Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

Default Re: 2018 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    catch, was there no numbers for MDW or did ORD include the Chicago market as a whole?

very surprised there wouldn't be anything for WN's largest hub, even though the service was/will be dropped. ...
    Chicago is a combined market, I should have labeled it CHI.

When is MDW ending? I still see it in the summer schedule.

If you book a flight, but just decide not to show up and don't cancel it, but you obviously never check in, will it still count as a trip on that list you posted?

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    If you book a flight, but just decide not to show up and don't cancel it, but you obviously never check in, will it still count as a trip on that list you posted?
    No, those are actual "butts-in-seats". Even if it did, no shows are a small percentage and wouldn't sway the numbers in any meaningful manner.

Ah, that makes sense. Thank you for the response.

It will be about 8 or 9 months before the data is available, but I am curious to how F9 will stimulate the OKC-DEN market. That market peaked in 2014 and has since shrunk by about 25% (O&D traffic) over the ~2 years since they exited.

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    catch, was there no numbers for MDW or did ORD include the Chicago market as a whole?

very surprised there wouldn't be anything for WN's largest hub, even though the service was/will be dropped. ...
    Midway is heavily growth restricted, not quite as bad as LaGuardia or Reagan but still limited with the high number of daily Southwest flights (largest WN Station). As a result Southwest has grown its operation at STL as a “reliever” for MDW. Time will tell if the rebuilding of the terminal at MCI will result in a similar WN expansion there, and a resumption of service to OKC. It is too bad OKC and TUL can’t at least keep 1x daily service to MDW.

I still see OKC-MDW available for sale through the end of the schedule. I don't think it is ending?

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    Midway is heavily growth restricted, not quite as bad as LaGuardia or Reagan but still limited with the high number of daily Southwest flights (largest WN Station). As a result Southwest has grown its operation at STL as a “reliever” for MDW. Time will tell if the rebuilding of the terminal at MCI will result in a similar WN expansion there, and a resumption of service to OKC. It is too bad OKC and TUL can’t at least keep 1x daily service to MDW.
    Catch can correct me if I’m wrong but hopefully okc becomes this for Dallas love field one day. Love field is a pain to fly through, SWA books way too many flights through there.

More trans-Atlantic flights for OKC's regional peers, this time Icelandair nonstop service from Kansas City to Reykjavik. https://thepointsguy.com/2018/01/kan...00000125355431

15 years ago you would have been laughed at for even thinking such a flight could exist..

So it is an almost Transatlantic flight i guess ?
    Good for them as they get more choice to travel to Europe but still one connection.
    I am more choked by Indianapolis, being just twice as big as OKC in PAX, getting a direct flight to Paris with Delta, this year.

Quote Originally Posted by amocore View Post
    So it is an almost Transatlantic flight i guess ?
    Good for them as they get more choice to travel to Europe but still one connection.
    I am more choked by Indianapolis, being just twice as big as OKC in PAX, getting a direct flight to Paris with Delta, this year.
    There is likely more corporate O&D especially with Eli Lilly HQ'd there. Similar to the RDU-LHR flight that GlaxoSmithKline helps support. Cities without that O&D and more leisure travel to Europe, like KC and St Louis, get Iceland flights. While it's a one-stop the flights are timed so that you fly overnight and arrive in Reykjavik for the early morning flight bank to cities across Europe arriving in the late morning or early afternoon depending on location. I flew Icelandair DEN-KEF-DEN and enjoyed it, but Iceland was my final destination.

Incredible expansion by the Icelandic airlines. I wonder if something will give eventually. For example, three airlines will fly DFW-KEF next summer, when previously no one has ever flown that route. I know FI and WW are geared to the discount-Europe market along with Iceland O&D, but wow.

13. Default Re: 2018 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

I understand the appeal of the Iceland connection. But if you are going to Europe it's still a stop you have to make. So to me I don't really care if that stop is Dallas, Houston, Atl, ect. So I guess it comes down to price. Is the Iceland connection really a money saver? I am ignorant on their prices.

Iceland Air and WOW Airlines really seem to be growing like crazy.

One of the airlines that goes through Iceland allows like a 7-day layover that lets you see Iceland as part of your trip. I would take that over DFW even if it costs a little more.

Quote Originally Posted by AP View Post
    One of the airlines that goes through Iceland allows like a 7-day layover that lets you see Iceland as part of your trip. I would take that over DFW even if it costs a little more.
    They both offer the free stopover now. Not sure if they both do 7-day or not though.

Quote Originally Posted by worthy cook View Post
    I understand the appeal of the Iceland connection. But if you are going to Europe it's still a stop you have to make. So to me I don't really care if that stop is Dallas, Houston, Atl, ect. So I guess it comes down to price. Is the Iceland connection really a money saver? I am ignorant on their prices.
    $300-400 r/t to Europe isn't uncommon. WW and FI charge for literally everything (seats, carry-ons, checked bags, meals), but it can still be cheap. Having said that, the legacies are certainly fighting back and matching those fares (on certain city-pairs anyway).

Nice growth on the home stretch! Not sure if we'll see any new routes(beyond what has already been announced) off of this but we will certainly see an upgauge in equipment I'm sure

Those Frontier numbers are incredible. How is it that in their short amount of time here they surpassed Alaska which has had service all year??? Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by damonsmuz View Post
    Those Frontier numbers are incredible. How is it that in their short amount of time here they surpassed Alaska which has had service all year??? Wow.
    Alaska literally only offers ~4600 round trip seats per month. They are maxed.

What's up with this flight? Allegiant flight scheduled to operate from Fargo to Orlando diverted to OKC. The flight took off from Fargo and stayed around10,000 feet for a while. Then climbed but never exceed 19,000 feet all the way to OKC. Why would a flight operating from Fargo to Orlando divert to OKC? The flight # didn't seem to suggest it was a ferry flight. Right? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AAY.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	203.1 KB 
ID:	14362

What's up with this flight? Allegiant flight scheduled to operate from Fargo to Orlando diverted to OKC. The flight took off from Fargo and stayed around10,000 feet for a while. Then climbed but never exceed 19,000 feet all the way to OKC. Why would a flight operating from Fargo to Orlando divert to OKC? The flight # didn't seem to suggest it was a ferry flight. Right? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AAY.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	203.1 KB 
ID:	14362
    IIRC, Allegiant has contract maintenance done at OKC. Could be something mechanical happened in Fargo and they sent it to OKC...?

Quote Originally Posted by cafeboeuf View Post
    IIRC, Allegiant has contract maintenance done at OKC. Could be something mechanical happened in Fargo and they sent it to OKC...?
    That is likely. The altitude restriction sounds like a broken air conditioning pack (can't pressurize the aircraft higher)

Wow - suggests that OKC is still underserved. I get the sense F9 and NK go into markets looking to generate traffic with low fares (folks who choose to fly who otherwise may not have). For whatever reason the ULCCs have stayed away from OKC, but maybe this will change things. I wonder if SAN does well for F9 if NK will take another look here.

Thread Information