People outside of OK often think it is a really bad place and couldn't imagine living here. Most people that live here are sick of this national stereotype of OK being so bad, and wish to make OKC a better place.
    This is one thing I think Cornett really understands and is why I am leaning towards voting for him. He understands the importance of a positive image and has worked hard to improve OKC's perception. He understands how important this is for business. Low corporate taxes alone doesn't cut it. Why do so many corporations fleeing California go to places like Texas, North Carolina, and Georgia yet so few end up in Mississippi, West Virginia, and Oklahoma? They are all red states with an emphasis on low corporate taxes. What separates that former from the latter? Quality of life and image play a big part of that. However, there is only so much the city can do when the state legislature seems bent on living up to every negative stereotype and then some.

This is why I think the prospect of Dan Fisher as governor is so dangerous. In addition to the damage he would do to civil rights in this state and the effort he would put into turning this state into A Handmaid's Tale, he will basically show the nation that all of the stereotypes people have about Oklahoma and OKC are indeed accurate and there will be significant damage to the local economy.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    This is one thing I think Cornett really understands and is why I am leaning towards voting for him. He understands the importance of a positive image and has worked hard to improve OKC's perception. He understands how important this is for business. Low corporate taxes alone doesn't cut it. Why do so many corporations fleeing California go to places like Texas, North Carolina, and Georgia yet so few end up in Mississippi, West Virginia, and Oklahoma? They are all red states with an emphasis on low corporate taxes. What separates that former from the latter? Quality of life and image play a big part of that. However, there is only so much the city can do when the state legislature seems bent on living up to every negative stereotype and then some.

This is why I think the prospect of Dan Fisher as governor is so dangerous. In addition to the damage he would do to civil rights in this state and the effort he would put into turning this state into A Handmaid's Tale, he will basically show the nation that all of the stereotypes people have about Oklahoma and OKC are indeed accurate and there will be significant damage to the local economy.
    Dan Fisher would be an unmitigated disaster. I’ll likely leave Oklahoma if he’s elected.

Thread Information