Widgets Magazine
Page 23 of 32 FirstFirst ... 1819202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

Default Re: 2018 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

Quote Originally Posted by OUman View Post
    Not sure about way back then but for many years after deregulation, Sun Country Airlines used to fly a DC 10-10 (the one without the main center gear) between OKC and LAS. I remember seeing it on a couple occasions out there.
    Then there's this lovely image of the old concourse B, presumably taken from the old observation deck...circa 1973.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DC10-OKC.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	203.6 KB 
ID:	14875

2. Default Re: 2018 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

yes, and that's definitely a widebody DC-10.

Also, a United 747 came to OKC a year or so ago. So while rare, OKC can handle widebodies.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

3. Default Re: 2018 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Downwind17 View Post
    Then there's this lovely image of the old concourse B, presumably taken from the old observation deck...circa 1973.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DC10-OKC.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	203.6 KB 
ID:	14875
    Nice! Would be great to see more photos from that era. I think that's the same gate at which the Sun Country DC 10 would park.

The United 747 did not park at the terminal but I think it was parked just south of the cargo ramp. And OKC's runways can most definitely handle widebodies, this is one of the go-to airports for heavy DFW diversions when the weather down there is causing problems. It's been documented before when the airport has had several AA widebody diversions and an Emirates 777 as well.

Here's a great spotting video at OKC that shows the United 744.

Speaking of the runways, I saw a video on the airport's Youtube channel of one of the meetings. Apparently the crosswind runway at OKC will be switched to concrete. Several other items of interest in that video, including the cost appropriations for the terminal expansion. Mark Kranenburg also states an extension of the main runway at WPA by 1,000 feet to the north for larger business jets.

I also just saw a new video that the airport has uploaded on its YT channel, show an animation of the terminal expansion. Pretty cool. I like how the observation deck will have glass overlooking both sides of the concourse.

Real quick, where would on go to see a bunch of photos of the old terminal building and what not. I have tried googling it and can't seem to find many of them.

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyShack View Post
    Real quick, where would on go to see a bunch of photos of the old terminal building and what not. I have tried googling it and can't seem to find many of them.
    A few places I know of that *might* have them ("might" because I haven't ever looked for those kinds of pics, but they seem like a reasonable source) is Doug Dawgz Blog, OK Historical Society, Retro Metro OKC. There are some others in the sidebar of Doug's blog that could be helpful too.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    A few places I know of that *might* have them ("might" because I haven't ever looked for those kinds of pics, but they seem like a reasonable source) is Doug Dawgz Blog, OK Historical Society, Retro Metro OKC. There are some others in the sidebar of Doug's blog that could be helpful too.
    Thanks!

7. Default Re: 2018 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

I've taken several photos from the observation tower and from inside the old terminal's Concourse C if you'd like to see them. Circa late '90s early 2000s.

Quote Originally Posted by OUman View Post
    I've taken several photos from the observation tower and from inside the old terminal's Concourse C if you'd like to see them. Circa late '90s early 2000s.
    Yes, I am trying to find interior shots of before the remodel. I vaguely remember what it looks like, so I am trying to refresh my memory. And Google is not very helpful. All that comes up is 2 different exterior shots and then a bunch of images from the shooting that happened not too long ago

9. Default Re: 2018 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

Ahh, well I don't have any interior shots, sorry. Only shots of the terminla are ones that just happened to come into view when I took shots of aircraft. But I have enough to give the viewer a rough idea of how the concourses were arranged.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	88C21EA4-B9D6-4007-932B-B7A6FD57F0DD.jpeg 
Views:	115 
Size:	645.3 KB 
ID:	14880

Name:	3D9E4DC3-7D82-4729-9F35-5CFDE7FE3DF5.jpeg 
Views:	93 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	14881

Name:	673291CC-2C7D-4B66-8A01-458F765C85C5.jpeg 
Size:	673.4 KB 
ID:	14882

Name:	FDBEE9F7-36BB-4BD1-8E89-EA76A68B237F.jpeg 
Views:	106 
Size:	279.4 KB 
ID:	14883

Name:	722E2BB0-2FC2-44FC-9547-7497BAA756CE.jpeg 
Views:	109 
Size:	376.7 KB 
ID:	14884

Name:	E4BB93EE-C3A6-4A3B-8438-40367C50E68D.jpeg 
Views:	111 
Size:	176.3 KB 
ID:	14879

Name:	2B0534C4-1E96-4957-A505-88D2BA934AA1.jpeg 
Views:	107 
Size:	28.1 KB 
ID:	14885

Quote Originally Posted by DelCamino View Post

Awesome pics... thanks for sharing...

I found some great pics on gateway.okhistory.org. But like someone said in another thread, it is highly addictive.

13. Default Re: 2018 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

Flying OKC-SAT tomorrow on F9. 180 seat A320-neo and as of 5pm 38 seats were booked. Fare was $15 each way.

Yikes but that’s an awesome fare

Frontier seat maps can be especially misleading because most of their passengers will not pay extra to have an assigned seat. Once they check in the seat map will fill up. The fares are rediculous, though. I buy tickets to denver for work and they are typically $2-3 + tax. I didn’t miss any zeroes. Even though I buy the tickets I’ve only used them once, I prefer to fly on my airline but the peace of mind is worth it knowing I have a confirmed seat if I can’t get on UA.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Frontier seat maps can be especially misleading because most of their passengers will not pay extra to have an assigned seat. Once they check in the seat map will fill up. The fares are rediculous, though. I buy tickets to denver for work and they are typically $2-3 + tax. I didn’t miss any zeroes. Even though I buy the tickets I’ve only used them once, I prefer to fly on my airline but the peace of mind is worth it knowing I have a confirmed seat if I can’t get on UA.
    I sympathize with the “fly as cheap as possible” mindset but I like shelling out more for guarantees.

Quote Originally Posted by DelCamino View Post

That logo! Wish that could come back.

Quote Originally Posted by s00nr1 View Post
    Flying OKC-SAT tomorrow on F9. 180 seat A320-neo and as of 5pm 38 seats were booked. Fare was $15 each way.
    I flew Frontier two times the last month. First time since they are back in OKC as an UltraLowCost:

One round trip to Orlando in A 320, one was a brand new NEO which made me happy. The OKC to MCO, we were about 170 passengers out of 180 seats and the way back was full. That is good !

I flew to San Antonio Saturday, back yesterday, on A 319 and I think both flights were a third full... I dont give the OKC SAT route a long expectancy...

Frontier experience was fine and it was cheap. Nothing beats non stops.

Quote Originally Posted by amocore View Post
    I flew Frontier two times the last month. First time since they are back in OKC as an UltraLowCost:

One round trip to Orlando in A 320, one was a brand new NEO which made me happy. The OKC to MCO, we were about 170 passengers out of 180 seats and the way back was full. That is good !

I flew to San Antonio Saturday, back yesterday, on A 319 and I think both flights were a third full... I dont give the OKC SAT route a long expectancy...

Frontier experience was fine and it was cheap. Nothing beats non stops.
    I think your prediction is right. They ended the route before it even started! (Removed it from the schedule further out)

I think your prediction is right. They ended the route before it even started! (Removed it from the schedule further out)
    Like AUS, SAT would probably work with an RJ but not an A319 or 737. If Southwest increased its route network for SAT it might eventually work. It's a key business and tourism market in the region.

21. Default Re: 2018 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

Quote Originally Posted by swilki View Post
    That logo! Wish that could come back.
    I couldn't agree more. The current cowboy Will Rogers just doesn't fit the theme of the airport today IMO.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Blog Entries

Plus the current logo, being a cowboy, plays too much into the stereotype of what folks expect here.

https://flyokc.com/sites/default/fil...nplanement.pdf

Solid end to the summer travel season.

https://flyokc.com/sites/default/fil...nplanement.pdf

Solid end to the summer travel season.
    I wonder how well the Alaska Airlines flight to Seattle does. PDX is high on my list of non-stop flights I would love for OKC to get, but I doubt they would fly here if that Seattle flight isn't doing well.

Quote Originally Posted by jonny d View Post
    I wonder how well the Alaska Airlines flight to Seattle does. PDX is high on my list of non-stop flights I would love for OKC to get, but I doubt they would fly here if that Seattle flight isn't doing well.
    It’s averaging a 80-90% load factor for the past 3 years. Okc is stuck in a weird place with it. Alaska doesn’t think they can fill a 737, and they don’t have the fleet slack or gate space in seattle to attempt a 2nd frequency. Portland is a small market from OKC and likely couldn’t support nonstop service.

If I had to bet, I’d say Alaska’s “negative” growth is a result of a canceled flight or two. When you only operate 30 flights a month, 1 or 2 canceled flights will show up as a much larger percent; and they also don’t have any other flights to move the passengers to.

Thread Information