Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Bower

1. Default Re: The Bower

yep, OKC should add these little tweeks to its road construction and maintance budget - very EASY way to add to beautification of the city; bury the utilities as you reconstruct streets.

Im not saying everywhere, but I think the core of OKC (esp in/near the CBD) should be an emphasis as well as historic and tony neighborhoods. I'm fine with the poles along freeways, light poles along streets, and utility poles out in the non-historic residential, industrial, and commercial areas outside of the core OR where they would add to the character of a district/neighborhood. The wires is really my issue since OKC doesn't have much tree cover along streets to hide them - UGLY; not-so-much the poles.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Default Re: The Bower

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    That might be do-able, and would be nice to see, but again, I doubt it'll happen here, not enough money or will to do it, IMO.
    Yeah I don’t think it will either.

The land has been cleared for this project. Sorry I did not get pictures I just noticed it on my walk last night.

Blog Entries

Oh yeah, meant to mention that I saw equipment on this site last week....

Took these today:

Kewl

Though the pedestrian traffic here is likely quite low at the moment, I have to say I really appreciate the fact that the developer here has preserved sidewalk access during construction. I wish more projects considered pedestrians like this!

10. Default Re: The Bower

going up and filling in NICELY!

Blog Entries

Amazing speed. Wish they were two stories taller. Why were they allowed to be so short? Thought there were height requirements?

^^^ the midrise portion behind will be 4 or 5 stories iirc

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    Amazing speed. Wish they were two stories taller. Why were they allowed to be so short? Thought there were height requirements?
    That's just the front row along 4th.

There is a second row with a first level of parking then 3 levels above that. It's being built now, just moving more slowly due to the foundation work needed for the higher structure.

The cool thing is that all the units will have nice views due to this configuration.

Blog Entries

ah cool

This rendering shows how the 2nd row on the north half of the property will stand over the row that is right along 4th.

The ground level parking structure is mostly complete and the first level of housing is framed.

Blog Entries

I think I was recollecting this in reverse, with the taller units up against the street

Amazing we have seen so much infill development and yet, so many empty parcels remain. This is a good problem to have for our city.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    I think I was recollecting this in reverse, with the taller units up against the street
    Me too. I would have preferred a taller structure fronting 4th, but if you think about it, the layout makes sense. If it were in reverse, the units facing north wouldn't have a view of downtown as they would be blocked by the larger, four story structure.

23. Default Re: The Bower

oh well, that's the cost/risk of being downtown. Nobody's 'view' should be protected, if they want to keep their view then then they should tear down and build taller.

Blog Entries

I made a point to drive down 4th today and it looks pretty good with the heights of the neighboring building and it's right up to the sidewalk.

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    oh well, that's the cost/risk of being downtown. Nobody's 'view' should be protected, if they want to keep their view then then they should tear down and build taller.
    Sure, but it's dumb to block your own view, which is what they'd be doing here.

Thread Information