Widgets Magazine
Page 10 of 32 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

Default Re: 2018 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.ph...icial+aviation

Another huge month, keep in mind they lost a day or two because of the ice storms

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.ph...icial+aviation

Another huge month, keep in mind they lost a day or two because of the ice storms
    https://flyokc.com/sites/default/fil...nplanement.pdf

Looks like you had the wrong link in your post.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    https://flyokc.com/sites/default/fil...nplanement.pdf

Looks like you had the wrong link in your post.
    Doh!

4. Default Re: 2018 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

^Not bad, not bad at all. Especially for February.

Those numbers are great! I still don't understand Delta's route network out of OKC. Yes, I get the flights to ATL but it seems that we could use more service to SLC. 1 flight a day is pretty pathetic considering that OKC averages 400+/a day to LAX. United sends mainline to Denver. WN sends a 737 to Vegas and Phoenix and there are a bunch regionals going to LAX, Phoenix,Seattle. It seems that the need for going west is there out of OKC. Is Delta missing out on a chance to expand SLC or do they feel that 1 flight a day is all we really need?

I could see them attempting OKC-LAX since UA pulled out. There's simply no west coast presence for them, as you stated.

I could see them attempting OKC-LAX since UA pulled out. There's simply no west coast presence for them, as you stated.
    I'd love more Delta west coast presence. It's our primary choice for business, but often doesn't work when I want to get west.

Quote Originally Posted by damonsmuz View Post
    Those numbers are great! I still don't understand Delta's route network out of OKC. Yes, I get the flights to ATL but it seems that we could use more service to SLC. 1 flight a day is pretty pathetic considering that OKC averages 400+/a day to LAX. United sends mainline to Denver. WN sends a 737 to Vegas and Phoenix and there are a bunch regionals going to LAX, Phoenix,Seattle. It seems that the need for going west is there out of OKC. Is Delta missing out on a chance to expand SLC or do they feel that 1 flight a day is all we really need?
    Delta is pretty constrained at SLC right now. Once their new airport terminal project is complete they may have the capacity to increase frequencies. I could see 2x daily to SLC at that point. If you haven't been to SLC recently their new terminal is under construction next to the existing one and will be really impressive.

It's a shame because it used to be 3x daily.

Is Delta still trying to expand SEA?

I know this is way off topic, but have the been about talks about an international flight? Even one to Toronto would be killer! I know it's doubtful, but I was just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by jonny d View Post
    I know this is way off topic, but have the been about talks about an international flight? Even one to Toronto would be killer! I know it's doubtful, but I was just curious.
    I wouldn't be surprised if we saw Air Canada within 5 years. Toronto has preclearance, and they have recently been expanding to middle tier US cities. "I wouldn't be surprised" should not be taken as a "I expect".

Looking at those passenger counts made me curious as to what they were in the past. So I went to the FAA site and looked it up. I looked at 2000 numbers and noticed that OKC and Tulsa were nearly even in passenger counts. Then, I looked at 2017 expecting to see similar rankings. But OKC really separated itself with explosive growth in terms of passengers. Two energy-reliant economies with very different trajectories over the past 20 years.
    OKC in 2000 ... 1,739,169 OKC in 2017 ... 3,925,358
    Tulsa in 2000 ...1,737,672 Tulsa in 2017... 2,885,327

The Tulsa region has a less dynamic economy and slower population growth compared to the OKC region. The strong growth and increased nonstops at XNA likely also contributes to fewer potential passengers at TUL compared to years past.

15. Default Re: 2018 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

I wouldn't be surprised if we saw Air Canada within 5 years. Toronto has preclearance, and they have recently been expanding to middle tier US cities. "I wouldn't be surprised" should not be taken as a "I expect".
    Yeah, Air Canada Express already serves MCI and STL to YYZ (on CRJ2s though) and starting May 1 even OMA will have service to YYZ!

Quote Originally Posted by Celebrator View Post
    Yeah, Air Canada Express already serves MCI and STL to YYZ (on CRJ2s though) and starting May 1 even OMA will have service to YYZ!
    YYZ is a great airport for international connections. Lots of flights to Europe and Asia, and a very nice terminal for a layover. Air Canada is also a step up from the US airlines like AA and United, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    YYZ is a great airport for international connections. Lots of flights to Europe and Asia, and a very nice terminal for a layover. Air Canada is also a step up from the US airlines like AA and United, IMO.
    Indeed - AC does excellent business connecting US-Europe/Asia travelers via YYZ (and to some extent YVR). Haven't flown them personally but I know many who have and rave about the painless process to connect at YYZ. Would be incredible if AC actually came to OKC one day!

18. Default Re: 2018 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

I hope so. I used to fly into YYZ all the time. Toronto is one of my favorite cities.

19. Default Re: 2018 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

Huh. I never knew where the title came from for Rush’s “YYZ.” Now I do. Thanks Internet!

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Huh. I never knew where the title came from for Rush’s “YYZ.” Now I do. Thanks Internet!
    The rhythm is also the Morse code syntax for Y-Y-Z. Morse code is used by pilots to identify the correct radio navigation frequency when tuning into a ground based navigation radio signal.

21. Default Re: 2018 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

Thanks again, Internet!

22. Default Re: 2018 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

Also, good grief how nerdy are the guys from Rush...

Not directly tied to Oklahoma but Great Lakes Aviation CEASED operations today out of Denver. From what I read it was mainly because of pilot shortages and low pay.

Great Lakes did not fly into Oklahoma but it did offer hope to Central Plains communities for EAS service.

Quote Originally Posted by damonsmuz View Post
    Not directly tied to Oklahoma but Great Lakes Aviation CEASED operations today out of Denver. From what I read it was mainly because of pilot shortages and low pay.

Great Lakes did not fly into Oklahoma but it did offer hope to Central Plains communities for EAS service.
    Similar situation as PenAir which ended its Denver regional operations last year. That leaves Denver Air Connection (EAS to Riverton and Sheridan, WY) and Boutique Air (EAS to Cortez, Alamosa, Dodge City and a few towns in NE).

SkyWest has been aggressive at pursuing EAS flying on the 50 seat CRJ. Much more reliable and comfortable than these fly by night operations such as Great Lakes.

Thread Information